blend pot wiring problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TG, May 31, 2004.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I tried installing a middle strat pup in my tele. I wired it to the tone pot......changing the tone pot to a separate volume to blend the new pup in. The hot wire from the pup goes to one of the outer terminals and the middle terminal is attached to the output. The idea is to have the usual 3 tele settings and to be able to blend the middle pup in if desired.

It works, but when it's turned right down there is still some sound from the new pickup. It won't turn completely off. I tried connecting the 3rd terminal to ground, as on the diagrams (Brent Mason mod on the S. Duncan site), but that just made it a master volume for all 3 pups.

I have no idea what is hapenning. Can anyone help, or do I have to access the new pup with an on/off switch to turn the bugger right off?

2. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

In case anyone is interested, I've sorted it. I opened up the pot and scraped a bit of carbon off and turned it into a no-load pot. When the pup is off it's really off.
    Incidentally, the mod is a success. I installed the new pup (a cheap Tex Mex strat pup I got on ebay....I carefully leveled out the polepieces too) under the pickguard so it looks like a normal tele. But when I 'roll off the tone' now I'm actually gradually adding the new hidden pickup (I wired it so that when the control is on '10', so to speak, the pup is off). Adding a bit of the new pup gives any of the regular 3 settings a hint of stratty 'quack' with hardly any change in output. And even with it fully on it's not too bad.
    I'll know this weekend how it really works after a few gigs.

3. tdowns

tdowns Former Member

TG,
    Here is how I wire my middle pickups, specifically my Brent Mason guitar. Wire the blend pot to the top of the volume control, not the output jack. This works well for me. This configuration allows for all pickup combinations EXCEPT the middle pickup only (which I have never liked). If you like the middle only, then you better stick with your modified pot.

[​IMG][/url]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.