1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blackstar Fly

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by warthog, Sep 26, 2020.

1. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

I've been using the Blackstar Fly at home for a while and wow it sounds amazing! Sometimes I think it sounds better than my main rig. Anyone else rocking the Fly?

It's made me consider getting a Blackstar amp...

The Fly actually takes fuzz pedals really well!

20200430_183437.jpg

2. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Glad you like it. I don’t care much for mine.

It has its place as a battery operated amp for the beach. If it weren’t for that, it’d be gone, gone, gone... (I don’t care...).

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have the stereo pack model. The extra speaker is worth it. Mostly used as speakers for my television, for which they provide sound an order of magnitude better than the built in atrocities. Also connected to my television is an Android box. Instant play-a-longs to Youtube backing tracks in the living room when I have the house to myself is a guilty pleasure.

For close quarters playing, they sound really quite good. The delay and stereo speakers make it special. The ability to get some space between each speaker helps. Backing tracks, television speakers, general knockabout speakers for hooking a 'phone to too, they excel. Inexpensive battery amps may have moved on, but the Blackstar showed what could be done. Better than my main amps?, No. Nothing beats a small valve amp ( to my ears ). Very good nonetheless.

bsman, stormsedge and Tele_Luvr like this.
  4. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

I have a stereo setup and the Bluetooth amp. It’s pretty great for its size, but I wouldn’t put it against my Fender Mustang LT25 modeling amp, which didn’t cost that much more. I mostly use it when I’m watching a video on my phone and want better sound. iTunes, Spotify, etc.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t get along with blackstar especially their amps that just have the single tone

I have the katana mini with the 3 band eq it sounds great for its small size

6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have the Super Fly Street Pack and Ext spkr (w/BT). It saved the day last Saturday.

bsman likes this.
  7. Tele_Luvr

Tele_Luvr TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I have a Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 20 V2 modeling amp. It sounds a lot better with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50X headphones, tho, than thru it's two 4 inch speakers.

[​IMG]

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have one somewhere, I was not impressed with it.

9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I had one... It lasted one hour

I wanted to like it as a travelling amp but I have a THR10 and there is no posible comparison

10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I had the Fly, but it got sold when I got the Katana Mini, Mustang LT25, and THR10C. I am curious to try the Debut 15E, which is basically a Fly with a tone control and the ISF control.
    It's a tweaked version of the LT Echo 15, with new cosmetics and has been re-voiced some to sound better, or so they say. I had the Echo 15, and it was better than the Fly, but I still like my other 3 more.

11. typek585

typek585 TDPRI Member

I love mine. And really impressed with how long the battery lasts.

bsman likes this.
  12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I improved mine considerably by changing the 3 inch stock speaker for a more efficient Neodymium 4 ohm speaker, added a 1/4 inch output jack and added a pair of Schaller strap lock buttons so I can wear my Blackstar Fly 3 strapped opposite my guitar, if I ever wanted to busk. I use my fly 3 into a 4X6 Quantum cab loaded with 3 vintage Alnico speakers and one Eminence Ceramic guitar speaker. Sounds fabulous.

13. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

You're right - you can buy three Fly 3 stereo packs for the price of one THR10, and the THR10 requires mains power. :rolleyes: Please refrain from comparing apples and elephants.

I have both the fly 3 stereo pack and the Super Fly (with extension speaker). If you are expecting to nail a specific tone with those, you are bound to be disappointed. However, the little Fly 3 is indispensable - I use it when I'm buying or selling a guitar on CL, because it's tiny and battery powered. I can take it places (I can fit both speakers, a wireless setup and all the associated hardware in a padded lunchbox) I would never take a THR (no batteries, inconvenient form factor). I can use the Super Fly for electric, acoustic and even bass, and it has an XLR input for mic. Far more useful to me than the THR and all of its modeling...

El Marin likes this.
  14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

The THR takes batteries.

15. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Still three times more expensive than the Superfly stereo pak - not a reasonable comparison...

Attached Files:

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, ok, not all the new models take batteries. The fancy wireless ones have built-in rechargeables. The older ones took batteries, I'm pretty sure. The THR5 definitely does.

Which I would actually recommend over either the THR10 or the Blackstar. The price is somewhere in the middle, the sound is fantastic, and I didn't need all the bells and whistles of the 10.

bsman likes this.
  17. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I still like the Fly 3. What it may lack in terms of tonal versatility it more than makes up for in terms of being portable and almost disposable. Also - I have been able to dial in perfectly usable tones with every electric and A/E in my arsenal. Can't ask for much more for my $75.

18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, but the THR takes batteries

Yes, but ten times better sounding

If you compare small battery powered portable and good tone amps, Fly 3 shouldn't be there

It should be in the crap amps zone, just there with the Gorilla and the VoX Amplug high gain

19. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

My ears beg to differ, but that's what makes life interesting. I find it works quite well for me.

20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Have you tested a Fly againt another amp? I have done it against Microcube, VOX DA5, THR10, Mini Katana (later), Fender Mini Passport... even Marshalito (not bad in a 2x12") and Fender minitwin (crap too)

I had them all, had the Microcube, the VOX, the THR and the Fly at the same time... and kept the good one, the THR10, unbeatable since 2012

Yes, to me Fly3 is the worst. I really wanted to like it, I thought the size would make it a perfect travel amp. But the sound is crap. Maybe I would stand the cleans, but the drive.... pffff And I don't use delays. My travel amp were the VOX DA5 during lots of years. I keep the THR at home most of the time until I decided The THR was far long better for everything and now I travel with an acoustic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.