Blonde Tele’s

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by benjamintwells, Sep 6, 2019.

1. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN TDPRI Member

Had an old blonde telecaster of pine and it was a Squire. Wish I would have kept that one, it was
    a great player, good pick ups and a bulldog of an axe.

benjamintwells likes this.
  2. JackL

JackL Tele-Meister

Here's my Butterscotch over Pine body. Nocaster pickups and an Allparts TMOV neck. 20190907_054325.jpg 20190907_054313.jpg

3. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Very nice. I have a really good looking MIM mahogany Thinline reissue and I have to admit that I have wondered what a finish like this or a bit more of the 2012-2018 '52 reissue might look like over the top of it. Especially with the least amount of coverage possible to make it look "finished" and not half-a$$ed.

4. JackL

JackL Tele-Meister

I never tried painting Blonde over mahogany, I supposed it might show a darker shade. The Butterscotch blonde I painted was a thin coat, I stopped when I was able to get a see through grain look. Some area's there were pitch or dark lines coming though the finish. It still looks good after 10 years.

I'd like to try a Mary Kaye blonde finish over Swamp Ash as a next project.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I trust everyone now sees the issue with "Blonde" .. its subject to each individual interpretation, and why I ask guys to send a photo or two of the specific color they are looking for..

There never was an original vintage "blonde".. There was white.. which arrived in various stages of opacity.. Since Leo sourced lacquers from multiple suppliers.. (no, Dupont Duco was not the only lacquer he used) . . . those different lacquers would age, or shift color toward a more yellow/amber shade over time... thus producing the broad range of BUTTERSCOTCH blonde colors seen on different guitars so sought today...

the reason for the shift is naturally occurring UV light and pollution... example.. go look at an old computer case.. it's "aged" to various shades ranging from yellow to a sick baby poop green/brown... that's UV light.... and other "indigenous" pollutions found around the typical computer work station then and now...

the Natural finished guitars.. were just a clear coat over the natural wood... but that lacquer also became more and more amber over time, producing those beautiful golden amber clear finishes... but the clear became amber more intensely than the white, which is why on real vintage guitars you can see a white edge where the wear has removed the lacquer all the way down to the wood... (google Buchanan's Nancy) so when ya do a BSB.. you should put down white, then a tinted clear to achieve the correct color and wear patterns as it ages...

I might mention, the beautiful amber shades weren't all the "fault" of the lacquer... Natural wood also reacts to UV light and becomes more and more golden as time passes, which also contributes to the color..

as a visual reference... for a blonde or BSB .. think of either milk, or coffee with a lotta cream, spilled on a wooden table... you can see the grain "peeking" through the milky liquid... but the color of the Milk, or Coffee is predominant...

For amber guitars think of looking at wood grain through a mug of beer.. preferably a real bear with a golden amber shade... its completely clear, not milky... but it's color tints the natural tone of the wood... thus the wood could be seen as different colors based on if you're looking through Budweiser, Killian's Red, any of the Sam Adams, etc, etc.. in all, the clarity of the grain's appearance is not impeded as it is by the milky quality of the spilled coffee..

So today, there is no baseline for BSB or natural amber... or even vintage white for that matter... so.. find ya a pix of something ya like and shoot for it... and remember... no one really cares what color your guitars is, because ya cannot hear the color... your playing however . . . ;)

rk

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  6. benjamintwells

benjamintwells TDPRI Member

I’ve heard that, but never seen one.

I’ve seen a couple of people try to copy that, but it almost always comes out a little amateur with a strong “wiped on” appearance.

Great addition to the post, thank you!

rze99 likes this.
  7. benjamintwells

All great info, and all accurate. It adds value to the thread.

Thank you for taking the time to write it!

8. benjamintwells

Everyone seems to love their pine tele’s.

9. benjamintwells

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah I've posted a couple of my own builds with wipe on white finish - perhaps what you are thinking of!

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-white-blonde-50s-white-guard-build-with-baked-maple-neck.961369/

also

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-r...squire-relic-bakelite-nocaster-pickup.939551/

11. benjamintwells

12. JackL

JackL Tele-Meister

Thanks, It's got a slight relic to it. Not as extreme as some I've seen though.

13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

s***loads of hard work and time!

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Not on the refin one. I just wiped some Tru-Oil in there. It had already been previously finished in shellac or nitro (not very well). I didn't really try to get the previous finish out of the knot holes. Just wiped a little Tru-Oil in there now and then. They haven't "wept" over the time I've owned the body.

Another tele I built, where I did a burned finish with a torch, I DID have problems with the knots weeping. I had to clean them with denatured alcohol and then sealed them with CA glue.

15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here's a Piney done a few months ago.. the knot.. has a void that goes all the way through... filled with a crystal clear acrylic resin....

r

DSC_6945.jpeg

16. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Very cool Ron.

17. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 TDPRI Member

I don't, sorry. I have very few pictures of my guitars, cars, and motorcycles mostly just a few shots other people took, and I do regret it. It was pretty traditional looking, butterscotch blonde, black guard, vintage style hardware. But the body was contoured like a Strat.

Here's a photo of the Mahogany/Maple top guitar as it came back to me 20 years later. A penny for a string tree, a poorly cut brass nut, cheapie sealed tuners and Antiquities swapped for Duncan hots not original to my build. Jeffs tele_00001.JPG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  18. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Squier 50s Classic Vibes are pine and I think the Chinese factory did a great job on these with matching the grain and a nice finish.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did the same thing in the mid-70s and made a hard maple Tele body. I put a '65-'66 Strat neck on it, an early 70s Fender Telecaster replacement bridge pickup, and a neck pickup I have no clue about. Not quite a standard thickness, yet heavy as it could be. It had a tone that could cut glass. I consigned it to a accquaintence's guitar shop and it disappeared into the future.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  20. benjamintwells

That’s awesome looking, Ron. Reminiscent of some tables my buddy has done. I’m assuming the answer is no, but was there a change in the tone?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.