Blew up at lazy coworker today. . . . .

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Aug 8, 2019.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not proud of it.
    In my defense, everything I said was 100% true. He is in fact, "the laziest person I've ever worked with". And I said something about the sleeping on the job part too. . . .
    Tomorrow should be interesting. . . . .

2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Had me worried for a minute. Glad it was only a verbal blow up!

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I worked with one guy who always wanted information but never shared any of his. Usually we'd print stuff out and a copy for everyone ( (6 of us). He never did and we had to work on a project together. We differed in opinions on some aspects. I simply proved that no matter the figures, it was a surveying project, we would still come up with the same conclusion. I proved my point and reminded him that if he shared information with others there would not have been a conflict. He improved a little.
    My point is sometimes it is worth mentioning things to co workers. They may learn from it.

Toto'sDad, Flakey, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Other people are always a disappointment. They just never get it.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Glad I work for myself. Mind you, it's not all a bed of roses. I was late to my office the other day, and had to give myself a warning. You should have seen my face when I told myself where I could stick that warning.

6. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

:lol:!

7. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

I did the same thing the other day,not the BEST way to go but sometimes they need to hear it.....his look of surprise......priceless.....let’s see if it sinks in

Tonetele and BobbyZ like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m grateful that my work requires cooperation, from all parties on the job.
    It’s not always complete cooperation, but playing music with, and for others just won’t happen without it.
    Bandmates often squabble, but I’m a hired gun, I stay out of the hassles, it’s none of my business.
    I’m paid to cooperate, and facilitate the proceedings.
    So far, so good.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  9. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a co-worker like that, except for the sleeping at work bit. He'll go out of his way to avoid work. One time I had to remind him that he's getting paid to be here and that he should earn his money.

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I called out a Government Servant lady for being a lazy-ass who rarely came to work, and when she did, did little to nothing while she was there.
    She claimed 40 to 50 hours per week on her time card, but she was rarely there even 25 hours per week.

The management was complicit in this fraud, in that they allowed her to come and go as she pleased, and approved her time card, all in order to 'avoid grievances and union complaints'.

It took her nearly five months, but (after she learned I had been formally reporting her for the timekeeping fraud), she filed a Sexual Harassment grievance against me.
    Nothing came of it, because her allegations were patently false and clearly retaliatory.
    But it harmed my dignity.

Such a useless and morally-bankrupt woman she was.
    :mad:

11. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

Could have been worse.
    A new guy, co worker was fired yesterday for telling a VERY sexual joke about the CEO’s daughter and an extremely racial joke, KKK related. How this crap is still going on is shocking

Dr Improbable and RyCo1983 like this.
  12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Sparky2 Your post is an example of why we need an angry face option along with the "like" button.

The worst part of this is that I like the guy, outside of work, he's a decent guy. He's a decent guy at work too, he just does as little work as possible without getting fired.
    This isn't a private sector job so "not getting fired" is a pretty low standard! Actually firing a person hasn't happened in years. Mostly due to the amount of red tape it takes to do it and the people that have to do that, would rather not.
    And one has to remember that my background is private sector, with the years prior spent in the oil fields. It didn't take much to get "run off" there.
    Speaking of work, I gotta go!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've been retired for five years now but one thing I observed in nearly 50 years of work is that workers follow the same bell shaped curve as students, athletes, etc. There are high achievers, solid worker bees and folks who hang on. That's true for knowledge, or skill, or effort. It's the human condition unfortunately. That doesn't excuse it. It is what it is.
    It's very frustrating to see others not pulling their weight or having to make up for deficiencies in others. That never changed in all the years that I worked.
    As a manager I tried to coach folks on how to improve. Some required more than coaching. They required frank discussion of what they needed to do to continue employment. There were always those who did just enough to get by.
    On the other hand, at evaluation time, there were those who were very disappointed because they would not be rated as high as they thought they deserved. (Performance evaluations are generally worthless anyway).
    I would also intervene if an employee "blew up" at a coworker just as I would intervene if a manager from another division or department "blew up" at one of my workers.
    Gee, I'm glad I'm retired and not having to deal with all that stuff.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just after the death of my father which happened five years ago, I decided that I had to get out of my house, get away from all the grief and just needed to be distracted.

So when my boss asked me to help out get the apartment of his eldest son sorted out, I was all up for it. His son had graduated high school the previous year but had to wait until there was a spot for him in the Maastricht university. Which meant that he spend that time sitting at home and doing nothing, watching TV all day and given the fact that we had a very busy schedule to work through at the time I was getting more and more irked about that, we're working our butts off and this deadbeat was behaving like a privileged POS around us.

So when the refurbishment of the apartment began, he had his high school buddies help out but the mighty lord himself never put in any effort but was always commenting on out progress and how he saw how several jobs (like rerouting the electrical network) could have been done better.

So one fine day, the kettle boiled over and I turned to him and said "Luke, buddy, you've just won the grand prize!" he looked taken aback and asked me what he had won at which I roared "MY STEEL TOED SHOES UP YOUR @$$ IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP RIGHT NOW!"

I told my boss that I needed some fresh air and he nodded in understanding but as I walked out I heard him say "Well then, now you finally heard from somebody else didn't you?"

Mike SS, brbadg and unfamous like this.
  15. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I think to myself, "how do these sorts of things go on, it's 2019 already!?" Then I realize, well, it's 2019 already.

Dr Improbable, nojazzhere and BobbyZ like this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have a semi coworker that's lazy. I say semi because she's usually on the alternating shift but today she's here. We work in a secure emergency/security area with constant phone calls and alarms. Her job today is to manage/handle the alarms but guess wh'ls doing most of it? Yup.

BobbyZ likes this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

How many of us waste time here on TDPRI while “on the job”? Just saying :oops:, and even admitting to it ;).

18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always worked in an environment that just didn't allow for "lazy". I retired from a job I had for 20 years in one place and the challenges my charges and I faced would force us to work well together. The performance of each of us reflected on all of us. Not every day was a joy to be at work but I when I woke in the morning I was usually pumped about what we were going to accomplish that day. So thankful for co-workers with heart!

19. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I used to blow up at coworkers sometimes, not an admirable trait. It's tough when you are under pressure to make things happen and you are carrying a slacker. Most of them moved on even before I had the authority to fire. Even after I did have the authority to hire and fire I rarely had to fire anyone. I've heard I was a "love him or hate him boss". I wish I could have always kept my cool, now that I'm retired it's smooth sailin.

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I had to fire me last week for spending too much time on the ‘net instead of working, but my wife pleaded my case with the boss and got my job back with a probationary period. She doesn’t want me underfoot all day long, I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.