1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blue Chip and Timber Tone Lignum Vitae Picks

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitapik, Dec 8, 2014.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I took the plunge and went for a couple of Blue Chip picks (Jazz50 and STP50) and they really are all that. Literally "keepers" because you really don't want to lose a $35 pick. The fact that they're so durable, sound great, and don't slip is very, very cool. I know that there are a lot of people who don't understand spending that kind of money on a pick (I've been using the Dunlop Black Jazz III and have to admit that I didn't get it, either), I've gotta say that I really dig these picks.

Now: on the other end of the spectrum is the Timber Tone Lignum Vitae pick. It is perfect on a Strat if you're looking for some grit. Fantastic for blues work and rock where you want that scrape and extra bite. I used to use one before landing on the Jazz III. Last night I was using the Blue Chip and decided to revisit the Timber Tone and A/B them. It's a totally different pick...and I love it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

I've been a Jazz III (red) guy for ages. Which model Blue Chip would probably be a good choice?

(yeah.....I've been curious about them)

3. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Did I read that right? He's selling a single pick for $75?

4. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a lignum Vitae pick as well, along with some other wood picks. I love the tone they give, but I also tend to use a jazz III. The tip on the Jazz III is a bit smaller and finer than the wood picks, which I like, but the wood picks can have better tone in some situations.

5. gitapik

Exactly. I really love the Jazz III, but the wood sound on the Lignum is perfect for some stuff. Dry 'n gritty. Can really dig in there. Funky stuff.
    Yeah...he's got a couple at that price. Mine are $35 each. They say the material they're made out of is super expensive. I was very skeptical. But if these things last as long as they say...they definitely sound and feel right.

I got the Jazz50. It's a very little bit smaller than the Jazz III. Same feel, but a little smoother. There's a 60 as well.

They've got a good return and exchange policy. I won't be sending mine back.

6. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Where did you get the Blue Chip?

7. gitapik

http://www.bluechippick.net

I've been using mine quite a bit, lately. I keep using the Jazz III, still, simply because I like it and it's a great, inexpensive fall back, in case I lose the Jazz50. But the more I play this Jazz50, the more I like it.

The STP50 is ridiculous with my LP. Especially with mid to high OD/distortion.

They're really nice for acoustics, too.

I don't want to be the guy who "convinced me to buy this stupid pick"...so remember that the return policy is 30 days. You won't break one. All I know is that the more I play them, the more i like them. They're different and require some getting used to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.