Blood Pressure and Sound Issues.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SamIV, Apr 10, 2021.

1. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Wanted to put this out there to see is any of you have experienced or heard of this. Since January my wife has been having an issue with we seem to believe is related to her blood pressure. She also is hearing deficient and has tinnitus. She is on blood pressure medicine, on a low salt diet, and just recently started taking something for anxiety. Also has tried CBD, NyQuil sleeping aids and melatonin for her sleeping issues.

She has this sound in her head that first started off as sounding like her blood pumping or her heart beat. She also has other sounds that she can’t really describe. The sound has gotten so bad lately that she has not been to able to work and spends most of her time in bed. She also has problems sleeping and the sleep deprivation is not helping either.

She was put on blood pressure medicine which did help her in the beginning with her blood pressure problems probably 4-5 years ago. She had the sound then but at much lower levels and the medicine helped. But it has gotten to the point where she rarely leaves the house. Mostly for doctor visits recently who are only doing tests to check her heart and arteries. She was seeing a GP up until recently and is now seeing a cardiologist, but he seems to ignore her concerns about the noise. They don’t seem to have any real concern or answer for the noise.

Before seeing the cardiologist, the GP upped her dose for her blood pressure medicine which made the noise worse. With such a diverse and knowledge community here, hoping someone here has had or heard of a similar issue and found results.

Boreas likes this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Change doctors. They don't all have the same approach. If your wife isn't getting the care/answers to her discomfort then I would change. Best of luck finding out the causes and bringing your wife some comfort.

3. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

We have appointments with two others as well. Two other internal doctors. Thanks for the input. And this is her second cardiologist.

dented, Boreas and getbent like this.
  4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I can relate, in part anyway.

I have, and have had for several years now, hypertension (high blood pressure). I sometimes hear my pulse in my head, and I seem to hear it more often now that I’ve had (2020) my aortic valve replaced. I think I may be having a stronger pulse because of the valve working better. But I don’t think I hear other unexplained sounds.

My replacement valve was cow tissue. On the positive side, I think I now have an excuse for appreciating uncovered mammary glands. ;)

Flip G and Boreas like this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Definitely get a second opinion - and rule out brain vascular pathology. Not to scare you, but brain aneurisms can act similarly. And aneurisms can be associated/exacerbated by chronic or episodes of extreme hypertension. There are other vascular problems in the brain that can be found on a simple CAT sscan.

Rule out the dangerous stuff first, then focus on the smaller stuff. Tinnitus can be a sign of drug toxicity - including OTC medicines.

6. Boreas

Do we need an excuse for that??

Flip G likes this.
  7. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the replies.

8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Hmm, I have borderline hypertension (take medication to keep it under) and tinnitus (too many years of gigging), but never thought about a connection...

Boreas likes this.
  9. Boreas

There are dozens of good hypertension medications out there. Talk to your doctor about trying a few different ones to see if it helps the tinnitus. But as mentioned above OTC medication - especially NSAIDS can result in tinnitus as well. I believe excessive caffeine, tobacco, stress can too! Anything that raises blood pressure.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 Yup, there are a bazillion different blood pressure medicines and combinations. If the doctor is not responding to your wife's issues, it is time to change doctors.

BTW, make sure that your wife and doctor both know and understand any other med's/therapies being undertaken in parallel with her BP meds. Very important. Very.

Boreas likes this.
  11. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

OMG, give up coffee?? I'd rather suffer with tinnitus!!

12. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

I'm hypertensive, and I have tinnitus from reckless concerts as a youth. It's a lot of fun...

I had that blood pumping thing in my ears a bit but my BP meds helped. I have a great doctor which helps. As mentioned earlier a second opinion might be in order.

Boreas likes this.
  13. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

hearing your heartbeat sounds like pulsatile tinnitus to me. my mother has it. always hears her heartbeat in her ear. i think with her it's a problem of general sinus dysfunction.

i have something where i can hear my left ear adjusting to SPL (the tensor tympani muscles contract for loud sounds). so if i'm in a dead quiet room, and i hit/tap something, i hear my ear go flick-flick. sometimes when i'm playing acoustically continously in a quiet room (or stuff with loud high frequency transients like picking has), i get a general background rumbling that sounds like when you squeeze your eustachian tubes. but if the ambient noise is loud enough, i don't, because at that point the muscles have contracted enough gradually (instead of quickly bracing for impact).

i think it's called tensor tympani myoclonus. it isn't serious but there isn't really a fix for out outside of cutting a muscle surgically. though that can be risky, because it eliminates the ability of the tensor tympani muscles to contract automatically...so your ability to protect your ears from loud sounds becomes totally manual/a conscious effort.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    yegbert and Boreas like this.
  14. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

We have an appointment with an internal medicine doctor next week. Hopefully will provide some answers. This is her second cardiologist. Thanks for all the replies.

Boreas likes this.
  15. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Just for covering all bases, see if you can get an appointment with an audiologist too at some point. Aside from general hearing tests, they perform other tests to measure things related to vestibular function. You will also have charts and data to show what exactly is going on as well. IME i've had a tough time getting a hold of certain hearing phenomena with doctors (even some otolaryngologists!) without having that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Boreas likes this.
  16. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Did not mention, but we have seen the audiologist as well. Thanks for the input though.

17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I have no suggestions as far as resolutions, but I will share some experiences-
    Tinnitus: mine varies a lot, but only from moderate to severe. it never stops, I just get used to it.
    I do associate the variation with blood pressure, sodium uptake, fatigue, etc.
    Of course loud sounds will cause some follow up symptoms. As well as being a root cause and source of long term/permanent damage.
    Avoiding it isnt always practical, but I try harder these days.

I also experience two different types of heartbeat related audio phenomenon.
    One is more of a "thump-thump" of my heart beating hard. Possibly exertion combined with mild blood pressure issues.
    The second is more of a "thrumming" that sounds more like "wowowow" and I think it is related to a sudden change in blood pressure. I seem to be able to go from hypo to hyper (or vice-versa) in short order at times.

My personal choice thus far is to avoid meds if at all possible. All to often it seems the medical profession wants to put me on things with side effects worse than the symptom.

I take nothing, as much of the time as possible. Eat a well rounded sensible diet (except that I eat too much of it)
    One exception. I do take a daily dose of turmeric. I am generally a skeptic about such things, but after some experimenting I am 100% convinced it reduces my hand pain (arthritis)
    I can feel the difference if I miss just one day.
    It takes a while though. I think it was around 30 days, and I was about to quit before I was convinced.

Anyway- my experiences.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Many times it is the Insurace Company telling the Doctor how to treat the Patient.

Gag order. The Doctor can't tell the Patient WHY they dance around the Problem.

beanluc likes this.
  19. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

In my 40 year career as a community pharmacist I saw a small, but significant number of patients whom I came to think of as hyper-somatics. These were folks who had legitimate health concerns which usually involved mostly common problems such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Type-2 diabetes, etc.- nothing atypical or exotic. What these patients all shared other than fairly routine, controlled, non-life-threatening medical conditions was a hyper awareness of bodily functions or sensations. The two most frequent complaints that I heard were of floaters in the visual field and sounds related to blood flow/heartbeat. Medically speaking, most people commonly experience both of those things frequently, yet for them their presence is relegated to the background of conscious awareness. For those hyper-somatics their threshold of awareness was apparently much lower than the average person bringing the awareness of these sounds, visual disturbances and sensations to an unwanted heightened awareness.

Over the years I saw some of these hyper-somatic patients get some relief via psychological counseling with an emphasis on relaxation techniques, some with anti-anxiety meds, and some who never seemed to get any relief. I'm convinced that human beings have a range of bodily self-awareness that can, in extreme cases, be a cause of considerable psychological distress.

I hope that your wife will explore all possible avenues of treatment so that she may get some relief.

mfguitar and Boreas like this.
  20. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Thank you very much for your input.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.