Blend pot instead of a 3-way pickup selector switch?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Verzila, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Verzila

Verzila Tele-Meister

Has anyone got any experience of (or thoughts on) using a blend pot instead of a 3-way selector switch on a 2-pickup guitar? I like the idea of sweeping through the graduations from neck, through both, to bridge, instead of just switching neck/both/bridge.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I am actually thinking of doing that on a bass at the moment...but with series wiring, not parallel. I don't like pickups in parallel, on any guitar or bass. It's gutless, and seems notch filtered, or something that makes it sounds weird to me. There is a way that you can wire two pickups in series, but with independent volume controls. I was thinking that if there was a stacked dual-pot-on-the-same-shaft blend control, with each pot wired that way, it might be interesting. Across the sweep, you'd move from one pickup full on and the other full off, through various series combinations, and to the other pickup full on and the first pickup full off.

Verzila likes this.
  3. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

I am actually building exactly what you are referring to: with a neck P90 and a JB humbucker at the bridge. Also with a push/pull switch for a coil split on the humbucker. Still researching best pot values/cap values for this setup. Have had a blend pot on a 2 humbucker guitar before and really liked it, so I'm hopeful I can get this dialed in.

Verzila likes this.
  4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

ursa2wire.jpg What I do seems simpler but that's me, I wire like a Jbass, one master tone and seperate volumes for each pup.Then I can dial any combo on the planet lol
    Kinda tough to get simpler than that

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Barncaster and ce24 like this.
  5. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I have a blend pot on one of my guitars instead of a switch. In my experience, you're not really able to hear much of a difference throughout the sweep. What you get is basically 5 positions, your standard neck/middle/bridge plus a little more bridge or a little more neck from the middle position. The "little more" is achieved by turning the blend knob either way just off the center detent of the pot. Having said all that, I like it

6. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

I put a blend pot and humbucker sized P90s on a pawn shop Dearmond M-75. I liked it a lot, but the guitar was not a keeper for me. I ended up selling it like that and made a few $$.

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

With standard Les Paul two volume wiring if you put the switch in the center position and turn one pup all the way down it kills the other one. However there is a fix for that (its on StewMacs web site) that allows each pup to be blended without affecting the other. All of my dual humbucker guitars have this mod and most of the time I leave the switch in the middle position and blend as much of each as I want. I can also pop the switch into either position to get just one pup if thats what I want or I can leave it in the middle and roll off either one.

I think that just having the blend pot would be a hassle - it seems like it would be hard to return to the proper amount of blend after going to one or the other pup. However, since I don't have one and have never played one, that is just speculation.

Bristlehound and a7mark like this.
  8. a7mark

a7mark NEW MEMBER!

Hi Freeman, this Les Paul mod sounds very interesting. Where did you find it on the Stewmac site? Regards Mark

9. Freeman Keller

Barncaster and a7mark like this.
  10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Like Dave noted above, the JB wiring scheme is much better than using a blend pot IMHO.

crazydave911, Barncaster and Zepfan like this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I like using a "spin-a-split" instead of a coil split on a single humbucker, which is different from a blend pot. But the concept is similar-- rather than
    having a choice of full humbucker or straight single coil, you give up an extra tone knob and turn it into a spin-a-split so you can vary from full HB to
    partial split to fullly split. I like this because often fully split sounds too thin, but somewhat split brightens things up just enough.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/guitar-wiring-explored-the-spin-a-split-mod

Another common mod I like on Strats is to make one tone a master tone, which frees up the other tone knob. Then I use that extra tone knob as an alternate
    way to dial on the neck pickup. That way I can get N+B, which sounds very Tele-like to me. I can also get all 3 pickups together but that doesn't sound
    particularly useful to me.

12. a7mark

a7mark NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the link Freeman, my super strat was rewired a couple of years ago with two volumes, one tone and microswitches for single coil / humbucker mode, do you think the wiring method from the third diagram from the stewmac site could work with a setup like the one I have? Regards Mark

13. Freeman Keller

I would have to look at your wiring diagram to be sure but if you are wired with the hot lead from the p/u (whether it is dual coil or split comes to the bottom lug and the the signal to the output comes off the wiper, then yes, I would say it would work. Not sure how your tone circuit is wired but I assume it is after the three way switch (not your microswithes). It is a fairly simple mod to try, shouldn't hurt anything and if you take a picture before you start you can easily get back if for some reason it doesn't work.

I do it on every one of my dual humbucker guitars unless I am trying to be vintage correct and as far as the original question, I almost always have the switch in the middle position.

crazydave911 and a7mark like this.
  14. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I started using "no load" blend pots recently, as a way to achieve 7 way switching on my strats which previously I did with 3 x mini toggle off/on switches instead of a 5-way blade switch. Now I keep the 5-way blade switch and have a no load blend pot to bring in the 3rd pickup (neck or bridge depending on position of 5 way switch selection) and I like the feel being able to do that. It gives me the "blade switch flick" for that kind of wah effect that not having a blade switch takes away from me. Not a big deal, but a useful discovery when I came across the wiring to do this. I still like the 3 x mini toggle approach and it does create more interest from other guitarists because with the no load blend pot approach they don't know the wiring isn't stock because in appearance on the outside, you just have the 3 strat pots and a 5-way blade. Looks stock.

3 x mini toggle

jazzcaster2.jpg

No-load blend pot (the amber knob)

cancercaster.jpg

15. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

Switch tip fell off and kinda of wore out the 3 way on my mex tele so I took it out yesterday. Eliminated the tone cap and wired the knob as a blend, I like it. The only problem is keeping the quarters out of the empty slot :)

Now I want to customize the plate

coin op.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.