1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blackstar HT5 head, volume issue

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by rojo412, Apr 15, 2021.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Recently traded for a Blackstar HT5 head and am having an issue I’ve never experienced before:
    The clean channel’s volume won’t go down to no output (0).

The dirty channel, no problem. Turn it to 0, no sound at all.

Clean, it gets quiet and the other way, gets kinda loud, but won’t go to 0. And frankly, I don’t know if it’s going up as high as it can either.

The pot feels good, no play or grind. It physically makes the whole sweep properly. If I tap it, I don’t get any static or cut out. The amp honestly looks very clean, no signs of abuse that I can tell.

Anyone ever have this issue before? Or any clues as to what the issue may be or how to diagnose it?

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

It has a simple pair of volume controls and probably yours has a bad ground on the clean control;
    Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 10.13.20.png

Lowerleftcoast and rojo412 like this.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Thank you for the advice, I'll check that out and see what happens. I kinda thought that could be the case. And it's easy enough to test conductivity to the ground.

Jon Snell likes this.
  4. rojo412

rojo412 Tele-Meister

Okay, I opened it up, cleaned the pot out and blew it with air, then reflowed the solder on the pot leads on the board...
    It works! :)

Lowerleftcoast and Jon Snell like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.