Blues Jr. III differences.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PlainAllman, Mar 15, 2019.

1. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I went to GC today with my dad just to browse and fondle some guitars. I was checking out a used MIM Tele with bridge humbucker and I went to plug it up to a used amp. So at first I plugged it into a Champ X20 I think? Then my dad pointed out another amp and said try this one. It was a BJ III. I said oh thats what I got at home. Only mine is the laquer tweed and this one was the black tolex otherwise it looked identical. So I plug in and start playing and fiddle with the knobs a bit. This BJ has the tone I wish mine had. What is the difference? With the volume cranked to 12 and master on 3 I heard what I wanted my amp to sound like and I played with the master a bit more and could tell it only got better when I turned it up more.

2. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

CD0CDB3B-658F-4EB6-B121-138489624750.png I found it on their website. What is the difference between this amp and my laquer tweed version? Were they sold with a different speaker or what? I need to know! :D

3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My understanding is it's still the same circuit dressed up differently & a different speaker across the line models.

4. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

Probably a different speaker. A speaker swap can have a huge influence the sound of your amp.

Fender offered a lot of different covering and speaker options for the Blues Jr. III.

5. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I guess i need to go back and look and see what speaker it has and perhaps change mine over if that could be the difference. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can figure this out.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

each tube amp - not "type", but EACH individual amp - can sound very different from one that is visually identical.

Each one of the following variables makes a difference in the sound; any two slight variations changes the sound by a factor of 5 or so. Any 4 changes and the sound can change exponentially.
    _______
    Age of the amp (if used); amount played in the store if new

speaker type

amount of hours and at what volume level the speaker was broken in

type and condition of EACH preamp tube

type and condition of EACH power tube

How well matched the power tubes are

power tube bias setting.

There are even more than these. The point is that you can have your amp adjusted by good tube amp tech - it will usually require (at minimum) replacement of some of the tubes and a bias adjustment. the amp does not have adjustable bias so a pot would have to be added or one or more parts changed to adjust the power tube bias to your liking - WHILE you play after each adjustment in order to get it "fine tuned".

Tube amps are NOT all alike - even the same model with the same cover 2 serial numbers apart. That's part of the appeal - they can be adjusted to your liking.

But they also are NOT "plug n play" if you expect a particular sound without some work.

They also require regular service - replacement of electrolytic filter capacitors and bias cap and a general checkup - every 15-20 years, and...in a fixed-bias amp like this one...a bias check and usually an adjustment EVERY time you change power tubes.

Route67 likes this.
  7. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

So I guess the easiest answer to get the tone I want is to just buy the one I played and maybe sell mine. Maybe I can take it in and get them to trade straight across. Other than that I could end up spending hundreds of dollars making mods and still not get what I’m looking for.

8. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yep....

Or, you dig in and research/educate yourself on what it takes to tweak and maintain these (or any) tube amps and do it yourself.

The info is out there....

Many folks are not inclined to do that, and no disrespect if you don't want, don't have the time, etc...

That's why there are amp techs. It's not for everybody. :)

9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Speaker likely

10. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I am very interested in learning about tube amps and whats makes them tick. I’ll continue researching, asking questions, and learning as much as I can. It sounds like trying a different speaker is a simple and somewhat low cost experiment so i may well try that out as a way to get started. Thanks for the replies.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

If you do buy the other amp, I wouldn't do a trade. I'd just sell the old amp outright on Craig's List or Reverb. You'll get more for it that way. Put yourself in the store's position: Why would they trade you a known entity (the amp you want) straight up for an unknown entity (your old amp/trade?). Plus, they want to make money on EVERY transaction. Sell it yourself if you do that. You could also try scouring Fender's website for the specs on both amps to find the differences while waiting for the TDPRI hive mind to reply here.

12. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Excellent! :)

If you haven't already seen this, here's a place to start....

https://robrobinette.com/Amp_Stuff.htm

Beware the rabbit hole....

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. My beest mate and I had identical looking, and specs, Blues Jrs. His sounded great. Mine sounded like an amplifier with no tone. So I got a 65 Blackface PRRI at a higher cost. That sounds like how a good amp should.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.