1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blacktop Tele design change

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Danomo, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

I've had a BT Tele for a while now, one of the first things I changed was the bent steel saddles (a common complaint). I noticed today that ALL the current models (including the original) now have block steel saddles. I am happy to see it.

Attached Files:

2. rapaul76

rapaul76 TDPRI Member

But....do they into intonate better? Wasn't that a problem with the early ones? I hear the Hipshot bridge makes a huge improvement with intonation and sustain.

3. skraprm

skraprm Tele-Meister

We need a good pictures and measurements of the new block saddles.

Mojotone has (or had, I haven't looked lately) 10.5x20mm block saddles if you all with stamped saddles wish to convert for about 1/6 the price of the Hipshot bridge.

4. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

As I experienced it, the bent steel original saddles suffered from two problems: they were thinner/cheaper than the ones on the BT Strat's (I have one of each), they were bent poorly and had multiple high spots at the top of the saddle, causing small adjustments of relief or action to make intonation seem to "jump" terribly (the problem was actually the "new" saddle contact point). A new set of either 10.5 or 10.8 mm saddles of almost any kind fixes you right up.
    This bridge is very almost identical to the one on the '51... Well... the plate at least. I have a squier bullet Tele HS, which has almost the same bridge as the new BT, but in Black. No need to splurge on a hipshot.

5. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I put a set of Graph Tech saddles on my BT, and they did the job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.