Blacktop Jazzmaster NGD.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Sep 29, 2010.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It's here.....my budget Jazzmaster.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. studio1087

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maiden Voyage...

[​IMG]

I've wanted a Jazzmaster for about 10 years. My Squier Jagmaster was supposed to be fitted with P-90's at some point to create a budget Jazzmaster and it never worked out.

I sold two guitars to buy this and a used Taylor for acoustic gigging.

I'm pretty excited about the Jazzmaster.

The neck is really nice. The woodgrain and fit and finish and fret dressing is PRS SE quality. Sorry if the PRS comparison is bothersome but the neck on the Mexi Blacktop is really nice. I have four Mexi guitars....a 72 Tele Custom Mexi, a Nashville Tele Mexi, a 60th Anniversary Strat Mexi and the Jazzmaster. The neck on the Jazzmaster may have the nicest frets. The QC is great.

It stays in tune. It plays in tune with itself and it shipped with D'Addario strings (my favorite) and I was playing a bunch of plucky fingerstyle stuff and then I played a lot of old school jazz and worked the tremolo bar a lot. I can't knock it out of tune. I am new to this tremolo style. I like the fact that I can pull notes sharp just as much as push flat and it just stays in tune. Delightfully functional.

The pickups are "Duncan Designed"....the humbucker is very organic and meaty and the P-90 (or whatever you call it on a Jazzmaster) is plucky as all get-out. Together it's fat and full and plucky. They really compliment each other.

It's neat. It's really neat.

I turned the Class 5 up to 12 and got some natural tube drive and it sounded great. I mainly played clean and enjoyed the plucky color. I'll knock my head off with it tomorrow when I get home from work earlier. (Long day today).

If you don't know these are $449 everywhere. It's a lot of personality for $449. I used the 15% coupon at the GC sale last weekend and paid $383.

If anyone is looking for a freaky-cool old school rock guitar or clean guitar this thing is an amazing value.

I think Fender came up with a cool design on this thing. It's a keeper.

:cool:

3. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

I'm looking hard at the Blacktop Jag. 24" kills me, I wish it were 25 at least, but I want the stopbar. Glad to hear that the HB is good on this one--it's probably the same pup on the Jag. Looking forward to updates / sound clips tomorrow!

4. studio1087

A note regarding the scale.....I had to play the Squier Jagmaster very carefully to keep it in tune. I can spank the bejeebers out of the Blacktop and it stays in tune. I don't know if it's the tremolo system but it's nice.

5. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Gorgeous - I was admiring the Black Top series on Fender's site earlier today and they looked pretty good there - but your pics do the Jazzmaster more justice!

Damn, I wish I hadn't had to sell my Jazzmaster..

6. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Nice guit! What is that neck pickup?

7. studio1087

P-90

8. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

ohh, ok. Looks oddly disproportionate.

9. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Meister

John - I've enjoyed your posts over at the AG Forums for a while.

Beautiful Jazzmaster. Between this & those posts at AG about Strats (with all those foxy black pickups & nobs) I'm jonesing for a blackout Fender.

Thanks for the G.A.S......:D

-c. winn

10. 68 Shovelhead

68 Shovelhead Tele-Afflicted

That's very cool, not sure I dig the humbucker, but for $383 I could abide. What's the verdict on the Marshall 5? I just saw one in person but didn't have time to play it. Much sexier in person that the pics suggested.

11. trousertele

trousertele Tele-Holic

Mine is due tomorrow from Music123 (they pricematched 15% with GC plus no tax) but I went with the black. Reminded me of a Creston and less trad than the sunburst. Though yours looks very nice as well. Been thinking about a Class 5 too, go figure.

12. Funkybot

Funkybot Tele-Meister

Just to clear up a very common misconception: that's actually not a P90...it's a jazzmaster pickup. Jazzmaster pickups are commonly confused for P90's but they're different. Different dimensions...different construction, design, etc. They don't even sound alike except for both being noisy.

13. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'm waiting for my Black Top CAR Rosewood fretboard Tele to show up!!!

It looks like the neck on your JM is a nice amber tint. I'm hoping the Tele is as well but from the stock photos sure looks like they aren't.

14. ThreePlyGuy

ThreePlyGuy Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info Studio, nice looking guitar and photos.

15. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

It sure looks nice!

I've been trying to find one to play; so far, no one around here has one.

16. jonzer

jonzer Friend of Leo's

Our Guitar Center has them. Not the Jazz or the Jags, but the teles and strats. I walked in a friend handed me a strat and said "check these out, just came in". I had just read about them. I was holding the strat thinking "my friend doesn't know me that well" and picked up the tele.
    The silver tele with the black pickguard and rosewood fretboard is super sexy. I didn't have time to plug it in but I'm intrigued.

I do fancy the idea of the jazz and jag...but I know I'm a tele guy. I've been wanting a telecaster with humbuckers and not the 70's headstock, or the semi hollow...and this thing looks like it fits the build. The only thing that really bugs me, not the Made In Mexico status, but the contour on the back. Personally, I just think the telecaster should be that uncomfortable plank of wood (which to me is the most comfortable guitar in the world to play).

Congrats on your Jazzmaster. Play the Hell out of it. It's beautiful and your photos are awesome.

17. studio1087

How many P-90 guitars do you own? I don't have noise trouble with mine (beyond the noise that any Strat or Tele would make).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  18. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

The biggest difference between JM pickups and P90's lies in the magnets. The magnetic polepieces give the JM pickup a more focused sound.

19. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly - except for looking slightly similar, P90 and JM-PUs have nothing in common - P90s use bar magnets and pole screws, and taller coils; JM-pickups use magnetic slugs as polepieces, and while the coils are just as wide, they are much thinner (except for JM-Pickups in Japanese Jazzmasters, which are pretty much nothing but Strat single coils in JM plastic caps).
    P90s sound much fatter, with more midrange, JM pickups are much snappier. A P90 sounds more like a humbucker with extra openness and bite, a JM-pickup more like a very fat Strat single coil.

20. studio1087

Thanks Funkybot, Fezz and Roman......

The thing that makes me compare the P90 and the Jazzmaster pickup is the plucky quality. Like a single coils with more pluck.

I play clean 75% of the time and the plucky quality is what I love therefore I compare the P-90 and Jazzmaster pickup closely in sound.

The thing That I dig (and I could be goofy) in the two pickups is the same quality.

Thanks though....you saved me from walking around and talking like an goof.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.