1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blacktop tele....very impressed...HH tele really a tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jimmyohio75, Oct 7, 2010.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 TDPRI Member

Today I played a Fender Blacktop Telecaster. I was really impressed. The neck was perfect. The fit and finish was better than anything I've seen come out of Mexico ever. I am a huge humbucker guy. I like the thick, fat tone they provide. Someone on another forum told me that a telecaster with 2 humbuckers is NOT a true telecaster. Do y'all feel the same way? :confused:

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

If it says Telecaster on the headstock and its made by Fender its a Tele.

3. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like the HH is the perfect Tele for you, don't let some cork sniffer diminish your experience.

4. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Whoever heard of a Telecaster with humbuckers? Ridiculous!

[​IMG]

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, +1!

Attached Files:

6. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

Can you paddle a canoe with it? If the answer is yes then you may just have a Tele.

7. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Yep. My Custom II has P90s, and it's a Telecaster. Personally, I like the feel of a Tele neck and body. If the sound that comes out isn't the "traditional single coil Tele sound" that's my business. Sometimes I want a "Telecaster" sound and sometimes I don't.

8. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Gold Supporter

+1

I have a mini-humbucker neck pup which gives me the sound I want. And I wouldn't want to have it in anything but a tele.

9. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 TDPRI Member

Agreed, I love the way telecasters play but I need more grind than a single coil can provide!!

10. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

me too, surprisingly i like the tele body over the contoured strat body, which was why i looked at the strat after i played a les paul. to me, the only remaining advantage of the strat now over the tele is the double cutaway, but i dont have problems reaching the high notes now even on a tele. i love the humbucker sound too so i have one tele which has two hummers. but when i need the single coil sound, my backup tele is just beside my amp.

twangggg on

ldr

11. whoisalhedges

whoisalhedges Tele-Meister

If I only had one Tele (I currently do, my CV50 which just *might* be a better guitar than my former Korean standard -- though I still need to get a little more used to the glossy neck), it'd be the standard S/S or the Esquire I'm planning on making it into.

But for further Teles? Sure. I love the way they play. Can't stand playing Gibby solidbodies (though I like the archtops and acoustics). If I want more humbuckers than the bridge pup in my 51, I'd have no problem putting it in a Tele.

The Telecaster neck is, to me, the ideal neck. I prefer a 9.5 radius, but the wife's thinline with the 7.25 is eminently playable as well. Something else? Sure, why not, I'll try. I like the slim 51 and CV50 necks, but don't mind a little chunkier from time to time as well. As long as it's a Telecaster neck, I'll play it.

So... um... yeah. No problem with a 'bucker in a Tele. No problem with anything in a Tele.

12. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I played one at GC unplugged yesterday. You are right, the neck was really really nice. Better than any MIM I've ever played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.