Blues Jr - first thing to do?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by marcflores, Jun 30, 2019.

1. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

Only 'mod' I have done on mine is change the tubes for all JJ's. Love it, very reliable amp

2. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I un-boxed mine, plugged it in, plugged a guitar into it and played. :oops:

Why would you buy an amp you think needs stuff done to it before you play through it ? :rolleyes:

3. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

Right now I'm considering doing mods to my Blues Jr, but there are a bewildering number of options, each of which has its passionate adherents. And although many of them offer extensive, detailed reviews, no words can tell how it will sound with me playing my guitars in the rooms that I typically play in. So I either have to stick with it as it is - though I'm definitely changing the input jack - or roll the dice on one of the many options.

It would be so much easier if I were rich.

marcflores likes this.
  4. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I just bought one from Guitar Center. Took it out of the box and it sounded good. All the knobs and input jack don't make noise. So far so good!

5. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Mine is the lacquered tweed and I'm not sure if that's a model older than the IV. It's confusing.

6. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I'm sorry for sounding ignorant. What's MV?

7. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Because the internet lol.

kris ford and Festus_Hagen like this.
  8. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I didn't think you can use those coupons on Fender amps...sorry. Hope I am wrong.

9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have a version 2 BJr and the thing that makes it sound better -- a lot better -- is to use a pedal instead of the built-in reverb. Took me years to figure this out. There's something spiky and harsh in there; killing it completely made the amp sound a lot better. So yeah, leave the amp alone, turn the reverb off and buy a Flint -- and get tremolo thrown in!

marcflores likes this.
  10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

(they may have fixed it by now, though)

11. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

MV is master volume

marcflores likes this.
  12. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Yes. I was able to. Everything at Guitar Center that doesn't show the yellow tag is 15% off if it's over $200. I got the amp for $554 with tax included.

13. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The master volume on this amp or any other controls the amount of preamp signal going into the power amp section. It is placed at the end of the preamp chain so that you can juice the first volume control for extra preamp gain and then cut the signal down with the MV just before it hits the power tubes. The only way you will be able to get the power tubes cooking is to turn up the MV so that enough signal reaches the power amp section and begins to overdrive it. The channel volume is placed early in the preamp signal chain to control the amount of signal passing on to the other preamp stages and then ultimately on to the MV. If an overdriven power amp sound at lower volumes is what you want, you would need to place an attenuator between the power amp and speaker to control the signal volume.

marcflores likes this.
  14. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

When I tested the amp at Guitar Center, it sounded great. When I got the amp home, I noticed the all the tubes were bent sideways toward the right of the amp (when looked at from behind). The preamp tubes weren't really bent that much, so I just pushed them back to being straight. The two power amp tubes were really bent, so I pushed them back over via the base plate that they're sitting on.

When I turned on the amp to play, I was hearing distortion already at low volumes (master volume at 4, volume at 4). If I turn the master volume down really low, no distortion. So I figured something was up. I turned the amp around and this is what I see:

IMG_6644.JPG

Only one power tube is working. Do I need to re-seat the other or replace it? Is it possible that having them bent over so far damaged a tube or anything else in the amp?

The box sat perfectly upright in my car the entire drive home. No way I could've caused that.

15. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Or just have a busted power tube as I showed above. :(

ladave likes this.
  16. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It does appear that the one power tube is not fully seated in the socket. Remove the tube and check for any cracks in the glass. The silver getter at the top of the tube usually turns white also if a tube has cracked. If it looks good, carefully straighten the pins with needle nose pliers and then try reinserting the tube. Hopefully it will work fine after being fully seated.

marcflores likes this.
  17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

You pushed the tubes while they were still in the sockets? It’s a little late to say don’t do that. But... don’t do that.

The tube pins or the sockets could be loose or broken. Don’t power it up again. Take it for repair.

Edit: I’m hoping I just misunderstood. Were the tubes just loose in the sockets, and needed to be re-seated? Or were they tight in the socket, and you bent them over to try to straighten them? If it’s the latter, take it back to have it looked over by a pro.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    marcflores likes this.
  18. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

I have a version 3. Reverb is not bad. I use the built in even though I also have Strymon flint on my board (I use with my non reverb amps). Maybe version 3 is better? Or maybe because I don’t like too much reverb and hardly place above 3 (unless playing that Chris Isaak song which calls for ungodly amounts of reverb).

19. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Neither one of those are seated right.

Perhaps the biggest drawback that the blues junior has is the fragility of sockets and knobs which are mounted to flexible PCB rather than to the chassis itself (hence the popularity of replacing the input jack). Take your time when removing and fitting tubes, and rocking or swirling type motion with minimal pressure. Never force anything.

In your case, I would bring it back to GC without touching anything more. Let them troubleshoot/break it.

King Fan and marcflores like this.
  20. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Yep. I called and they said I can exchange it. This is the second time I've had to exchange a Fender amp with GC. Two weeks ago I had to exchange my Deluxe Reverb because two of the input jacks would pop every time the instrument cable was touched even lightly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.