Blocking trem vs. Hardtail

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by lanc5, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I blocked my Strat’s trem with a small stack of quarters; added tuning stability, added sustain, and added about US$1.50 value to my guitar...

The complete re-engineering of a tremolo-equipped guitar to add a hard-tail bridge would probably be more cost and trouble than it is worth...and probably wouldn’t help on the weight or sustain.

2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Exactly this or a Clean Drive (preamp) at the front of your effects chain, right after the guitar.

If you want a hard tail single coil guitar, you can’t beat a Telecaster but for me the floating bridge is part of the appeal of a Strat’s Sound.

I don’t break strings on my Strat. I do on guitars with tune-o-matic bridges and I have in my Telecaster. I’ve never broken a string on my Strats. I palm mute just fine on a floating bridge Strat. Double stops with bends and bends with open strings can be done with practice adding pressure with your picking hand to stabilize the bridge (I’m still working on this but I’ve seen it demonstrated effectively). The only advantage I can see is that tuning after restringing would be faster with a blocked bridge or hard tail.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Blocking a Strat will increase the sustain and can be reversed.
    Hardtail looses the spring influence on the tone. Just buy a Tele.:rolleyes:
    Decking increases the sustain a bit, easier to bend strings and better tuning stability. Question is why all the bending when you have a functional tremolo?:lol:
    I got tired of the whammy for a while and decked mine til I wanted a floating trem again. It was easy to change back.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I just built a hardtail Strat, string through body, and used a set of 57/62’s. It’s definitely a LOT brighter than any other 57/62’s I’ve played. It also loses that tone we identify as the Classic Strat sound. Honestly, I don’t like it!

Zepfan likes this.
  5. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I think you'll like both the sustain and the tone of a well blocked trem actually. A lot of renowned "tone" players have done the same. It's definitely different to a hardtail and the reference to "natural reverb" is not without merit. I also suggest you leave the springs and claw in, just screwed down really tight. They do add to the nature of the tone the instrument produces, particularly the tone of the harmonics. I recently blocked and decked my harmonic queen with a solid brass spring claw anchor (Tremidec) and it's now truly outstanding. I have unblocked strats too.

This is the Tremidec solid brass spring claw anchor screwed into the body at 6 places; before blocking ... I have 5 springs in it after blocking the tremolo and decking the bridge. It's a harmonic monster now, with glorious sustain and still sounds airy like a strat, on steroids.

cancercaster_1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.