BLIZZARD 2016!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rolling Estonian, Jan 20, 2016.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

We have a good amount here in the DC suburbs. About 20 inches and still snowing

I did myself a huge favor and made and extra tall snow shovel. I' six four and I'm tired of using shovels made for hobbits!! I bought an extra long handle, sanded it down to fit, and replaced the blade on a conventional snow shovel

What a difference! It's fantastic! Tall guys do not hesitate, get yourself an extra long handle or a good long hardwood dowel. Its like a whole different experience

Attached Files:

2. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Yeah, 17" so far with another foot or so coming....... Luckily the snow is light(ish) so the wind is blowing the snow off trees and limbs so hopefully no mass power outages.

Never one to defend the media and/or weathermen, they nailed this one. And for those laughing about 2'-3' it's no joke here.

M

3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Just dug out the driveway. Maybe 18-20" here in NE Baltimore. I bet our Canadian friends are getting a kick out of this. Or our upper Midwest folks for that matter!

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't see twenty inches in Tysons, or even 17, but it is so hard to tell. The wind is just moving this stuff all over the place. It just is showing no signs of lifting, none.

Maybe my numbers here are lower because we're atop the highest hill in the metro area - meaning within or around the I-495 loop.

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i dont understand why people shovel when its still snowing especially a blizzard with snow blowing all over the place...some will be lucky to shovel a few inches and some will be unlucky and have to shovel big drifts...either way why shovel until the snow stops

6. maxvintage

Easier to shovel ten inches twice than twenty inches once

7. Brad Pittiful

you can shovel 10 of the twenty and then go back for the remaining ten...atthe end of the storm...just seems like twice as much work

now if i had a snow blower or an ATV with a plow...id be out every hour...just for the fun of messing with the snow blower or the ATV with plow :lol:

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

12 - 14 inches here, with blowing drifts.
    I got about 90% of our place blown out and my snow blower died. :mad: Big bummer! I think I have dry rot in the fuel lines and it's sucking air. That sucks.
    Fortunately, my neighbor just got a new big blower and I can use it. Yea. :D
    It's still snowing here, but I got a good jump on it. I think it's beer thirty...

[​IMG]

9. maxvintage

Maybe but the house is full of kids and you are feeling rammy and restless. Factor that in and it all makes sense.

10. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

For driving conditions, sometimes a foot can actually be better than an inch. In areas where drivers may be unaccustomed to driving in snow...It probably doesn't matter...

11. Brad Pittiful

make the kids shovel...tired them out so tey go to bed earlier...then relax and have a few adult beverages haha

watching modern family episode and one of the cast had a sleep over for his kid and the granddad said...make the do activities and tired them out...it always worked when you were little...all the kids were sleeping by 7 :lol:

12. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I concur. I got a jump on it, but maybe 3" have fallen since I finished this at 11:00. I'd rather shovel 18" and then 8" than 26" at once - personal preference I guess.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1453572037.617219.jpg

13. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

Agreed, I moved from Syracuse to south western Virginia where most people have no idea how to drive in weather. Right now, and it is hard to tell because of all the drifting here, we seem to have had 14-18". And it is still coming down. On the bright side my son is enjoying sledding with the neighbors.

14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Watching the flooding in New Jersey, looks bad.
    As for the shovelling, if it's blowing hard, the hole you creat by shovelling gets filled by new snow , so sometimes it's better to wait, but it all depends.
    Hang in there guys

15. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

On Tuesday evening, we decided to go out and buy a snow blower. I have always shoveled, but last winter got ridiculous, so we decided if it looked like we were going to get even one good storm this winter, we would get a lower.

The funny thing is, the forecast changed so many times since Tuesday, we didn't know if we were going to use it. It was still crated up until I got home from work yesterday and by then, the start of the storm was pushed up by almost 12 hours, so i put it together and fired it up to make sure it worked and then I staked out the curbing and whatnot in the dark.

Slept nice and late and went out around noon to use it for the first time. Worked great!

Even went over the the neighbor's and did their drive and walk only to have the wife come out after I was done to tell me they bought a snow blower too this year and it wasn't really necessary to help them. Notice how she came out after I was done!

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The official snow fall numbers don't mean much to those of us removing two feet or more of drifted snow.

17. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

About 20 inches here in Manassas (20 miles outside DC) Playing family Parcheesi, shoveling and keeping the wood stove hot. We still have power so if that stays we should be good

18. Boyd

Boyd Tele-Afflicted

I'm down at the Southern end of New Jersey, maybe 15 miles inland from the coast. Conditions really not very bad here. 9" snow on the ground. Light snow on and off today, mixing with some light rain now at 36 degrees.

Got a new snowblower to replace my 10 year old POS last fall. Not going to bother with it unless something changes dramatically though. My "driveway" is an ~800 foot litle sand road filled with big potholes. I don't bother clearing it unless my car can't go through. Just replaced my 10 year old generator this fall also, so I'm ready for whatever comes.

Was surprised to see that my little road had been nicely cleared when I drove down the driveway just now. Unless things get worse, I may attempt the 5 mile drive into Mays Landing in search of some take-out food for dinner. :)

My daughter lives up in NYC though, and things sound pretty bad up there.

I lived in Sterling, NY (next to Lake Ontario, Northwest of Syracuse) for about 20 years in a former life. So I am used to heavy lake effect snow. This is nothing compared to that. ;)

19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah, my driveway ranged from 0"-18" the only consistent part was the 2 feet of plow tailings at the end of the driveway, that's the part that made me most glad that we invested in a blower this year.

20. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Blizdogs!

M

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.