1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blues Deluxe/Deville and RI BD's

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by SteveY, Jun 11, 2009.

1. JamesL

JamesL Tele-Meister

I have an original Blues Deluxe I play when I am not playing my Super Reverb...I like it...just not as much as my Super!

2. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

I own an original Blues Deluxe that I bought in 1993 and an original Blues DeVille 4X10 that was left to me by a deceased friend.

asnarski likes this.
  3. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

How about this Deville pro tweed?

[​IMG]

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

That's mighty sweet and soooo tidy.....I'd love to have that done to my Deluxe.

but where's the tweed?
    also I assumed "Deville" meant it has 2 or 4 speakers.
    please elaborate.

5. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

put me in with a bdri, and a pro jr... and, i did put 12ay7 in v1. yes, it gave me more headroom = clean volume.

im thinking of putting a hellatone 12 celestion in the bdri to replace the stock speaker. i like the stock speaker but am curious (i have the hellatone lying around) if it would improve the tightness/fidelity of the sound... probably do it someday, just as an experiment.

rand z

6. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Sorry - its a deluxe not a deville
    [​IMG]

It's a HRD blues deluxe. This could be done with a deville too though.

It's so easy...the holes are already drilled in the HRD, all you have to do is drill small holes next to them for the tubes socket nuts and bolts.
    Then drill a hole for the rectifier tube, but that's optional as you could always go with diodes for a recto. It would sound great either way, just less sag with diodes. Then rip out the PCb board and put in new pots and preamp wires....screw down the turret board you've already soldered up, attach wires and soon be in heaven. No more bad screen resistors scorching the board or causing oscillation and channel switching. Most HRD people use pedals for distortion anyway. Something goes wrong with the amp, anyone can figure it out in aboutt 5 seconds with a chopstick. Get out the iron solder in the new component or whatever and be back to music. Looking at how simple and clean it looks we really have to ask ourselves why they can't do this with modern MFG techniques. How hard can it be? Answer - it isn't.

7. sjsrocks

sjsrocks TDPRI Member

My Blues Deluxe RI 2006> It has TAD 12AX7 and I use TAD 6L6 tubes when I want to Rock out. They brake up real nice.
    Or when I'm in a Jazzy mood (witch is most of the time) I use Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR for a nice clean sound.
    I have tried J/J 6L6GC and Svetlana 6L6GC. Svetlana are nice and clean. They come close to the Tung-Sol, but a little brighter. The J/J are terrible. Unless I got a bad match, they are harsh and gritty.
    Next month I'm going to get the Tung-Sol 6L6G Big bottle's to try out. I hope there not too big that they won't fit.

Attached Files:

8. cartier

cartier Tele-Meister

Add me to the list. I am the proud owner of a Blues DeVille 410! I sold my Hot Rod Deluxe because there was no use for having both. It goes so well with my two Teles. Photos soon!

9. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

I have the blues deluxe reissue. I love the sound of mine but rarely get to use it at the moment as it's too loud and i don't have the room to leave 2 amps plugged in. Once i move into my new house i plan on jamming alot more (setting up a music room with my drums/amps/guitars) and getting a new band going so it'll see some use then and i can't wait! They really do sound good for the price i got mine for.

10. texmck54

texmck54 Tele-Meister

dating a BDRI

recently bought a used blues deluxe RI MIM how do i tell
    when it was made

11. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

Just wanted to say I've been trying out the BDRI at the local Guitar Mart and I love the tone of the Clean and the Gain channel. I like it much better than the Blues Jr. Fat channel. And I prefer it to stomp boxes. I'm surprised Fender doesn't do more amps with channel switching.

The Blues Deluxe seems like a great amp but it's like most people have a big "but" whenever they talk about them. Is it just because I don't actually own one yet??

12. texmck54

texmck54 Tele-Meister

just want to add myself to the club bought my blues deluxe RI 2 months
    ago along with my tele 52 RI nothing beats a fender in fender sound
    had a classic 30 before the fender have since sold the peavey
    considering the zinsser amber shellac finish to give my BDRI some
    protection & that vintage look any comments from members either
    considering or that have already done this would really like some feedback
    thanks Kim

13. iblack2492

iblack2492 TDPRI Member

I have a 2005 or so Hot Rod Deville 212 that I got used and let me say this amp's clean channel cranked sounds beautiful. If you can play it at volumes loud enough its intoxicating how good it sounds. At about 4 or 5 it's still clean but you can feel the notes sticking a little longer, and everything past 8 is just creamy overdrive that is too much fun to play. I wanted to get a Twin Reverb but now I don't even want to because I love the distorted sound too much. I wish that sound came in a pedal cuz it's so damn loud.

14. iblack2492

iblack2492 TDPRI Member

For the record the drive/more drive channel sucks. It doesn't sound good to begin with, but once you start turning up the volume to match a loud drummer it just turns into microphonic feedback, so why would I bother using that channel at all?

15. Fretboard

Fretboard TDPRI Member

I'm looking to get more of a clear tone out of my BDRI which I just purchased. Does anyone have any suggestions on control settings?

16. Axe Grinder

Axe Grinder TDPRI Member

Did someone say LOUD?

My neibous usually only call to ask why I quit playing.
    Or if maybe I might bring her down.. ;)
    1995 edition DeVille..(Setting on a Marshall 4x10)
    Love the way she rocks & rolls.:D
    [​IMG]

17. don jon

don jon Tele-Meister

'95 Blonde Blues Deville 212

I'll join the club with my third HR amp (not counting 4 Blues Jr.'s) and the only one I ever kept.

I owned a Mexican 410 HR Deville and the clean channel was nice but the drive/more drive channels were useless IMO. Not to mention the cabinet was way too shoddy to hold up under such a LOUD amp. I traded it and never gigged with it.

Then I had a USA HR Deville 212 and I liked it better than the 410, but still the drive channels were useless. Although the cab felt sturdier with no buzzes or cracks and the bass never got muddy with the clean channel cranked unlike the 410. I did gig with this one twice, but ended up selling it to buy an SG.

Then I came across this USA made blonde Blues Deville 212 (which I think was only made for one or two years) and I have come to love it so much I will never get rid of it. Compared to the HR Devilles this baby is an ass kicking, tear jerking clean machine. I read a lot of reviews that call it cold, thin, and underbiased. But after hearing it I don't know what those guys were smoking?? The volume is a little more tame compared to the HR's and the cab is rock solid. The drive channel is actually useable because at lower volumes it adds the perfect touch of fat tube warmth that is on the edge of clipping but still has tons of headroom. I am not one who likes getting my distortion from my amps anyway. But I love a little dirt around the edges, and the fat cleans that this baby delivers just love any pedal you throw at it. I like it so much I have kept the stock speakers which is unheard of for me. The only thing I have changed are the tubes, and I do run an NOS Phillips 12AT7 in V1.

I don't know if Fender did anything different with these blonde USA BD's but it definitely smokes my other HR Devilles and the two Mexican tweed BD's I have played before. And here's some pics of my second favorite blonde -lol-(...my wife may read this!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

The Blues Deville 410 was my first amp and my only amp. My dad bought it for me in high school. He had the sales guy make up a fake receipt to show my step-mom so she wouldn't be mad about the price. That was about 15 years ago now.

Well, I'm thinking of trading out all four speakers in this thing. Any recommendations? I'm very into the clean sounds that it makes. Never use the drive channel, except as a joke. I use a Lovepedal Les Lius for my drive because it breaks up all crazy like Neil Young without destroying anything.

The plan after getting some new speakers in is to make a 4x10 cab with the old speakers. Then run the new cab from the external speaker jack.

Truth is I'm way over my head on all of this. Not sure where to begin with buying new speakers but I'm always up for a crazy project.

Glad to join you all in the club.

19. el gordo

el gordo Tele-Meister

this is my 1995 blues deville

Attached Files:

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

...your guitar volume control is your friend.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.