1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Jr. Reverb Path as Effects Loop?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by TeleMonkey, Jan 17, 2013.

1. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

Hey Guys. So, I've been looking around to see if there's a mod to add an effects loop to my Fender Blues Jr. amp and the thought occurred to me: Is it possible to use the built-in reverb loop as an effects loop? For example, could I take the RCA cables feeding my reverb tank, put a 1/4" adapter on them and plug them into a chain of verb and delay effects pedals, and then use the reverb knob to add/subtract saturation?

I know there are pros and cons for effects loops, and the discussion has been beaten to death on other boards, so I just want to limit the discussion to the hypothetical possibilities rather than the usefulness of loops and whatnot.

Any thoughts?

2. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

This thought had occurred to me again today while I was messing with my gear, so I thought I'd revive an old topic. Anybody got any good ideas?

3. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I'd would be interested too, since I never use my reverb. I would think BillM would have come up with this mod if it could be done.

4. laird

laird Tele-Holic

The output to the reverb tank is usually a low impedance, high current signal. If I remember correctly the Bjr has a solid state reverb driver and a 600 ohm tank.

Running it into a high impedance, low current input like a pedal or rack effect without using a load transformer could be disastrous... I wouldn't try it without having a load transformer with around a 10:1 impedance ratio.

-Laird

5. alphadog808

alphadog808 TDPRI Member

Hi guys,
    Saw this post and was hoping to resurrect it. :D Does anyone know if I can use the reverb return as a pseudo effects return? I have a line6 hd500 and was wondering if I could plug it into the reverb return.

I'd leave the reverb send connected to the tank.

Not sure if it was dangerous, but I hooked up my guitar to the reverb return and it seemed to be ok...volume seemed to be controlled by reverb. I didn't try the HD500 tho, wasn't sure how safe that was...

Anyone know?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.