Bluejays can kind of be jerks

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Here in London's green spaces I'm used to seeing birds you maybe wouldn't expect in the city, such as kestrels, herons, egrets, cormorants, woodpeckers, swans, many types of geese, and the now ubiquitous ring-necked parakeet.

But in the last few months I have seen honey buzzards, kingfishers, and just the other day, for the first time ever, a black swan.

You want wildlife? Apparently you need to come to London.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Years ago my parent's house had trees on each end of the yard, bluejays had a nest on one side and mockingbirds on the other side, constantly fightly swooping toward each other, and toward people too! Both are very aggressive birds.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
back in time about 259 million years after the last reptilian dinosaurs were in the throws of turning into fossil fuels , I used to throw a 50lb pack on my back and climb into the mountains for several weeks at a time . every time I did I took a small bag of mixed nuts with me to feed the the local whiskey Jacks a relative of the jay family , these little guys would fly right into your hand and eat from there , so cool , I kinda got to like jays after that

5058052857_f44f597f35_b.jpg

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
They dominate the bird feeder here, unless a Flicker shows up. Then they stand back. Raucous, group feeding. Essentially blue Crows.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
So I've got a big picture window in the living room, with the couch backed up to it. The cat likes to sit on the back of the couch and keep an eye on the neighborhood. I'm sitting there this afternoon when there's an almighty thud and I see the cat rear up in surprise. A bluejay came at the cat full speed and smashed head first into the window, hard enough to leave a little feather residue behind. I look out and he's laying in the rocks beneath the window motionless, and by the sound when he hit the window, I figure he's got to be a goner.

I go and put some shoes on to go out and clean up the corpse, but when I get back to the living room and look out the window again, the bluejay is gone! Tougher than they look, I think, and go back to relaxing in front of the goggle box. 20 minutes or so go by and the cat is sawing logs on the couch back, and I may have been resting my eyes for a few seconds, when here comes the bluejay again.

The same one? A second kamikaze? Don't know... Again the window is hit hard enough to reverberate slightly, the cat has a small heart attack (me too), and when I look outside there's a stunned bluejay laying in the rocks again. I wait a few minutes, and sure enough he slowly comes back to life and eventually flies off. It's beyond me what he was trying to accomplish, maybe trying to do a fly-by on the cat and give him a scare? Was he mad because the bird feeder was low on seed?

I'm thinking it will be a self-solving problem, because if he keeps rapping his melon that hard on the window, he'll be pushing up daisies pretty soon. Or maybe he's hit enough windows that he's goofy and enjoys it. I just know that both the cat and I are too old for this *stuff*!
we have stellar jays here..related to the blue jays..very demanding birds..if i'm out on the deck..say..having coffee and a cookie or something..he/they want one too.i often toss a few peanuts for the squirrels we have around here...they come right up to your feet and stand on their hind legs just looking at you...give them a peanut, they go down the stairs in the yard then either jays or the local crows try and get the little rodent to freak out and drop it's treat. the jays will come right up to you and squawk until you give em something as well.re: bird hitting window we had a similar thing happen to our front window one night..our ( now passed) cockatiel was on his cage talking to us ( he meowed did rooster and a few other things too) and a huge owl smashed into the front window trying to get him..couple minutes later same thing..left an imprint on the glass full spread of his wings..must have been close to 4 ft in spread was like a someone had drawn it with dust on the window..he gets back up on the tree branch after and then decides to take off..we kept the curtains drawn after that

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
we have stellar jays here..related to the blue jays..very demanding birds..if i'm out on the deck..say..having coffee and a cookie or something..he/they want one too.i often toss a few peanuts for the squirrels we have around here...they come right up to your feet and stand on their hind legs just looking at you...give them a peanut, they go down the stairs in the yard then either jays or the local crows try and get the little rodent to freak out and drop it's treat. the jays will come right up to you and squawk until you give em something as well.re: bird hitting window we had a similar thing happen to our front window one night..our ( now passed) cockatiel was on his cage talking to us ( he meowed did rooster and a few other things too) and a huge owl smashed into the front window trying to get him..couple minutes later same thing..left an imprint on the glass full spread of his wings..must have been close to 4 ft in spread was like a someone had drawn it with dust on the window..he gets back up on the tree branch after and then decides to take off..we kept the curtains drawn after that

Hey did Ms BOC get the magpie pic?

Cam

Friend of Leo's
Imagine that, birds eating birds and other such things. How awful! The hamburger meatballs for supper were yummy tonight. (Heh!)
I've been dive bombed by redwing blackbirds. They are relentless whilst nesting.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
back in time about 259 million years after the last reptilian dinosaurs were in the throws of turning into fossil fuels , I used to throw a 50lb pack on my back and climb into the mountains for several weeks at a time . every time I did I took a small bag of mixed nuts with me to feed the the local whiskey Jacks a relative of the jay family , these little guys would fly right into your hand and eat from there , so cool , I kinda got to like jays after that

View attachment 923134
ya...i can't remember back that far