Blue Tooth Ear Buds - Apple vs EH ??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Apr 3, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I want to buy a pair of Bluetooth earbuds. I know several people with the Apple AirPods and I'm a big fan of Apple.

These are $140....

https://www.apple.com/airpods-2nd-generation/

Electro-Harmonix makes a set that specs out almost the same; these are $70 through B&H Photo.....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/?msclkid=5c4485d88fcb1367e873db5fd7d41e42

I'm a big fan of Mike Matthews, I like the price and specs and I like the fact that my ear buds won't be confused with the other 15 sets of Apple ear buds in my office. I like that if I loose an EH earbud then it won't be a $140 mistake.

I don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish. What would you do??

Thanks.

2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

I recently bought a pair for $6.50 at the gas station. They work just fine. Ain't technology wonderful?

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

If you have an iPhone nothing will beat the wireless performance and feature set of AirPod because they've made a chipset/firmware solution beyond standard bluetooth protocol. I know the how well that really works because we have other well rated stuff in the family.

COSTCO almost always has the basic AirPods at a discount.

AirPods Pro are a whole other league. The noise cancelling and higher sound quality is just one part. Beyond that they have a transparency mode to hear your surroundings, and pressure equalization other in ear types don't have. If you're a frequent traveler (air travel) or around data center or machine noise you have the noise cancellation without the bulk of can type.

When I bought the Pros I wondered what I just did with that much money. All second guessing was gone in a hurry - wearing them at data center and an airline flight. Then I realized for me the transparency mode even works as hearing aids. The AirPod Pros are the only in ear, sealed type of many I did not end up disliking. You do however pay for it.

alnicopu and fendertx like this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I bought a bluetooth receiver for $15 off Amazon. Then I plug any earbuds into the teeny receiver. About an inch square, has a built in mic and pause, play, ff, and rewind. 15 hour battery life. 45 minutes for a full recharge.

6. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i have read that sony wireless wf 1000xm3 earbuds have the best music audio quality

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

air pods.

imwjl, Buckocaster51 and studio1087 like this.
  8. imwjl

I can attest to the cans-type late model Sony loving the fidelity, tunable nature and noise cancellation but I'm not sure those have the equalization that makes the AirPods Pro so outstanding. In one package the AirPods Pro are both utility and high fidelity.

I'd like to know if others have achieved that equalization and "transparency" stuff Apple's done.

9. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Never was an Apple fanboy till My wife got me an iPhone. If you have an iPhone get the airpods. The Apple environment is all made to work together. You dont have to fiddle with it. It just works out of the box. Android is just a bunch of external stuff kinda cobbled together like the old AMC cars. Ford A/C compressor, GM distributor, etc. We all remember how well those worked out.

studio1087 likes this.
  10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Had a pair of the original AirPods but they were useless in a lot of situations because of a lack of noise cancellation. They sucked at the gym, for instance, which is pretty much what I bought them for. The Jabras I replaced them with are a lot better, though a little janky with an iPhone. I would definitely get the true wireless fits-in-you-ear type, though. Handy.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I wasn’t familiar with the Pros.

Now I want them.

Thanks a lot! ;)

Frodebro and imwjl like this.
  12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm familiar with them and will eventually wind up getting a pair, but right now all the stores in my area that carry them are shut down. Online shopping doesn't work well for me, because I like to have my stuff NOW!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I know that with all the Apple products that I own, Apple makes the most sense.

Ironic, my wife just came back from a walk in our woods with her dog. She’s freaking because she had the AirPods on the walk and she can’t find them anywhere. It’s making me think.....Mmmm maybe I don’t want the $130 AirBuds.

I tend to be far more anal than she is with putting things in the same place every time. AirBuds. I think.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

studio1087 likes this.
  15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Between phone and blue-tooth, it's always going to sound bad. I have an $18 pair that charge in an hour, last at least 12 and are indestructible.

16. imwjl

Are you saying that with actual experience with late model bluetooth headphones and earbuds? I do know my 6th decade hearing is not same as youth but I have respectable or top wired and wireless. The Sony can type I got absolutely confirm the reviews that in essence say Sony has really done their homework with sound and noise cancellation.

You've got me if the AirPod Pros are not in the league of my top rated Sony or wired B&W with fidelity, but they top all past wireless buds purchases (JayBird, Bose, Apple).

One's job and lifestyle might also weigh in on value here. Telecom is still a big part of my work. I don't do air travel like I used to but noise cancellation is very nice on an international trip or longer flight. With tinnitus good noise cancellation has made listening at lower volumes a pleasure.

For original style AirPods there are rubber or silicone covers with tabs that totally secure the fit and offer some isolation.

BTW, I know there are very inexpensive options there. In IT management, we buy them dozens at at time for training and shop floor purposes.

It might be like this. My Squier brand/grade Stratocaster and my US made AVRI and FSR grade/brand purchases were all great.

17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

studio1087 likes this.
  18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Disappointed. For an earbud that advertises deep bass, the bass response is actually pretty awful. Sound tinnier than Apple's standard earbuds. Hope they'll take them back. I've usually been pretty happy with JBL stuff, but these are a no-go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.