Bluejays can kind of be jerks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Scooter91, Nov 24, 2021.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a pair of Magpies and their offspring living around here,,, we also have a few walkers and bike riders using our quiet road for an exercise loop..

never seen these guys swoop anyone....

Scooter91 likes this.
  2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

That's a different bird, they don't have Steller's jays in Minnesota.

Just like they don't have blue jays out here.

Steller's and Scrub jays, they're both jays that are blue, but no blue jays.

Scooter91 likes this.
  3. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

When I was a kid a few of my neighbors had Pigeons. My parents got a couple too but when we went on vacation we had the neighbor take of them. When we came home...... no pigeons. An owl (or owls) got our two as well as a few of his. The silent killers.

Scooter91 likes this.
  4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I would say that redwing blackbirds are even bigger jerks, but it's really just their programming--because as we surely all know by now, birds aren't real.

G.Rotten and Scooter91 like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife and I have sworn off trying to save baby birds, it always ends not well. A stinking Blue Jay nailed the last one we were trying to save. The momma dove built a nest on a plant rack out on the patio, then abandoned it, and her baby for some reason. We were trying to take care of it, then one day I was sitting in the kitchen when I looked out the window, and saw the dirty rotten cannibal Blue Jay when he grabbed it out of the nest and killed it. I don't like those things. I run 'em off when they come begging.

Scooter91 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep, I’m farther up the coast. Steller’s around here, with Whiskey Jacks generally at higher altitudes. Supposedly Blue Jays have spread to the coast from Northern California to BC, but I’ve never seen one.

It’s good to keep in mind that jays are on the corvid spectrum which ranges from jays to magpies to crows and ravens. All smart birds, and that’s not always good. But it’s fun.

Scooter91 likes this.
  7. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

The Red Wing Black Birds used to drive bomb our Golden Retriever when I was a kid. It wasn't a constant thing and it was only to protect their nests but it did make our dog hate birds in general. In the other post I mentioned my neighbors had pigeons and our dog caught one in mid flight and ate it. It was both impressive and sad.

Scooter91 and Willie Johnson like this.
  8. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Please thank your dog for pushing back against the system. I hope he was ok after ingesting all of those drone components.

Scooter91 and G.Rotten like this.
  9. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Holic

Blue jay's are nest robbers...they kill other birds.

Toto'sDad and Scooter91 like this.
  10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

Isn't that Cowbirds?

Scooter91 likes this.
  11. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Holic

Both I think...

Scooter91 likes this.
  12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Scooter91, DugT and Tarkus60 like this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have 5 stellar jays at present , they are fearless, i started leaving peanuts out for them about 3 years ago, Caruso ( the name I gave the first one ever) would fly around the house looking for me , including hanging upside down off the eves to look in the front window , and on more than 1 occasion would come into the house looking for me , but the reason he got the name caruso was because he would sit on the back deck and would sing to me a really beautiul song not the regular sqawk and towards the end of the summer season he arrives with his mate , no fear of me would come right up to about inches away from me . 2 weeks later I get an influx of about 5 of them 3 of which just earned thier wings , flying was good but landing was an issue it was funny to watch

so one day as I wa heading off to work and I am backing out the drive way i look in my rear view and there is caruso hopping down the drive way after , as if to say" MISTER MISTER WHERE IS MY PEANUTS?"

last spring a young but new Jay arrived and would sit on the back deck singing the same beautiful song as Causo did but this guy is a little more shy

this is cruso and his mate, notice the one of 7 grouse I had living in the back yard 1 rooster and 6 hens.... a sweet harem lol

P5221117.JPG

P1010662.JPG P1010664.JPG P1010665.JPG

14. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

On my postal delivery round I get harassed every day by an Australian Magpie Lark otherwise known as a Peewee. I only just found at that they can be quite territorial and defend their territory while nesting.
    This little bastage swoops, hovers and strikes my helmet all the while making it's peewee squawk for about a block and a half.

1800.jpg

15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Friend of Leo's

I wish I could post short videos. I have one of the bird at my work who swoops at everyone in the parking lot at shift changes. Small Grey, Black and White Bird.

Screenshot_2021-11-25-01-51-03.png
    Here's a screen shot. Little jerk got about 6" from my head.

El Tele Lobo, Scooter91 and 24 track like this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

this is our northamerican magpies and yes they are very territoial and will defend against every thing

apa_2016-p1_1428_1_black-billed-magpie_amanda_ubell_kk.jpg

17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I moved to north Georgia this past June. Immediately realized I needed a bird feeder because I live in a heavily wooded area with lots of farms around. Although there are about 20 different birds that visit our feeders we studied the Blue Jays first.
    Adult male and female Bluejays are virtually identical. We looked at the birds then looked and the books and studies of them. The way you tell them apart is their voice. The males do a lot of pitched squawking almost like a hawk. The females have a lower warbling almost guttural chirping. We watch them daily and spend hours watching and listening. They won't eat from the hanging feeders, they like a hopper or tray, mostly peanuts. They use the birdbath to drink but hardly ever use it as a bath. Almost all the other birds use it for both.
    There are Jays that are the same size but have a blue/gray cowling but we only saw them in the summer. We are thinking those are adolescent BlueJays with out the white feathers yet. They don't match any other Jays we saw in books or photos.None of them have dive bombed us yet or the cat or dog. But they shoo away other birds for sure.

We have Cardinals, White Breasted Nut Hatch, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadees, Carolina Wren, Brown Thrasher, Robin, Pine Warbler, Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Red Bellied Woodpecker, Bluebirds, Black Catbird, Rusty Blackbird ( no one likes him-killer), Red Tailed Hawks, Blackbirds and the most beautiful of them all is the Cedar Waxwing.

There are several birds that just showed up on their way south. It's pretty cool. I don't have a camera yet. Procrastinating on what to get.

Scooter91 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The jerk blue jay that killed the little dove didn't even eat it, just killed it. I tried to get him, but he was a wily devil, and stayed just out of reach.

Scooter91 likes this.
  19. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

When I was a kid, a Bluejay pecked my brain

Scooter91 likes this.
  20. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

My once-feral cat doesn’t take any crap from blue jays. She just kills them if they get close. The pester her from a distance (noise) but I think they’ve learned not to get too close to that cat. I guess I can’t blame them for pestering her while she’s eating their cousin.

Scooter91 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.