Blues Deluxe Reissue tubes

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jshape, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jshape

jshape TDPRI Member

I've got a beat up BDRI that I'm digging out of storage that I think I'm going to re-tube and start using. I don't know much about tubes, so figured I'd get some recommendations from the experts. I'm looking for a nice chiming clean sound with a lot of headroom on the clean channel, but still be able to get some nice breakup on the drive channel. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Preamp: Electro Harmonix 12ax7 (won't break the bank) I settled on them them in my BD and YCV40 (similar circuit) after trying loads of 12ax7 NOS, used, and current production. EH's are short plate and durable.
    Output: Winged C 6L6 no longer made, so I'd go with JJs or EH*

This is all personal preference, and there's no accounting for taste, but I think the above will be economical and sound great.

*I have not yet tried EH 6L6, but the EH 6V6 sound fantastic and were a pleasant surprise when I A/B'd them with JJs, NOS Sylvania, RCA, and some others.

Edit: AES still has some Winged C, but they are $65 a pop: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/vacuum_tubes?filters=Brand=Winged C. Not worth paying double for those. JJ 6L6 is a great tube IMHO. I use JJ 6L6 in my 5E3 based (but for 6L6) amp, after trying several types, including several pairs of Tung Sol USA 5881.

Personal opinion here: I don't know about reliability, but as far as tone goes, (IMHO), the NOS hype is not worth the extra dollars.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

NOS 5751 for the clean channel

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.