1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blacktop owners any problems when you aquired?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DRFP, May 1, 2014.

1. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Just bought one going to GC to pick up today but read of problems on reviews any problems you know of and advice?

2. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

Just replace the junky pots and switch and you'll be good to go.

3. rapaul76

rapaul76 TDPRI Member

Agree with the post above. The only other thing that I've heard about is sometimes (older models) the bridge would not intonate properly. The fix was to get a Hipshot hard tail .125" bridge. This fixed the intonation issue and added more sustain. Oh, and you may want to lower the neck pickup a little if it's muddy.

4. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Thanks, I'm pretty excited I used GC online, spoke with CT shop and bought it send to Memphis shop for instore pickup ( And they can setup :) )

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't count on GC doing any kind of decent setup.

6. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

A new Fender is a great day in a player's life!

In the old days, in the pre-collector era, a new Fender might get an intial set-up that took about four hours. I watched this as a kid. The guitar would be completely disassembled and every piece tweaked a little. Even older guitars, when acquired by a pro player would receive personal touches. I remember seeing a NOS blackgaurd being utterly attacked with sandpaper and hand tools in about 1972. This is how some guitars became "good ones".

7. wwit

wwit Tele-Holic

DINGDINGDING!!! We have a winner :lol:

"tru dat"

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do yourself a huge favor and take it to someone that knows what their doing. Either way your going to pay @ $100-ish for a set up. Might as well get it right the first time. ;)

8. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Set up is free at GC? Last Guitar I bought was. I'll do my own later probably.

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Sure it's free! Because they don't do any improvements to the factory settings!

I got a Blacktop Tele last year, and I replaced the pots, knobs, capacitor, and pickups. And once I got it set up the way I like it, it turned out to be a great player.

10. Bagger

Bagger Tele-Meister

The electronics are junk at least when they first came out. I changed them out, changed the pickups and had a pro set it up for me. Now it is easily as good as any of my american made fenders. The neck is fantastic!

11. dak0ta

dak0ta TDPRI Member

Sharp fret ends, crooked neck plates and jack plates are things to look out for.

12. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

It's always better ask these kind of questions, and to handle it if possible, BEFORE buying it. With MF/GC, and at this price-point, I doubt you would get a much better price whether buying it in-store or on-line

13. premier1

premier1 TDPRI Member

I owned a Strat didn't like it. I'm just not a strat guy. I now own a Tele in Candy Apple Red. After setting it up I have no complaints. I didn't change a thing other than strings of course play it for 100 shows a year same as out of the box and couldn't be happier.

14. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

Mine has a Slightly mis positioned bridge..It will Intonate but the Lower e string is at the very limit of its backward movement..Right against the back of the bridge with the saddle spring really squished..??

15. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Again. I will only trust my guitar setups with my guitar tech at Guitar Center. He is amazing. Last 5 or 6 guitars I have had have gone straight to him. I can't say enough good things about him and his work. I never get any fret buzz, low action and if I have any issue (because I'm picky) he fixes it on the spot.

It's not about the place it's about the person. Talk to the guy who would be doing the setup to see if he knows his stuff. I've been to a few guitar shops and a few luthiers with only 2 good experiences. My GC and a place called Music Place.

16. DRFP

DRFP Tele-Holic

Thanks, I picked up mine and it was about 95% new with out major or really any minor flaws. It came with a like new Fender deluxe hard case as well

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1399092307.082036.jpg

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad you got one that's working well for you.

The model is maybe considered the MIM line most likely to need attention as it comes from the factory in Ensenada. By that I think it applies to all Blacktops (all 4 types) although I kinda like the Strat version. I'd kinda prefer the control plates to be put together in Mexico, as opposed to being brought in as subassemblies from overseas.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.