Blackstone mosfet circuit board revision

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by winny pooh, Feb 10, 2011.

1. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Hi, I have recently become a fan of this sweet pedal and bought a newer version on behalf of a friend recently. When swapping the baseplate (he wants mine with the velcro on already), I noticed the boards.

Both are the same circuit and model number yet the boards are laid out a bit differently. To a hack like the me the first reason could be the different footswitches now used. But would anyone go to such lengths to create new boards for a switch change or could you see other reasons why?

[​IMG]

2. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

I'm no expert, but I've heard 11 Gauge say in other threads that the pcb's are all created automatically in software. So the designer could have easily plugged in the new value of the footswitch and the software "did the rest" to make sure everything fit in the same amount of space. I don't think it would have taken more than a few minutes with a program to achieve this, then the designer would just send the template to the manufacturer to print new PCB's.

So that "could" explain the difference without any additional circuit changes. But you never know...they may have tinkered with something else too.

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

That's a good guess, but I don't think so. If the new one is the one on the left, the switches are bigger and would require other traces and parts to be moved. Autorouting is fast, but usually routes in diagonal and orthagonal patterns, adding vias where necessary. The traces use an 'any angle' feature by the looks of it, almost free-hand in places.
    For a circuit that small, it could be rerouted easily by hand. Autorouting is also an expensive option for a one horse shop with one product to lay out for.
    I'd guess the designer is so familiar with it, he could do it rather quickly in his sleep.
    As for changes - disassemble it and see if the parts are different, or merely re-arranged.

4. Impulse

Impulse Tele-Meister

Nice pics, could you please make photos of the other side of the boards too? So we could trace and clone them. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.