1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blacktop Telecaster values on eBay

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 66Satellite, Apr 21, 2020.

1. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

All the ones on eBay are listed for $900 to $1000. Are these sellers smoking glue or is this what people are paying for these now? I have a nice one I got for $300 on CL a few years ago. Has this thing tripled in value? I think it retailed for $450 when it came out and had junk electronics. I swapped out the wiring and pots for Fender USA stuff and put the control plate back to normal Tele configuration. The neck is awesome I must say. But still. Especially now with the Player HH available.

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

There is one on Reverb that is in “good” condition for $600.

3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Wow, crazy prices.

I got 2 BT Strats a while back here in Oz, and even here I only paid $250USD for one and $300USD for the other.
    Stuff here is usually way more expensive than the US - even second hand.

4. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Guitars that sold new for $400-500 a few years back are close to today’s new prices. I just got an FSR Blacktop on eBay but had to pay $700. It looks pretty much unplayed. I could get a new Player HH for that (or less), but I wanted a transparent finish on ash and a rosewood neck. Gotta pay MIA prices for that now and an equivalent of this new would be $1500.

I am sad to hear that these came with junk pickups and controls.

5. whitebread

whitebread Tele-Meister

I played a couple of these in the stores back when they were new for like $499. The ones I saw first-hand had heavy bodies, skinny necks, sharp fret ends, and crap electronics. Blows my mind that people are seeking them out and paying that much.

6. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

economics change

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Yes...$450-499 brand new at the time. The main attraction for me was the belly cut on the back...not enough to make me consider buying one though. Selling prices are really overpriced now, which is why you will see many NOT selling if you track the Ebay and Reverb sales.

8. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Yeah, I was looking for a used Blacktop neck with rosewood for another Tele that I have, I was shocked to see what the used prices are today. I bought one when they first came out ($450 I think). Really didn't like the sound (muddy)being stock but I fell in love with the neck. And since I usually upgrade my guitars anyway and had a set of alnico II's and a Switchcraft toggle that didn't have a home I picked one up.

To this day it is the one (of 14) that I play the most. Sweet tone, not to heavy and a neck that pretty much plays it's self.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.