1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blackvibe 6V6 layout - grounding thoughts

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by BigDaddy23, Sep 13, 2020.

1. andrewRneumann

andrewRneumann Tele-Holic

@Tom Kamphuys , what minimum turret spacing did you use on that? Nice and compact. I like the insulated ground bus wire. A bare wire can be used on any segment of the "daisy chain" if you have some leads coming in from pots, etc. with no space on a turret/eyelet. I found the star where every ground connects at a single turret can easily become space constrained. In this case, I would just solder up on the bare ground wire as close to the turret as feasible on either side. An example of this would be the P.I. star where you might have a couple tone control grounds, volume control ground, speaker ground, in addition to tube cathode ground. That's going to be hard to fit on a single turret. I try not to get too concerned if my scheme turns out to be more like Fig 15.10b instead of Fig. 15.12. in
    http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf

2. Tom Kamphuys

Tom Kamphuys Tele-Holic

Minimum turret spacing: I think it is 3/8". All spacings are an integer multiple of that, except for the filter caps: 1.5x. (except where that didn't fit. Don't tell anyone).

It might also look compact because the components are large. I used 2W metal film resistors (for low noise and why not). On the other hand, the coupling caps are the 716p type, because they are a bit flatter iso the cylindrical 715p. Otherwise it would not have fitted I'm afraid.

Insulated ground wire is because I didn't have bare wire.

I soldered a wire loop in the underside of the turret. Lots of room for wires then. Serviceability might be a reason not to do that. But I like the clean look.

andrewRneumann likes this.
  3. andrewRneumann

andrewRneumann Tele-Holic

It DOES look really clean. I did one amp with under the board joints and got so paranoid about them going bad that I decided to keep every joint accessible in the next build. Maybe the solution is to have an access hatch from the top of the chassis?

4. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

Do you blokes think it’s ok to use two separate power tube cathode wires to the bus? I’m thinking about putting precision 1ohm resistors on the end of each where they connect to the bus (for easy bias measurement). The alternative is to pop in 2 more eyelets near the negative of the filter cap and land the K wires and resistors from there. I’m leaning towards the former option to reduce connections/joints. They’re small resistors.

5. EmWeAh

EmWeAh Tele-Meister

Imho, you're fine with doing that. Doug Hoffman does this as well with his layouts.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

Genau! I built a Princeton Reverb to a Hoffmann layout last year which is what gave me the idea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.