Blacktop Telecaster ground issue help

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hector945, May 29, 2011.

1. gatc

gatc Tele-Meister

Hi Omstrat

if you do not want to drill, you could use a strip of conductive tape from the pickup cavity to under the bridge. Only if you do not mind the change in appearance.

2. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Found this thread after I grounded the bridge via drilling a hole and fishing a wire to one of the bridge screws. Took care of the lack of bridge ground and an annoying hummmmmmm...

Real lack of design, such a shame to have to do this kinda mod!

3. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Teles I've worked on that have the cavities painted with conductive shielding paint, get grounded to the hole in the base of the control cavity. A few of my Teles are grounded that way. If you need a grounding lug, angela.com sells them. You simply solder it to your grounding wire and screw it to the black shielding paint in the control cavity. At least that's what more Fenders and Squiers are using these days. When I ground to the bridge, I'll sometimes also use a grounding lug between the surgical tubing and the bottom of the bridge. I've seen both approaches used and have used both on various guitars with good results. Some designs simply use a stripped wire under the bridgeplate and often there's a rout in that area for that purpose.

4. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Here are a couple of photos that might be helpful.

GROUNDING-TELES.jpg

5. osoto86

osoto86 TDPRI Member

hey i have a blacktop tele and it also has the humming/ground problem. the only difference is that it seems to come and go Depending on how im holding it. i also noticed that when i turn the tone knob to o the humming seems to go away and when it goes to any other number it would start the humm. i've opened up the control panel and i can't seem to find any bad solders. i was reading about drilling a hole to ground the bridge and i was wondering if this would apply to my tele since it seems i have some kind of loose connection. also, when i first got the guitar it wasn't making any noise.

if anyone has and tips i would greatly appreciate them.

thank you!

6. sfusiondj

sfusiondj TDPRI Member

Glad to see so many people had the balls to drill their teles with success... I believe I was one of the very first to do so, since I searched far and wide at the time and heard of no one else doing this. Yes, I'm a pioneer of my generation. Kidding.

Seriously though, the trickiest factor was that it had to be drilled at an angle. Also people, do yourselves a favour and get propper cts pots, the stock ones on the blacktop suck. My sound improved dramatically.

Anyways, the hum won't just magically disappear when u wire the bridge to the volume pot. Didn't for me anyway. It only truly goes away when u touch the strings, which ground the bridge, and by implication the rest of the electronics. I guess this kinda puts one in the line of fire should there be a malfunction of some kind. My 82 peavy special is getting older every day, here's hoping it doesn't send 240v my way.

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I have a 2011 blacktop body and it does have the bridge ground wire hole in it.

Attached Files:

8. gatc

gatc Tele-Meister

Hi glen
    Did you buy the guitar new, or just the body? Are you sure this hole was not drilled by someone else?

9. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I bought that body as is from "Pickers Parts" on ebay and the hole was already there.

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Small correction, I got the body from "the stratosphere" rather than Pickers Parts.

11. MachTele

MachTele TDPRI Member

Before I go drilling holes... I just want to make certain I have a clear understanding. I need to run a wire from the bottom of the bridge to the back of the volume pot. Got that. Do I need to just have the wire touching (pressing against) the bridge, or do I anchor it to one of the screws underneath?

12. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have about 1/4 inch of wire bare fanned out and clamp the bridge plate down on it.

Another way is to put a eye terminal on a wire and put that on your pickup mount screw above the tubing or spring whatever holds the pickup. Just so it contacts the bridge plate tight.

I notice PJ has a pic of that in his post above. Only thing is the eyelet would have to be ABOVE the red rubber tubing there so it contacts the underneath of the bridge plate when the pup is mounted.

With that method, they usually use the pickup "ground" coil wire lead (black wire) so kill two birds with one stone, id est, the connection to the back of a pot (ground point).

13. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Glad more folks are finding out about the lack of a bridge ground and fixing them. These are really nice guitars if they're set up right, I find it hard to believe that Fender missed it and has yet to correct it...

If anyone has a later version Blacktop Tele that does have the bridge ground please post it!

On a side note, I replace the stock pups with low output alnico II's and just love the sound...

alderre likes this.
  14. MachTele

MachTele TDPRI Member

sjtalon,

Thanks!! Sorry to be over simplifying everything. Being "handy" is not my strong point.

In order to connect to the pickup, I would then drill a shorter hole from under the bridge to get to the bridge pickup. Then, I could fan out one end of the wire and place that under the bridge. Attach an eyelet to the other end and attach that to the screw (with spring) that attaches the pickup to the pick guard. The eyelet would rest between the spring and the bottom of the pickup itself. Is this correct?

I can't thank you enough for walking me through this!!!

15. MachTele

MachTele TDPRI Member

SpeyFly,

I am completely overhauling my Blacktop. Already installed Seymour Duncans and made a few other mods (new nut, new bridge, etc.). I have been documenting every step and have already started a blog laying everything out. Once completed, I will provide a link here.

16. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Awesome, can't wait to take a peek...

Here's mine now.
    [​IMG]

17. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

Here's mine, bought it in December. It has a bridge ground. Changed all the electronics, bridge saddles, got rid of the god-awful looking amp knobs and put in a set of SD SH-1's. It's a real player now. I was looking for a dual humbucker guitar but didn't want to go over to the darkside and this baby is exactly what I was after.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SpeyFly

SpeyFly Tele-Meister

Excellent [​IMG]

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

That's sweet Yellowbeard!

20. captcoolaid

captcoolaid TDPRI Member

I had the same issue but fixed it with a redundant bus wire ground from pot to pot. I know it sounds silly but i only get minor hum in high gain settings, and that is with the single coil neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.