1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Deluxe/Deville and RI BD's

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by SteveY, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Guitarnut

Guitarnut Friend of Leo's

Count me in!

I'm in...I just bought a Blues Deluxe RI this week. It's absolutely mint! I have been putting off the expense of buying a Fender hoping to find the sound in a cheaper alternative...Man. the clean channel on the this amp is worth every penny!!! Sometimes you just have to put up the money...but I did get a great deal on it. :cool: It came with casters...are those standard?

For different reasons, I also picked up a Marshall Class 5 this week. Not crazy about the white but it's unique and very clean...like new. Also a great deal. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Langers

Langers TDPRI Member

Blues Deville 2 x 12

Here are some pics of my USA Deville, including one with my '82 Dan Smith Strat and another with my '68 AC30 and '72 Bandmaster Reverb. The speakers and various parts for the cab I am making for the Fender head are on the shelf behind, inc 2 x 1980s Eminence 12". Just need to find the time now...........

Attached Files:

3. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

My rig:

[​IMG]

Modded '09 Fender MIM Standard Strat, '09 BDRI, Frontman 25R, heavily modded "Lyon L115 by Washburn", homebuilt pedal board with Monte Allums modded Boss TU-3, CS-3, BD-2, and OD-3. :D

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Hey thanks, JeffsJeep04.

since I have my amp at home at the moment and not at the rehearsal room, I finally got around to do the reverb mod (clip C50) .
    its amazing how this minor tweak clears it up - the reverb is very useful now, I can turn it to 12 if i want it that wet. I couln't get past 4 or 5 before without getting a headache.
    it also helped that I changed the V1 tube (JJ ECC 83s)
    maybe it's the combination of both but I don't care because the amp sound like a new one....in a good way. :D

cheers

5. martinsecrest

martinsecrest Tele-Meister

Going to another topic - has anyone tried modifying their BD to add a 15" speaker? I'm (just guessing) there might be room in the baffle for a 15.

6. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

My mid '90's Hot Rod DeVille 4x10. It's been modded by Jim at Omega amps, now runs two KT66, 5751 in V1. Jim totally made this amp into a killer with a Super Reverb-like clean, Drive channel is crunch tone heaven, More Drive is defined, singing, just awesome. Jim added a boost instead of the bright button, a fat switch and re-voiced the tone controls and tamed the reverb, ALL for $250+return shipping, all warranted by Jim for life. I also added a couple of alnico speakers from a Bassman. It's now a really great amo, too bad it's so loud.....

adeville.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  7. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

You are very welcome. I noticed a huge difference as well, and I did nothing other then clipping C50. Best 5 minute mod I've ever done. Takes 10x as long to remove and reinstall the back panel as it did to do the actual mod.

8. Erik Thomas

Erik Thomas TDPRI Member

My Blues Deville is the original tweed 4x10 and was manufactured in Jan. 1994. I think I bought it in February of 94. At that time, we a/b'd it vs. every amp in 2 stores and the cleans blew all other amps away. Still does....this amp gets such deep, lush clean tones its sick in a good way! Love my Blues Deville Tweed.

9. tractman

tractman NEW MEMBER!

Ok guys and dolls, I am brand new to the tube amp users and I just bought a new BLues Deluxe Reissue. Can some one please help me get started with a starting setup. I want to play clean as well as driven. I play a standard tele and a MIM strat. Can someond get me started, I mean settings for all knobs .
    Thanks in advance...

10. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Setting knobs depends on a number of factors, not the least of which are the guitars used and the acoustical environment. I could tell you exactly how I have things set and they could sound like total crap to you. The best thing to do is start with the tone knobs at "6" and adjust to taste from there. Some people have problems with the loudness of the amp. If that is the case for you, use input #2 which reduces the input level by 6 dB from input #1. Try the clean volume around "4". Start with the reverb at "3" and adjust from there. I don't use a lot of Presence and tend to keep the control set low. The Drive channel of the BDRI is not very potent compared to the Hot Rod Deluxe. Start with the gain around "6" to "8" and adjust from there. Set the master to whatever is required to get the overall loudness that you want in the Drive channel. Good luck.

11. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

Tone to taste, reverb around 2-3 and volume at 6. I plug into input 2 and don't mess with the drive at all. Turn your guitar volume all the way down and slowly turn it up to get the volume you need. More volume gives more dirt. It seems to be the most controllable set like that.

12. rogue

rogue NEW MEMBER!

anyone added a "15

I have been thinking of buying a BDRI just to do this. Has anyone accomplished getting a 15 inch speaker in the Blues Deville?

Thanks,
    RT

13. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

I joined the Blues Deluxe RI Club mid-week last week after a trade for a guitar I was never going to use. The amp still looks brand new with all of the tags on it. Everything is stock.

I have two questions for the other Blues Deluxe RI owners:

1. I have no quality control sticker on my chassis that I can find. The serial number is B-289047 and there is a 60th anniversary button on it. Does this mean it was made in 2006? I can't keep up with Fender anniversary's.
    2. Before doing the trade I saw great reviews on the websites that sell the BD, however in the forums I saw many people having heat/solder/trace issues with the Blues Deluxe. So has anyone whose owned there BD for a while had quality control issues? Did anyone do preventive steps because they had heard about the reliability issues?

14. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

1. I forget where my sticker is, or if I have ever seen it. I suppose that's when it was made. Really doesn't make any difference. Still made in Mexico and no different than a BDRI without the 60th button.

2. Most of the reliability problems were with the original Blues Series from the 90s and with the earlier Hot Rod series amps. Those amps did not have through plating on the PCB solder holes (holes were only plated on one side of the circuit board). When Fender brought out the Reissues, the PCB solder holes were through plated on both sides of the board for better reliability. There were other changes made in the circuitry for both reliability and sound quality purposes. In fact, the new Series III Hot Rods incorporate most if not all of the changes that first appeared in the Blues Reissues.

If the tubes in your amp are original (Groove Tubes), I recommend you replace them with some better tubes and rebias the amp. My tubes of choice are:

V1 = Philips JAN 5751
    V2 = JJ 12AX7
    V3 = JJ balanced 12AT7
    V4/5 = JJ 6L6GC

I biased my amp at 38 mA Cathode current (36 mA Plate current) at a plate voltage of 413 VDC. I used a digital voltmeter and this:

http://www.amp-head.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=70

Makes the job fast, safe, and simple. Amp tone is ever so sweet.

15. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

Bill, thanks for that info I feel better now about the reliability of the amp. It does have the original tubes. I have plans for new tubes. I have some pre-amp tubes laying around though no Philips JANs. The power tubes will be coming soon.

16. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

Just make sure you bias the new power tubes properly. Fender sets things real cold. If you don't have a bias probe, the bias setting I suggested corresponds to about 83 to 85 mV at the Fender bias test point for the plate voltage I stated. Fender normally biases the amp at 60 to 65 mV at the correspondingly higher plate voltage. Remember, you must also measure plate voltage for a meaningful bias measurement.

17. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

My original has been through he'll and back. Apparently no one told it about the poor solder joints. The only issue I've ever had is input #1 getting flaky, but I just plug into 2.

18. muzicmaken

muzicmaken Tele-Holic

AS I stated in another thread, I traded a Line 6 Spider 3 halfstack,, Epiphone Valve Jr and Marshal MG16GX Micro stack and Peavey Windsor head and a few pedals for a Fender Tweed Deluxe Blues Re-Issue 4x10 Tube Amp.. Eddie Van Halen's guitar tech Tom Weber overhauled it and rebiased with new tubes.

I know I came out WAY ahead on that deal....

I also purchased and receipted yesterday my Fender Deluxe HotRod Deville 4x10
    It sounds fantastic in it's own right. IT doesn't to compare to the above mentioned Blues Reissue but it is a great sounding amp.

I soooooooo glad I have went tube (It's been a long time since I used a good tube amp)...and so glad to be rid of all the solid state amps....

19. Minky

Minky Tele-Holic

I just picked one up as a Christmas gift for myself.
    I am in love with it.

Here it's is firing right in with the gang.

image-1669367587.jpg

20. MBolanlovechild

MBolanlovechild TDPRI Member

Loving the Orange tiny terror, I've heard many a great thing from those little screamers.

I recently caught a deal on a used Blues Deluxe from 1993, not unscathed but it came with the original cover, no footswitch, but fully loaded with a single Celestion G12H speaker which is insane for the price I got it at. 230 quid, local pickup off ebay. The bloke selling it advertised it as being "light-weight" and "easy to move". Relative to a walrus, yes, it is very light, lugging it down cheltenham way, not so "easy".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily the rip doesn't go right through the grill cloth.

The cleans are naturally brilliant, you know, it's fender. Unfortunately the drive channel is also fender; not that it's 'unusable', just not as satisfying as the clean channel. Sounds nice with a vintage overdrive pedal.

Give it 30 years and it'll be my 'vintage' blues deluxe from all those years ago. Can't wait cause i'll probably still be playing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.