Blue With Lou, New Nils Lofgrin

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Greggorios, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Big congrats to Nils Lofgren on a great new release. Got my copy of "Blue With Lou" yesterday and really enjoying it. Nils wrote 5 of the 12 songs with Lou Reed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Jim W, Mike_LA, warrent and 2 others like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Is that Nils on slide?.....is there ANYTHING that guy can't do? I've liked him since Grin.......

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

That's cool. Underrated player, and longtime Lou fan. Thanks for letting us know about this release. Will check it out.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I believe he's playing slide. Liner notes indicate he's covering all of the guitars.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What I've heard so far, sounds pretty good.

Don't sense any Lou in it, though.

Greggorios and brookdalebill like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That can only be a good thing, IMO.
    Not a Lou fan, at all.

Greggorios and boris bubbanov like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Lou's probably not the worse thing that's ever happened.

But the New York Opinion Making Scene is so overbearing and over the top. This scene adopts or doesn't adopt a person and it becomes a binary choice. Absolute Hero or Total Zero. And the result is, The Ramones are suddenly the only thing on the planet that matters. If you happen to be a band that runs afoul of the Ramones narrative, they try to snuff that out.

I do not want to swear an Oath of Allegiance to Nico. I really admired The New York Dolls but I think you should put them in perspective. The Band is great, rather in spite of the New York Press's efforts to jam them down our throats. Leonard Cohen is wonderful but despite all the pushing and prodding from New York City. And I'm not going to find anything nice to say about Lou Reed until certain people stop making all these breathless comments about his majesty.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I think this is a solid post. Well said.

I've been around art circles and NYC as well. More great and cool and creative bands and artists than you can shake a stick at. Along with, of course, tons of dreck and dross.

But the NYC attitude can most certainly be pretentious as all get-out. I mean, undeniably great, world class city.

But it's not as if everything worthwhile comes from there, or that something is objectively more important or interesting, etc., due to having originated there.

There's an element of "I'm so cool to be at this gig, or this gallery, but I have to appear bored and disaffected, because that's what cool looks like."

Obviously not everyone is like that. But that element is there to an extent.

At the same time, I do love The Ramones and think Lou wrote some killer songs. No NYC anti art angst is going to dictate what I enjoy or find cool.

(And I'm not saying you are like that either.)

I dunno...I gave up giving a rat's rusty behind about being hip or having street cred half my life ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.