Blues Cube artist 2x12 80 watt

Hawthorne1970

NEW MEMBER!
I have just purchased a 80 watt Blues Cube 212 artist. Amp sounds great but the Distortion Channel has scooped V sounding honk to it, like I've got a cry baby on,.? Does anybody else have this tone going on with their Distortion Channel?

Cleantone

TDPRI Member
I am 1 week into owning a BC Artist 1x12 and only getting short sessions to familiarize myself with it, so I am still figuring it out (NAD/review post to come!). I have not found a cocked wah sound like what you describe but do notice a change in the EQ between the clean and crunch channels - and I prefer the clean. I take it that the crunch circuit is boosting some frequencies more than others. Given there is only one set of EQ controls I thought it would be more of an even gain boost from one channel to the next. I think it is small enough it could be equalized with an EQ pedal, but I'm not bothered enough to go that far. Maybe the crunch is intended to cut through a band mix more than clean, so perhaps there is a rationale to the difference.

It might be a scoop like you say because when I go to dual mode the sound gets rounder/fuller. I like the dual much better than the crunch alone, due to both the voicing and articulation the clean brings in.

I am waiting for the Ultimate Blues and NY Blues tone capsules to be delivered and look forward to see how they voice the clean vs crunch channels.

A question to the forum, is it common for the vintage style amps (Fender, Vox, etc.) to have a significant difference in EQ between channels? I know Vox has the Top Boost which is by definition a change in EQ. The historical Fenders don't have switchable channels and they weren't intended to be used the way we do today, so maybe the question is moot. I have only owned one other tube amp which isn't in the same category, a Peavey Bravo 112. The clean on the Peavey I think is amazing, but the "lead" channel has a modern rock to metal voicing and it can not be dialed to match the clean even at minimal gain. I have always wished it was more of just a change in gain as a starting point because it has separate EQ controls to dial to taste.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
I have the Artist 1*12. I notice a 'honk' in dual mode (awful).

I also have the UB and NY. I'm very much enjoying the NY, on the Low input

Cleantone

TDPRI Member
I have the Artist 1*12. I notice a 'honk' in dual mode (awful).

I also have the UB and NY. I'm very much enjoying the NY, on the Low input
So the UB and NY don't have the same issue in dual mode?

I'm curious, why do you prefer the low input on the NY? I have stuck to the high input so far on my stock Cube. I do mean to check it out but just haven't yet.

Cleantone

TDPRI Member
@Hawthorne1970 , @Grateful Ape

I get it now. Using my Les Paul with pretty hot pickups I was able to hear more clearly than with single coils that there is a definite change going into dual mode. I think it is an out of phase sound. Not a Strat position 2 or 4 sound but actual electrical out of phase. I have no idea if this is intentional or a necessary side effect of combining channels. I would think this could be achieved without it.

I'll add that I think adding gain either causes it or brings it to the fore. With gain at 0 or minimal in the crunch channel and at unity volume with clean I didn't notice it.

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
So the UB and NY don't have the same issue in dual mode?

I'm curious, why do you prefer the low input on the NY? I have stuck to the high input so far on my stock Cube. I do mean to check it out but just haven't yet.
I like clean headroom. Increasingly, I go into the low and crank the master.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I have an Artist 1x12. I use the Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule with it. But at first it was stock. I did not notice a "v" EQ scoop on the lead channel. And the Dual Channel feature (which I was VERY excited about) was useless to me. I love the amp, I use it with my classic rock band, and I probably should have gotten the 2x12 for more coverage (on stage, as the gigs we play are always mic'ed amps).

joebloggs13

Tele-Afflicted
I used to own one. Only ever used the clean channel. Got all my OD from pedals. Never bonded with the Gain and Dual channels. Didn't sound right to me...I just had the stock tone capsule. The clean channel was good tho.