1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blackstar ht-1r tube upgrade anyone have experience?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by stepvan, Aug 15, 2020.

1. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So I am thinking about upgrading tubes in my ht-1r combo. The two tubes it is equipped are an eec82 eec83.

Any suggestions?

2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

If you want to upgrade that amp, you would probably get better results by changing the speaker - assuming you have the combo.

It's not a particularly transparent circuit IMO, and why I think valve changes may well deliver underwhelming results.

wevard and stepvan like this.
  3. stepvan

Thanks, a speaker upgrade was in mind too, but I really do not have to many complaints with the stock one. Any suggestions on a speaker?

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

JJ ECC802 for the output. It's a long plate ECC82 ( 12AU7 ) and it sounds fantastic as an output valve in tiddler amps.

Sovtek 12AX7LPS A long plate 12AX7. Combined with the above, it's cream in place of milk in your coffee.

Before replacing the speaker, try running it without the back on the amp. You may like the sound of an open back combo.

What changes do you want/expect? A 1x10" cab opens new worlds up. If your Amherst is the UK Amherst, the Gear4Music SubZero 1x10" ( The blue one with the Celestion ) is a great sounding little cab for tiddler amps.

riga_rig likes this.
  5. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions.

I myself found the amp totally underwhelming and wouldn't spend an extra penny on it.
    But certainly, the combo speaker fails to cope with dirt and becomes pretty muddy and poorly defined pretty quickly. May be I'm spoilt, I usually play Orange amps between 15 and 50w, and found them just to be miles ahead in terms of sound.

If it wasn't for my son wanting to keep it, the HT1 would be long gone. I've had an Orange AD5 that was way better in terms of sound (no master volume though....) and will use my AD15 and get better (stellar even) sound at any volume than the HT1 can.

stepvan likes this.
  6. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I bought my HT-1 for $80 used at a pawn shop with a bad speaker out hack. Since they are hybrid amps I don't think tube swapping will have a major effect on the sound. A bigger speaker like a 10" would be a big upgrade, but requires a new or separate cabinet. Mine sounded way better played through my DRRI's 12" speaker

My HT-1 got little use for a few years; like the Champion 600s I owned during the same time I just didn't care for the sound. Fortunately I didn't trash it because a couple of years later I needed a low volume amp that I could use in my condo. I use a Boss EQ pedal to get the tone shaping I want. Now even with the stock speaker it can sound pretty good. I have found that it works well with all my other pedals. And now I don't have to use my DRRI as an extension cabinet.

stepvan likes this.
  7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I know that it isn't a popular opinion. However, I have had excellent results when replacing stock preamp tubes with the Gold lion gold pin 12ax7s. No more fizzy overdrive. They get great distortion as well as articulate clean sounds. They cost more than basic preamp tubes. To me, they are worth it.

stepvan likes this.
  8. wevard

wevard TDPRI Member

I will agree with the speaker change. When I was shopping for that amp, I tried both the combo and the head+cab option. The latter was more open sounding, with better defined highs. From the cabs I tried (1x12) the Orange ppc112 was the one I took home. It brings the best (to me) of this amp.

9. stepvan

I have been really enjoying this amp as my practice amp. Mine seems tight overdrive wise and not too muddy. Maybe mine w as built on a Wednesday

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

preamp :JJ EC83s ... the rest depends on what you want in the powerstage: early saturation,clean h, etc

I have the HT-dual and the JJs made it much smother,warmer,great harmonics...more organic

I use it in a VHT Special 6, too..with the same result..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  11. 84GTIRookie

84GTIRookie TDPRI Member

I just hit purchase on an older Blackstar HT1RH! I plan to plug it into a 1x12 Celestion Greenback cab, and put an EQ pedal in front of the amp.

QUESTION: The amp uses a ECC83 for preamp, and ECC82 for Power tube. The ECC82 tube is low output. In the past, on other amps, I have changed from ECC82 to ECC81 for a boost. I have a bunch of all three tubes laying around. Anyone ever try that on the Blackstar? Thoughts? Thanks!

I find that every tube, even if it's the same brand and same model, is way different in terms of gain. It's amazing if you swap out two tubes with the exact same brand and model... it will perform different (I guess due to MFG tolerances?). On all the amps I have, I just keep swapping tubes and trying till I find the ones that have the most snarl. So the question is whether the Blackstar could take a ECC81 in power slot? Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.