1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Deluxe/Deville and RI BD's

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by SteveY, Jun 11, 2009.

1. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Afflicted

My new Hot Rod DeVille 212
    [​IMG]
    My old Hot Rod DeVille 410
    [​IMG]

2. Jayson

Jayson Tele-Meister

3. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

I have a nice original Blues Deville that provides faithfull service as my rehearsal room amp. I understand that it was originally owned by Mark Evans, the ex-AC/DC bass player. It certainly had been well used before I bought it, as some of the white writing on the control plate had worn off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jimbcac

jimbcac TDPRI Member

HRDV or Blues Deluxe

dont know what got into me. Somehow I ended up with a USA made
    HRDV...ok...i like it..Somehow I also got a south of the boarder made
    Blues deluxe. Guy had some swapping of the preamp tubes and put
    a Celestion speaker in it...Got a 12" 70W Fender Eminence speaker...will use
    the celestion for a speaker cab am making. Anyway the BD sits on top
    of the HRDV in my bedroom. For some reason the BD is getting more
    use...Does it sound any better?....good question..I also end up taking it to
    Church, and for small (ish) gigs...Am running pretty much straight EH12ax7
    and have a set of JJ 6L6..It is loud enough, was not really expensive, and
    when I went to change the speaker out, I got a good look at the "guts"..
    not exactly point to point hand wire, but heeeeey..This replaced a
    Peavey Classic 50, and I think is enough of a step up that I am going to
    sell the Peavey..
    Now when I grow up I want a VIBROKING......with the cabs.....yessss....

Jim in Gold Bar

5. Bigbossman

Bigbossman TDPRI Member

Hi guys came across this forum while looking for Deville info, I have a 1993 Tweed Blues Deville and I love this amp, but was tired of resoldering the valve sockets on the lower board every 8 months or so. Really cant understand why Fender put them on a board in the first place. So I took it out and hard wired them to the chassis. I had to make a new smaller board for the original components (and changed a few for new) and attached it inside the amp, much more reliable now. Batteries in my cam are dead right now but will get some pics up soon. Love the sound of this thing and I've been playing over 26 years and have had many other amps, including a red knob Fender the Twin which I use as backup, though its too harsh sounding, someone changed the original eminence for two Celestion G12-H100'S and its just too darn spikey, takes your head off where as the deville just caresses your ears even when loud. Only problem is it's just starting to lose clean headroom on songs such as Sultans of Swing where i need to stay clean and loud. Will changing the V1 to a 12AY7 or AT7 do the trick?

6. emanym

emanym TDPRI Member

I just picked up a new BDRI a few weeks ago,sounds great.It does kinda worry me though because I've read so many horror stories about these amps being unreliable.I still have a few weeks to take it back to GC but I'd hate to because it sounds so good & is the perfect wattage & size for gigging.I originally wanted a Bassman but it isn't quite as practical for me mainly due to the price but also size, weight & the fact that it runs at 2 ohms so I can't use my attenuator w/ it at home,plus no reverb.

7. tmdisme123

tmdisme123 TDPRI Member

I've got a blues deville 212 that I use for gigging at least two times a week. I personally think the amp sounds amazing, well, at least the clean channel. I think the drive sounds really muddy and lifeless, so I just use overdrive pedals.

Also, the amp is LOUD. I play medium-sized venues and I've never turned it up past 3.

8. bluesky636

bluesky636 Tele-Holic

I have a Blues Deluxe Reissue that I love. I use a modified MIM Standard Strat with SCN pups. I also have a Monte Allums H2O Plus modified Boss Blues Driver that I run in front of the BDRI. The combination sounds very sweet from great cleans to super crunchy.

9. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

LOVE LOVE LOVE my blues deluxe. Played lots of other amps that I love the sound on, but this one does it all. I've thought about trading down to a pro junior (such a little screamer), but it's a one trick pony. I can use pedals to get exactly what I want out of it, but more often then not, putting the volume at 6 and setting how loud I want it in the guitar gets me what I need. As said before, the blond is pretty rare, so that's all the more reason to hang onto it. I put the tilt back legs on it (best mod so far) and clipped one of the resistors related to reverb (C25 or something like that...been a while --see edit below--). Perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: I went back and re-researched the reverb mod. Unplug the amp and take off the back panel. You are looking for C50. It's under the reverb knob. Clip one side of it and move it away from the board. It really smooths out the reverb and makes it much more pleasant to the ears. If you don't like it, you can solder it back on, but I doubt that's gonna happen :lol:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Long-time HRDlx owner ...

... which I've gigged with for years. Have owned a TON of other amps, including Marshall, Crate, Peavey, Roland, Behringer, Gibson, Epiphone, Yamaha and Ampeg, as well as a couple of Pro Juniors and a custom-built Submarine Sound. Each has had their share of good points and bad points, but I always find myself coming back to the HRDlx.

A couple of week ago, I picked up a Blues Deluxe, and just finished polyurethaning the cab (some sort of honey) and gigged with it this weekend. It, too, is a bad boy. Great cleans, but a little ice-picky on the drive. I installed a Celestion V30 in the HRDlx, and have re-tubed it a couple of times in the last ten years. I will probably do the same to this, but for the price, weight, volume, etc., they can't be beat in my book.

YMMV!

Peace.

11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

That sounds interesting, I might try it.
    I just use a hair of reverb as it sounds so harsh. even my Vox Da5 has a nicer sounding reverb in it.
    is there any downside with the mod? I searched the web but couldn't find anything that matched. got a linky? ....or just tell me more about it perhaps.
    would be much apreciated, thanks.

also...I hardly use the drive channel because when I turn the drive knob past 6 it just squelches and makes awfull noises. it has nothing to do with guitar feedback - it's more like a dial-in modem noise without the phone numbers. :eek:
    what could that be? pre-amp tubes gone bad? any suggestions?

12. Esaaal

Esaaal Poster Extraordinaire

updated tweediness

Here's a family pic. I added the HRDx tweed extention cab this June. The BlsJr is also a newer add. Lots of differences between the two. The tele goes better with the BDRI and the Hwy1 Strat sounds great with the Junior.

I'm pretty satisfied with these.

Attached Files:

13. martinsecrest

martinsecrest Tele-Meister

I've got a '94 Blues Deluxe I picked off eBay a few months ago. I like it quite a bit, there is a lot of tonal control in this amp. Great gigging amp, you can't beat the weight and the look. Sounds best w/my Strat (as most amps seem to) .. what was the stock speaker for the original BD? Mine has an Eminence Legend, which I suspect is an upgrade, not sure though. It's a pretty good speaker, but it doesn't really have a lot of range. It seems a little bright to me sometimes, but trying to pump lows into it then sort of washes out the mids.

But enough talk .. I think I'll go play it right now.

14. porknblue

porknblue Tele-Holic

Got my BDRI used at GC. It's in great condition and I'm quite pleased with it. Bought the Tweed extension cab a couple weeks after the amp purchase.

Thats a 2-12 Deville on the left.

[​IMG]

At GC today I noticed a used, Tweed, 4-10 that has recently come in. I'm getting GAS... No, AAS again!

15. sjsrocks

sjsrocks TDPRI Member

I have bin busy since my last post modifying my BDRI. I took out the stock speaker and put in a Jensen C12N and it tamed down that bright Eminence stock speaker.
    Then I went through Many different types of tubes. I think I found the right set. Phillips ECG JAN 6L6WGB / 5881 with JJ 12AX7v1- 5751 Jan/Phillips v2 & v3. For some reason the 5751's in v1 are microphonic and rattle. But in v2/v3 they seem to work well. Nice overdrive when pushed hard in the clean channel. I don't use the drive channel much. But if you turn the Drive down to 3 and the Volume to 6 on the Drive channel it's more like a clean channel and sounds OK.
    That's it for now. I will be back with more updates as I keep trying to find the best sound out of my BDRI. But I think I found it.
    Keep Rockin the Blues!

16. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

All you guys with HRD's that talk about lowering the gain, don't use the drive channels, etc. etc.-here is your solution, Jim Price of Omega amps. He has figured out how to polish this turd. I hated mine, and Jim made it into a KILLER! I won't go into all the details here except to say that it was worth the very reasonable cost.http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html
    It is still too loud, but in a very good way.......

17. porknblue

porknblue Tele-Holic

Picked up a used Blues DeVille RI 410 last week. Nearly mint condition. Had a couple black scuffs on the bottom edge but they are gone thanks to my toothbrush and white Colgate toothpaste.

18. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Our other guitar player's Blues DeVille RI 410 - this sucker is loud... (And heavy..)

[​IMG]

19. blietaer

blietaer TDPRI Member

How loud ?!

I am about to switch my Fender Super Champ XD for a Blues Deluxe Reissue (round 500Eur). This is mainly because I am more and more using pedals and having so much stuff that become useless on that amp ( I am definitely not pushing Gain or overdrive _after_ my reverb or delay pedal... :( )

So I guess what I am looking for is a FX loop on a all-amp.
    But the thing that I really enjoy with my super XD is that I can really get great all-lamp sound at low volume level... (playing even while the baby sleeps!)

I was really considering the Vox Night Train: also low Wattage, not much stuff inside, just great sound...but no FX lopp, forcing me to use this thing only in stupid (ultra clean) mode.

Now I do love the Blues Deluxe, but for all the above criterias, would you recommend it to me?

20. Langers

Langers TDPRI Member

I'm in - just picked up a '94 Deville 2 x 12 in really fabulous condition. Pots a bit crackly but sounds out of this world. Just some switch cleaner needed, I think. Am using my Strat in the second input to take a bit of the treble off it and it just sings so well, but boy is it loud! I heard the volume boxes that you can use in the effects loop help but still don't let you drive the tubes - maybe the only answer is a power soak like a THD Hotplate. Any ideas?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.