Blues Jr. or ????????

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by eikldave, Dec 20, 2012.

1. eikldave

eikldave TDPRI Member

I have a Tele Baja Player and G-Dec 30. Just Learning to play some Blues. I want to step up to a tube amp for practice and jamming with friends, no Gigs.
    I am considering the fender Blues Jr., but thought I'd check the forum for your ideas about other, maybe better choices in or near this price range.
    I have a pedal board with a Boss Blues Driver, Super Overdrive and DD7 Delay etc. but they don't really shine on the G-Dec.
    I know that amplifier choices are very subjective, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like both, but I'd rather have a Peavey Classic 30. Always liked the two in the stores, but I bought a DRRI. Ten years ago..

3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd recommend "or ????????" :lol:

Sorry, I really hate the Blues Junior, sounds weird and boxy to my ears--but lots of guys like them, and I'm not really a 'blues guy' either, more of a rock 'n roll guy.

I think a Peavey Classic 30 is a far better choice, and you get 2 channels to boot, so you can keep one cleaner, and more grind on the other. Not much clean headroom, but that's ok for 'dirty blues' if that's your thing. (and I don't think a Blues Jr has a ton of headroom either anyway)

4. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Infinite options for you. Personally, I think I'd rather a Fender Pro Jr. over the Blues Jr. 2 knobs and by many accounts, much better tone than the Blues Jr. Crank up the amp and turn your guitar down for clean and turn it up for dirt, old school style.

5. 20721

20721 Former Member

There are a lot of better amps out there than the Blues Junior. For what you're doing I'd buy an Excelsior while dealers still have them.

If you wanted to go super clean there's no better amp than the Ibanez TSA15, but it's more a rocker's amp than a bluesman's. I'm using Kustom Defender V15s, small and light, might be up your alley but unless they're on blowout they're too pricey.

6. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

I'm going to jump on the Classic 30 bandwagon; awesome amp.

7. collinsman

collinsman Tele-Afflicted

+1

8. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

For the amount of a Blues Jr, you could find an old Valco/Supro. In other words, a REAL blues amp.

I would also look for 50s and 60s Gibson amps like the GA-20. Also old Ampeg Jets and Reverberockets.

It just depends on what kind of tone you are going for, but to me when I think of a Blues amp, a Blues JR isn't what comes to mind. If you want to go Fender, then I know there are some companies that make 5E3 Deluxe clones that might be worth a try. Aside from that you are getting more expensive Fender wise (Deluxe Reverb, Bassman, Super Rever, etc.)

If I was going to play straight up blues I think I would try like heck to find an old Supro. They can still be had at reasonable prices just look for Valco, Airline, Gretsch, Montgomery Ward, and Supro they are the same company.

9. eikldave

eikldave TDPRI Member

Peavey Delta Blues 115?

10. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Peavey Classic DB, 20 or 30 end of game... (the C50 is considerably bigger and louder, but all in all IMO it's the most versatile as it's go lots of clean headroom and a great master volume control to get to the SWEET OD tones at any volume. I use mine to record and gig with, it's just bigger and heavier like any other 50+ watt 2x12 amp...)

If you're dead set on a BJr though, try the NOS as it is IMO the best of the "new breed" of BJrIII's out of the box. Still wouldn't even consider one until I KNEW I couldn't get a PV Classic anywhere.

Can't comment on the G-Dec, but I've heard nothing but frustration from folks over the FUSE software. Between that and my personal dislike for "modeling" amps, I don't recommend the G-dec, but I'm sure it's perfect for some folks.

Edit: If you've got pedals, why do you want to go to a modeling amp possibly (serious question, not trying to bust your balls)??? Seems like you know how to use stomp boxes, so why go to a modeling amp where you don't have the controls at your feet???

Cheers

Dave

11. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Pro junior.

12. eikldave

eikldave TDPRI Member

My original idea was to get away from the G-Dec Modeling amp. It's great for learning new material using an SD Card to play short riffs. Trying to add a tube amp no modeling needed.

13. Revman

Revman TDPRI Member

I nominate the Hughes and Kettner 25th Anniversary for your consideration. Great amp. I have one I
    will sell you. I went to a Bassman.

Revman

14. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I have a blues jr. for home use and love it! Clean or dirty blues at low volume and cranked up when no one else is home. I'm sure these other amps are also great, but I absolutely dig mine. I mostly run straight into the amp, but occasionally use a delay or a distortion pedal if I want something heavier.

15. Timbertea

Timbertea Tele-Holic

+1 on that, and get some decent tremolo to boot.

They can be found all of the time for $400 used here or less.

16. Comanche

Comanche TDPRI Member

I like the Blues Jr.
    Look for the tweed NOS with the Jensen speaker.
    Great with the telecaster and the Les Paul.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Blues Jr.111 and I don't like it. Too thin in the sound. I am selling it for a Priceton. Different valves (6V6) and a Jensen speaker. Similar price here and I wish I'd gone for the Princeton 6 months ago.

18. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

That is the answer!!!

IMO just about any amp that uses EL84 tubes is not going to sound as good as an amp that uses 6V6 or 6L6 tubes.

I have a Blues Jr that is nice, but it has all the BillM mods and it was converted to 6V6 and a bigger transformer.

HOWEVER - I should have spent all that $$ just buying a Princeton Reverb in the first place.

Live n learn....

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Started recently gigging with a modified Jr w/v30.....so far so good..maybe a tad
    too dirty...but I am still in beta mode.

Hung up drri/gold, classic30 and some others for a little while.

Super light too, for late night gigs.

20. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

See, I'm a huge EL84 guy and the proud owner of an AC15C1. I love the tone stack on the Blues Jr. also. But you might want to plug into an AC15 before making the final decision.

Also, if you're looking for a "practice amp", perhaps the AC4 would be fine. Great Vox tone in a compact package.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.