Blacktop tele....very impressed...HH tele really a tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jimmyohio75, Oct 7, 2010.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 TDPRI Member

Today I played a Fender Blacktop Telecaster. I was really impressed. The neck was perfect. The fit and finish was better than anything I've seen come out of Mexico ever. I am a huge humbucker guy. I like the thick, fat tone they provide. Someone on another forum told me that a telecaster with 2 humbuckers is NOT a true telecaster. Do y'all feel the same way? :confused:

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

If it says Telecaster on the headstock and its made by Fender its a Tele.

3. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like the HH is the perfect Tele for you, don't let some cork sniffer diminish your experience.

4. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Whoever heard of a Telecaster with humbuckers? Ridiculous!

[​IMG]

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, +1!

Attached Files:

6. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

Can you paddle a canoe with it? If the answer is yes then you may just have a Tele.

7. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Yep. My Custom II has P90s, and it's a Telecaster. Personally, I like the feel of a Tele neck and body. If the sound that comes out isn't the "traditional single coil Tele sound" that's my business. Sometimes I want a "Telecaster" sound and sometimes I don't.

8. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Gold Supporter

+1

I have a mini-humbucker neck pup which gives me the sound I want. And I wouldn't want to have it in anything but a tele.

9. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 TDPRI Member

Agreed, I love the way telecasters play but I need more grind than a single coil can provide!!

10. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

me too, surprisingly i like the tele body over the contoured strat body, which was why i looked at the strat after i played a les paul. to me, the only remaining advantage of the strat now over the tele is the double cutaway, but i dont have problems reaching the high notes now even on a tele. i love the humbucker sound too so i have one tele which has two hummers. but when i need the single coil sound, my backup tele is just beside my amp.

twangggg on

ldr

11. whoisalhedges

whoisalhedges Tele-Meister

If I only had one Tele (I currently do, my CV50 which just *might* be a better guitar than my former Korean standard -- though I still need to get a little more used to the glossy neck), it'd be the standard S/S or the Esquire I'm planning on making it into.

But for further Teles? Sure. I love the way they play. Can't stand playing Gibby solidbodies (though I like the archtops and acoustics). If I want more humbuckers than the bridge pup in my 51, I'd have no problem putting it in a Tele.

The Telecaster neck is, to me, the ideal neck. I prefer a 9.5 radius, but the wife's thinline with the 7.25 is eminently playable as well. Something else? Sure, why not, I'll try. I like the slim 51 and CV50 necks, but don't mind a little chunkier from time to time as well. As long as it's a Telecaster neck, I'll play it.

So... um... yeah. No problem with a 'bucker in a Tele. No problem with anything in a Tele.

12. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I played one at GC unplugged yesterday. You are right, the neck was really really nice. Better than any MIM I've ever played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.