1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blue chip pick question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fireball519, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

A friend of mine gave me a Blue Chip pick today. Great pick. Wonderful tone. Unfortunately, it's a standard size pick and the only thing I can really use is a 358 style. Does anyone have any advice on reshaping this pick into a 358 shape? Just regular sandpaper?

2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think I'd be taking sandpaper to a $35 pick. Have you looked at their jazz picks?

3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

You might contact the Blue Chip folks about an exchange.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I bought some Blue Chip picks that were the same size as Jazz III picks.

5. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Well as far as price goes, it was given to me with the instructions "reshape it if you want to brother." I just didnt know if sandpaper would do the job or not

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Sandpaper will do it, but if you pad it and grip it in a vise and use a file it wil go a whole lot faster.

Using a powered belt or disk sander may work, but you run the risk of building up heat and melting the material.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Holic

Great picks. Get one that suits your preferred shape. I recommend foregoing the speed bevel.

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Woe! Woe! Woe!

I’m usually 100% with you but...did you just recommend a belt sander for shaping a pick?

Archtop Bill likes this.
  9. Peegoo

It "may" work...depending on the specific tool. You can use fine grit and slow speed on all sorts of plastics.

If you're taking issue with the fact that a belt sander removes material too fast, well, that's not the belt sander's fault. That's caused by the operator pushing the material too far into the belt ;)

El Tele Lobo and Fretting out like this.
  10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Blue Chip makes fantastic picks, they don't slide around in your grip and they last forever. They're all I use for acoustic work. I do not recommend trying to mod a $40 pick. I would go on the Mandoline Cafe and sell it to someone who can use it and buy yourself some Dunlop jazz picks with the proceeds.

Torren61 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. Peegoo

Hang on, guys. Fireball519 didn't ask if it was a good idea to modify the pick.

He asked for advice on how to go about doing it. Yeah, it's expensive, but he already knows that, and he already knows other picks are a whole lot cheaper ;)

12. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Yep. The tone of that material sounds great on my acoustic. I just cant use a big (351 style) pick. I'm gonna try. Thanks for the advice guys

Peegoo likes this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

You might want to just try it for awhile as is. I’ve got two Blue Chip something-40s and they are quite a bit larger than a standard pick. It didn’t take long to get used to ‘em and the shapes of mine mean I can pick them up and play on any corner, either side. Just an idea because I normally dislike large picks.

14. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I actually have a bit of experience with along these lines. I mostly agree with the people who question the wisdom of trying to reshape a $35 pick, but that said, I reshape picks and have had a lot of success doing it.

When I reshape a pick I usually start with an ultra-fine sharpie style marker and make an outline that is slightly bigger than what I want for my end result. Then I use one of those pencil attachments on my dremel-style rotary tool. I put one of those diamond or tungst/carb grinder tips in the collet and use it to grind out a rough shape. Then I use needle files to clean it up and finish the shaping. Then I have a flat piece of marble counter offcut with different grits of sandpaper affixed to its surface, and I take the pick in hand and rub it against the paper to finish the job. The first two steps aren't that hard so long as you know exactly what you want. The part that is really an art is the final stage because that's where you create the pick's beveled edged and tip (i.e. the part you can control that can make all the difference when playing). This is not as easy as it looks--you have to get just the right grit at just the right angle to get the correct result--and is easy to screw up. Since I'm normally using nylon picks that cost about a buck a piece when I do this, this doesn't bother or deter me in the slightest. But if you're going to try to do it with a $35 pick? May be another story.

On the whole, I think trying to reshape picks can be a surprisingly rewarding experience. You can try all sorts of different things and really get to know what you like and don't like.

15. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice! I usually buy white Fender 351 picks and reshape them myself. I was just curious about this material. I've never worked with it before

ahiddentableau likes this.
  16. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

If you have a fair bit of experience doing the work, then I think that changes things. You know what you want. You know you have developed the skill to do the reshape.

I think you should do it.

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use the nail file on my nail clippers to reshape picks when I need to. It goes slow enough to not go to far, but not too slow for my impatience, and it leaves the edge smooth enough for my taste. I also have a V-Picks "Ghost Rim Touch-up Tool" that I tried, but it's tough to clean it after using it on non V-Picks.

18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Or your fingers :rolleyes:...

19. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

P Thought likes this.
  20. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm probably gonna shape it out tonight. I'll post pics when finished

Stubee and P Thought like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.