Blind spots

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by TG, Jul 13, 2020.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Just sharing because I'm amused by this.

Sometimes you come across something that highlights what you might call a blind spot, or perhaps an aspect of your way of thinking you aren't aware of.
    I'm usually above average when it comes to playing by ear and improvising solos. I'm not great or amazing, I'm just saying that I seem to find that easier than most players I've played with and playing sort of flows. But occasionally I'll come across a rythmn or phrasing that inexplicably stumps me.

In this old surf number (the last one to chart before the Beatles changed everything, incidentally) the middle 8 is very simple, but for some reason I have to really concentrate to play it or I mess up. Some aspect of it confuses my head and my fingers want to do something else.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green TDPRI Member

So, can you hum this part clearly? Is it rhythmically an issue? Because if you have no problem humming the part, then the issue lies somewhere inside your picking technique likely.

With picking, sometimes I quite literally have no idea what my picking hand is doing unless somebody asks me. Sometimes it can be doing odd things but it just works - until it doesn't. Then I find it is usually an upstroke that should be a downstroke or vice versa. This of course is if the issue isn't a rhythmic deafness of some kind. If it is me not hearing it right then repetition and vocalizing the part usually fixes that.

So it depends on what your specific "blind spot" is.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I think I get what you're saying. Just before, well, you know, my bass player has this song that he loves and wants us to learn. I had never heard it before, so I had to look it up to learn. It's not a "bad" song, but I find it is not "intuitive" and sounds "to me" incomplete.....it's like someone was fooling around in the studio, they rolled tape, and just laid it down without really "finishing" the song. Tell me what you think.....

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ah yes, a famous 'B' side. It was their first hit but only here in L.A.
    How are you counting it?
    It's a little tricky but it's definitely not just 'fooling around in the studio' and unfinished. It's very well thought out.
    Try counting it like this ... 1 2 3 1 2 3 1& 2&

Here's a great cover from Marshall Crenshaw ...

hepular and nojazzhere like this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I had not heard Marshall Crenshaw's version.....very faithful to original but "cleaner". IMHO.
    As to counting, I just "play" it......the riff is more a measure of three followed by a measure of five, then repeating.....equaling two measures of four each, then the verse is in straight four. It's not the rhythm that makes it sound "incomplete" to me....it's just it doesn't sound fully "developed". I guess as a 2:50 minute pop song it didn't need much developing. ;)

hepular likes this.
  6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

That's an odd one.....never heard it before. I'd have to listen to that a lot to get it in my head to be able to play it.
    My girlfriend just danced to it so it seems a good choice if you can get the feel.

Counterintuitive might be the right word. In my case above I know how it goes but the concentration needed to play such a simple thing seems harder than it should be. My head and my hands don't find it comfortable and I find myself concentrating like a beginner. Considering the hundreds and hundreds of tricky songs I've played over the decades I'm finding it amusing to be tripping up on something so easy.

klasaine and nojazzhere like this.
  7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's unfamiliar. It's only easy if you grew up in a particular environment.
    The reason I asked the OP "how do you count it" is because it's a Tex-Mex feel thing. The Bobby Fuller 4 were from El Paso. So many band/musicians from that part of the country have a little bit, if not a lot of "south of the border" influence in their music. If you listen to a fair amount of Mariachi, you'll hear that rhythm - two bars of 3 and one bar of 2 - and that is how they feel it.

8. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

yeah, my foot's falling into 3 & 5 (& I heard the crenshaw version first)

(& barely relevant: )

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.