1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blackstar ID Series Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Scotland, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Scotland

Scotland Poster Extraordinaire

Did you use the ISF control ?

2. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

Yeah I did. Set it to where it sounded good, and then started playing. Kind of a shame to use ISF to kill the resonance and wind up killing your sound too

I should mention that I'm playing clean and with a tele. Tone controls skewed away from high, to help tone down the bridge pickup.

3. ironsausage58

ironsausage58 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've had my 260 for six months now and couldn't be happier. I jettisoned my Mustang IV a couple of weeks ago 'cause it was just collecting dust with the Blackstar in the house.

4. Doobster6

Doobster6 NEW MEMBER!

Blackstar id 60tvr owner weighing in

Got it two weeks ago. Love it. I was an early adopter of modeling back in '96 when Line 6 introduced their AxSys. In the eighteen years since then CPU power has gone up by orders of magnitude allowing incredible fidelity. The original Axsys was like an old grainy black and white TV compared to the Blackstar ID which is like 1080p HD color! In other words, modeling has caught up and the authenticity is there. You could hide this thing in a classic combo cabinet and even some diehard tube snobs would smile approvingly.
    That said, the ID approach differs from everybody else's modeling amps. You don't pick a pre-constructed manufacturer's classic you build your own. Choose a 'voice', then a power section, adjust the ISF between 'American' and 'British' and of course the gain structure. I've got awesome clean tones for country already sussed out on one end and thick chewy supercrunch tones on the other. And all respond to picking and finger dynamics like they should. It's easily loud enough for gigging but can also drop down to conversational practice levels while retaining its full bodied tone. Try that with a classic tube combo!
    My model has a middle control and also 'resonance' and 'presence' controls that the smaller models don't. I read a comment here about a 'booming' on low notes that I don't hear that on the 60 watt, although the resonance control would probably squelch it anyway. Maybe that's worth the extra money? Oh, and I DO use the effects loop option. Yeah, this amp has rear panel input and output that can be reconfigured using the Insider software as an effects loop, so don't think it doesn't have that just because you can't find it marked as such on the back panel.
    I spent the last two years trying out everything in sight to find the best non-tube 'tube tone' I could find. I love the sound of tubes but not their unreliability. I actually had a Blackstar HT-5r all tube amp that I exchanged for this and even though that was a great little amp I have zero regrets. It's that good. Now that there's this, there will soon be imitators. But for now Blackstar have redefined modeling, and no one else's modeling efforts compare. Well no doubt Fractal systems but who can afford that? Blackstar ID is the new 'it' amp. I.m done searching...now I be playin'! :p

5. Scotland

Great review. Its been a year since I started this thread and still feel exactly the same, i love this amp completely. The tuner issue has been fixed with the new version of insider which has also fixed the boomy effects in the 15 and 30 versions by adding resonance and presence controls . Perfection indeed !

6. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I got the ID15 a few weeks ago. Before I had several amps and boards for home practice (Fender Mustang, VOX, Roland etc) but the ID is by far the best. It gots fantastic clean tones and even better dirt ones. The Marshall sound is in this little beast, I love it. My preferred power tube for dirt tones is the KT66 so I´m remembering why I loved my former JTM. Great little practice amp and loud as valve, that´s true. Never heard a 15 watts solidstate amp with this power before.

7. jetset95

jetset95 TDPRI Member

New ID:30 TPV

I just got my new ID:30 this weekend. I played in a band and did a few live shows around the church halls and schools / music colleges in the Manchester region when I was a kid in school. After that guitar was just a hobby for me and I kept an acoustic and my old Aria Pro Strat copy and slowly over the years let my skill levels drop. That was 20 years ago. Now I have kids who want to play (piano and guitar) and it's really encouraged me to get serious about playing / practicing again. Cue the new (long lusted after) Les Paul and Black Paisley Tele.

My old Micro Cube modelling amp was sounding very poorly for a while and so I've been researching possible replacements for a while. I was really drawn by the idea of a "real" tube amp small enough to live in the office but with that lovely warm / dirty clean sound and the Blackstar HT-1 and -5 really did that well. I don't know why but AC4's didn't sound right when I played them (my fault more than the amp I'm sure) and I didn't want to splash £300 on a Fender Ramparte without even any reverb (or £350 on a Vaporizer with it) when I wasn't sure I could do justice to them. The Blackstar's just worked.

I went to demo a few with my tele and LP in tow on Friday when the local store had a new delivery of Blackstars, HT-1's, -5's (and ID's). They didn't have the HT-5R, just the metal version which pushed the boat out towards £400 again - not a massive amount for an amp I know but I'm not talking about dragging it around the clubs any more. That was when he suggested trying the ID. We plugged the tele in the ID:15, and grabbed one off the wall and ran it through the HT-1R into a 2X12 Marshall Cab. The tube combo sounded great, but without the gain fully engaged you couldn't get a great clean, or slightly pushed clean sound which I really liked which wasn't too quiet and muted.

For the same price we played around with the ID:15 and in about 5 mins had near as damn it the exact same tone - even responding to the tele's volume and pick attack. I never knew a modelling amp could respond like that - based on my limited experience of the Micro Cube that is. Wow. The 15 was great, but the 30 just sounded amazing. Lovely warm clean tone, country twang on the tele, long smooth sustain on the LP, but what I really wanted was that boosted clean sound - just pushing the tubes a bit but not breaking up and not driven, and the ID can do it perfectly. Here's what I found after an hour or so playing with it and convinced me to bring it home:

One notch up on the channel to Clean Bright; Gain and Channel Volume round to 3 o'clock; Bass and Treble to 12 o'clock, ISF this side of the pond (UK - 3-4 o'clock). I think I've settled on the EL34 tube setting (after I got it home I found the notes on the TPV; "EL34 - Classic British crunch with full bodied soft break up" :D) with a touch of reverb. It works for me, and that's what getting an amp is all about right?

The effects are just light years away from my old Cube. The reverb fills the (admittedly small) room. The chorus doesn't feel fake. Tappable delay so you can get it just right. For an amateur player like me it's like having a pedal board right there.

I'm sure the Fender Mustangs sound great, as do the Marshall transistors, and maybe the Blackstar "True Valve Power" is a bit of a gimmick, but the sound is good. Really good. The 30 will cut through a mix just fine (it had to in the guitar shop as some guy had his SG and Marshall stack cranked up to 11) but you can keep all that driven - sorry - "full bodied soft break up" going with the master volume all the way down at 8 o'clock without waking up the kids upstairs. Try one out, you might like it. I did.

8. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

That was a great review. When I bought my MIII I had narrowed it down between it and an ID:60. Alas the MIII was available an the ID:60 would have had to have been ordered with no estimated delivery date. I went with what I could get my hands on. When I get my music room back I definitely see an ID:60 filling some floor space. And yes the Mustangs do sound great :D

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

9. Scotland

Review

Fantastic review and glad another one has found the Holy Amp Grail. I still love my ID 260 TVP way more than all my Boogies, Fenders and Marshalls I have owned over the years and my back loves it too.

10. jetset95

jetset95 TDPRI Member

TVP a gimmick? No way!!!

Did I suggest that in my previous post? Wow. At a recent work charity event we held a "Britain's Got Talent" show. A hastily put together "band" of myself with the ID:30, Les Paul and Tele in tow; a colleague who plays bass with his 300W head and 2x12 combo, and two (beautiful - but I digress) singers.

The event was held outside on a lovely sunny day, in an internal courtyard which must be at least a mile square and open to the elements so sound was just going to fly away. Add in the hundred or so crowd who were chatting, eating lunch etc. it was a challenge for my little ID:30 to perform (let alone me!).

We played a couple of songs, the crowd were rocking (almost) and came 2nd in the competition. We also raised over £1,000 for or charity which in a hour long lunch break I thought was pretty good. The ID:30 sounded amazing. It wasn't overpowered by the 10x more powerful bass, it didn't get lost in the crowd noise or the open air, and it sounded as good out there with the volume cranked to 10 as it did when I created the patches back home in the office.

It was a great event - my first real live show (can't really call it a gig can I?) for a long time, and the little Blackstar was a real star. "Loud as valve" a gimmick? No - it really was. Roll on the battle of the bands competition later in the year.

11. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

TVP is definitely not a gimmick. I own the ID 15 and I never heard a 15 watt solid state amp being loud like the ID 15. It really gives a kind of tube power to the amp. Also when I´m playing my H&K Grandmeister in live situations, the ID 15 is a great backup and practice solution. When you like Marshall sounds it´s much better than a Mustang and also delivers real good clean sounds.

12. jetset95

jetset95 TDPRI Member

I never road tested the Mustangs but in the store the Blackstar blew me away by its ability to mimic a clean tube sound on the edge of breaking up and compete with a Marshall stack and an SG trying to drive it at 11. I love how it can pull a Slash Marshall tone with my Les Paul but also has those beautiful clean tones as well. I had two patches saved for the gig (did I really just say that?) where we were supposed to finish with the GnR version of 'Knocking On Heavens Door'. The ID nailed the clean chorus tone beautifully, and the Slash distortion for the lead solo was perfect. Unfortunately we were running over on time and so had to cut our set short and didn't play it :(. Still, battle of the bands next...

13. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up the ID:60 TVP head with foot switch today. I have only had a hour or so with it through my 1x12 cab so far but first impression is ... Ohhh Yeah! .... I better eat some dinner looks like it's gonna be a late night.

14. jetset95

jetset95 TDPRI Member

New "Old Amp" Models on Insider

I've been playing around with my ID:30 recently trying to dial in the tones of those amps from the past. So far I've got which I think is a pretty good version of a Fender Twin (6L6 or 6V6 if you want a smaller champ type sound) with the ISF on the left side of the dial / pond; My Vox AC30 (EL84 on the Clean Bright channel with UK ISF) can take gain all the way to 10 if you want which I just can't resist playing Queens 'Hammer to Fall' on; The JCM800 comes with EL34's and the Super Crunch pre amp but it's the Marshall Bluesbreaker which I can't stop playing through at the moment. KT66 tubes, you can use it from Clean Bright all the way to Super Crunch for a real Tube Screamer or Blues Driver dirty sound. On the clean setting I have my BD-2 in line (no effects loop on the 30 :() and it just growls. My tele loves it, the Les Paul just sounds soooo sweet.

Since getting this amp I'm playing more and more blues - the fact the amp can react like it's got real tubes in just makes me want to push that clean sound to break up and then La Grange seems to just flow from my fingers.

This channel seems really quiet, not surprising really with all the Fender Twins and Marshall Stacks out there, but if anyone has an ID especially now we also get the super wide stereo from the ID core model then let me know.

15. Scotland

With the new Insider 1.62' my 260 has the super wide stereo like the id core. Blasting from the 2 12" speakers is a phenomenal sound. The reverb in particular is huge.

16. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

Blackstar ID:Core club

I've not seen a club for Blackstar's new id:core amps. Today, I got my core 10. First impression? It's too good for the price. This is easily the best practice amp of all time, all things considered. Big, full sound. Light weight. Inexpensive ($100!). 6 great voicings. Authentic stereo effects. Phenomenal reverb.
    I've only played it for a short while, but I've never been this impressed with an amp.
    Shout out if you're with me!

17. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Tele-Meister

Two days ago I bought the Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 20 as a low volume modeler and for headphones practice plus dabble in some home recording. I got it because my nice VHT Special 6 Ultra 6W tube amp doesn't have any headphones jack so I can't really practice when the family is around. This ID20 amp is super neat with really good modeling and effects and most importantly I'm practicing more! This amp sounds awesome and 3D with its stereo full range speakers - great for MP3 play along. I've been testing its PC connectivity too. Via its USB connection and using the universal ASIO4ALL input/output configurable driver, I got it to work in Cockos Reaper, Riffworks T4 and Presonus Studio One 2 recording programs. Also I have a Y-splitter cable adapter on my PC speaker jack and can plug any computer output into the amp's MP3/Line-in jack to hear playback (DAW recording or MP3/YouTube, etc.) through amp speakers or amp headphones! This will also be great for when I'm learning or tabbing a song from MP3 or video at various speeds using VLC Media Player.

18. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

I've just ordered the ID15 TVP. I already own a HT-1R and have the 4x8 cabinet and both are a great bit of kit. This time I wanted some thing with a bit more power as the cleans on the HT-1 are just too quiet.

I'm also partial to modelling effects having own various Zoom and Digitech boxes over the years. I like to play with patches to get some useful tones.

The USB hookup was the final part of the jigsaw. I like to be at my PC whilst playing for things like tutorial videos and backing tracks. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this thing tomorrow!

19. love4god

love4god Tele-Meister

FOR SALE
    Blackstar ID:260TVP 2x12" 2x60-Watt Programmable Stereo Combo
    350.00 barbourville ky thanks godbless

Attached Files:

20. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

Anyone still running these amps? I’ve been thinking about getting a used ID30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.