1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Deluxe/Deville and RI BD's

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by SteveY, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Since the tube socket (where it plugs in) has uneven spacing, you should look at the socket while inserting the replacement tube.

Two added challenges are:
    (1) having enough light inside to see the small holes in the socket;
    (2) if the tube sockets are oriented where they face down toward the floor, you may be on your back to install a tube with a heavy amp (rather than turning the amp upside down).

For the first challenge, turn on a small flashlight, stick it in your mouth and get to work!

Attached Files:

2. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

The key on all the tubes of a BDRI points directly away from you (toward the speaker grille) when looking at the back of the amp.

I put the amp up on my work bench.

3. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Hot Rod Deville III has some significant circuit differences from the Blues Deville.

4. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Thanks to all for the advice. It's nice that I won't have to bring it in for what seems like a simple adjustment.

5. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Just take your time. ;)

6. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

As I said, I've never performed amp surgery before, so I'll be in no way trying to "get through as fast as possible." The tips you all provided, such as it being a tight fit, are very helpful. I just don't want to break anything...

7. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

You should probably get a can of Deoxit D5 to spray the tube pins and clean all contact surfaces. Spray it on the pins, then work it in and out of the socket a few times. Let it dry, then insert the tube for the final time.

8. moon

moon NEW MEMBER!

Blues Deville settings.

I'm new to the forum and have a question. I have a new Blues DeVille 410. What are the best settings for a nice blues sound. I think Tony Joe White has it down just right. Anyone know what settings he uses ? Thanks in advance for your help !

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  9. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

The best settings are those that sound the best to you, not to me, or not to anyone else. You need to experiment with the controls and learn what they do.

10. cjd576

cjd576 NEW MEMBER!

where should my controls be on my Fender Blues Deville if i want a twangy sound? I have a 2010 Fender Tele with Dimarzio Twang King pickups in it and I am getting the Fender Blues Deville and I would like to know what to adjust the settings too? Any advice for a twangy sound?

11. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Repeating the response I made to the poster just before you:

The best settings are those that sound the best to you, not to me, or not to anyone else. You need to experiment with the controls and learn what they do.

12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

New member to the club reporting in!

A buddy of mine picked one of the original 4x10 Blues DeVille's last year... I played through it for a couple of minutes and loved it. The overdriven sound with my Strat was out of this world. A few weeks ago, I happened to be peeking at Craigslist and found one for 200 bucks... but it didn't work correctly (all the pots were hosed and a couple fo the jacks were loose as well).

I picked up new switchcraft jacks and hardwired in all the mono jacks (I just put in a direct replacement Power Amp in jack, because I had no idea what switchcraft jack to get... LOL). and replaced all the pots with Fender replacements too. We popped it back together and found it still was super low powered... A bit of troubleshooting by my friend and a loose wire was located. Now it's back to full operating capacity. I haven't even gotten a chance to crank it up and listen at big volumes.. but at low volumes it worked nicely! Nice and woody tones...

Oh and on the master volume pot sweep... The original Blues DeVille's like this one have an audio taper. I think the linear taper came in with the Hot Rods and the Reissues, yeah?

13. mapletop

mapletop Tele-Meister

Hi everyone! I just picked up a US made Blues Deluxe off CL for a heck of a deal. First impressions are that the cleans and 'verb are amazing and that it takes pedals really well. So far I'm not a big fan of the dirt channel, but I bought the amp only for cleans as I have a Sunn model T head for my dirt sound. I'll post some pics soon, but so far so good- I'm very pleased with the amp and the deal was too good to pass up (hopefully there are no hidden issues with it).

Speaking of which- are there any issues to be aware of with the US made blues deluxe models that I should know about?

Thanks!

14. cartier

cartier Tele-Meister

I guess I am in the club with my American Made Blues DeVille 410! It is my go to amp for everything I play except Beatles. I use my Vox AC 15 for them and sometimes think the 410 would be as good. I love the various tones I can dial in and it breaks up nicely when necessary. With some pedals it can really outplay almost any other combo tube amp out there.

15. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

16. dporto

dporto Tele-Meister

I've had my Blues Deluxe ('95 original series) since '03 -'04. Someone brought it by a jam looking for cash for his son at school (it' was the son's amp but Dad was selling it...). I wound up getting it for $300 after a little negotiation. I've used it quite a bit in the interim, but I've got several amps so it doesn't get out too often. Great amp overall. The only "mods" I've done are 1) The speaker - I swaped out the stock brown label Fender "special design" with a blue label "special design" from a Fender M-80 (rated at 90watts) this tightened up the low end sound nicely. 2) the "resistor snip" on the reverb and 3) Minwax Honey Pine on the tweed.

17. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I picked up a Blues Deluxe RI today. I needed a 40 amp that was similiar to my TRRI and it fit the bill. Sounds real nice. Almost like a cross between a Vox and a Twin. It has a good jangle tone that's great for oldies.

18. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

My '95 BDX is my go-to amp. Easy enough and loud enough to take anywhere. Eminence GB128 speaker and sounds as good clean as any small Fender amp I have heard. Great amps and a great value on the used market.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  19. elkhart1956

elkhart1956 Tele-Meister

I may have asked this before. If so, I apologize in advance!

I have an original Blues Deluxe. Found it in a pawn shop for little bread. But it needed TLC. I dropped another $200 on it, and it is humming along. New tubes were installed, and it was cleaned out where some idiot spilled a coke inside of the back, fouling up the reverb tank's operation. It works fine now on all levels.

Here is my question. I know the BD has a rep for being bass heavy. I dial the bass knob all the way down yet it still sounds thunderous. Is there a way to address this without buying a specific EQ stomp box or changing out the stock speaker. I have $550 in it already.

Aside from that, I have no beefs with the amp. I am playing a tele knock off (Tradition) through a Boss ME 50. Great sounds. I just need to get this bass heavy thing sorted out.

Attached Files:

• nn.jpg
      nn.jpg
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
  20. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Are you sure about that being a Blues Deluxe? Blues Deluxes are tweed covered. That looks more like a Hot Rod Deluxe (black tolex/vinyl).

As far as the bass heaviness, yes, the Blues and Hot Rod amps can be heavy sounding. The easiest thing to do is raise the amp up off the floor. You could try and find a less bass heavy speaker, but can be a time consuming (and expensive) hit-or-miss proposition. The only way to really eliminate the bass heaviness is to modify the tone stack like I have done. If you can confirm which amp you actually have (the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe have very different schematics) and are comfortable working on tube amps, I can explain how to do it. It is only two components that require changing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.