Blend control for two piezo pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by JohnnyCrash, Feb 16, 2020.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Before I ask for help, let me describe what I’m trying to do...

I have a Fishman M-100 pickup on my mandolin. Its piezo element is under the saddle.

I want to use the M-100 saddle element with the M-300 bridge element (the element is in the base, making it pickup more of the top/body).

I want to route each into a blend control to blend the brighter string tone of the M-100 with the warmer body/top tone of the M-300.

The Fishman Power Chip seems to work with regular guitar pickups on the one hand and a piezo on the other. Is there a solution for two piezos?

2. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

Off the shelf, you need two of their preamps. That will get you separate buffered channels. Feed those into two input channels of a small mixing board. You can do the blend there.

3. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Your solution got me searching for the appropriate gear...

I stumbled upon at least one all-in-one unit for anyone else in this type of predicament (two passive piezos needing to be blended)...

Radial’s JDV mk5.

Both inputs can be adjusted for passive piezo, magnetic pickups, or a mic with phantom power.

It’s a bit pricey for me — I don’t gig regularly with a mandolin — so $500 is a bit steep.

If I were in an Irish band or a folk unit or something, this would be awesome, though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.