1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Deluxe RI - No sound

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by choosebronze, Aug 16, 2018.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I've had a BDRI for about 7 years and played it with no problems. I had JJ tubes installed the whole time. Last week I decided to sell it, so I took out the JJ's and reloaded the original GT's, which were boxed the whole time. I never even thought to fire it up.

Tonight I realized I should test the amp out before listing it for sale - and no sound. Connected the speaker to another amp & it works, so I know the speaker's ok. Pulled the GT's out and put back in the JJ's I'd been using - still no sound. Took the back cover of the amp off, I don't see anything that looks unusual. There's an odor. I wouldn't say I'd call it burning, but it's enough that I noticed it. I can't pin down exactly what it smells like, other than it smells electrical.

I could see V1, V2, V4, and V5 faintly glowing. But V3 wasn't. I touched it and it was ice cold. I tried every 12ax7 I have in that spot and the same thing. I tried swapping out V1 and V2 just in case, same thing. So it seems like something around V3 is the problem.

With the back off, and standby off, I hear a hum from the board, but that's the only noise the amp will make.

I know just enough to get myself in trouble, so I'm not sure where to go next. I downloaded the BDRI schematic. Should I test the voltages @ V3 pins 1, 6, and 8 to see if they match the schem? Is there something much simpler I'm missing? All the solder joints look good on the board. I don't see any brown spots, or any electrolytic caps bulging or anything. I don't know how changing the tubes caused such a problem. The amp hasn't been touched otherwise, for months.

Thanks for any help.

2. choosebronze

[ removed ]

3. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

probably something to do with the tube sockets, re-tension with a dental pick or take a small screw driver and grind it into submission.

choosebronze likes this.
  4. choosebronze

Spot on. That fixed it. Thank you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.