1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blackstar Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by tjk3052, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Aussie

Aussie Tele-Meister

I've got a HT50 and 95% of the time I'm on the clean Channel. Thats with as bought tubes. Ive got a line 6 HD500 in front of it for fx only ( not amp modelling) and it works great. I owned most of the majors but this amp is the best all rounder. The dirty channel isn't half bad either.
    Greg

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I just joined the Blackstar owners club, I've just bought a HT5-R combo. :cool:

I admit I wasn't really aware of their history, but I wanted a smaller, lighter amp that I can take to rehearsals and plug into the PA if needed so I had a look to see what was available for around £300.

I tried it against a 5 watt Marshall amp and preferred the flexibility and sound of the Blackstar; for once I preferred the cheaper option of something. :) Better still the shop I bought mine from was doing a deal on the white version which no one else seemed to stock, but it was £70 less than the cheapest black one I found.

We've nicknamed it 'The Stormtrouper' due to it's strange appearance, but it sounds fantastic. I love the clean channel cranked up so just a hint of 'edge' to the sound. Back off a little and it cleans up and sounds lovely and clear with my Squier Telecaster. The dirty channel has so much range and I'm finally able to get those pinched harmonics that never seemed to work with my older Line 6 Flextone amp.

I haven't told my band mates yet, so I'm looking forward to next week's rehearsal. I'll also take some photos to add to this thread as I don't think many people realise that they make them in white.

I don't know if it's worth bothering trying different pre amp tubes (I know the power tube is a less common type); I may even have some ECC83/12AX7 tubes in the loft somewhere from a valve pre amp I built once. Otherwise I've found a few options on eBay/Amazon for not a lot of money.

3. KelvinS1965

Finally got round to taking some photos of my white HT5-R amp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to give an idea of size (sorry it's not my Telecaster :oops: ):

[​IMG]

4. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It looks good in white! Is it a special edition or is it just an option now?

5. KelvinS1965

I don't know: I've only seen it in white in one shop in the UK. The main reason I bought it was because it was £70 less than the black version (£279 verses £350). I thought it looked a bit odd at first, but I'm getting used to it. I bought it for the sound anyway, so the looks are a side issue.

Can't believe how loud it is though: This weekend we had a family party and I was asked to get it out: I have a pretty serious home cinema rig (MK speakers/separate power amps/2 x15" subwoofers) and this kept up with it as I played along with a few concert discs.

I'm taking it to rehearsal on Wednesday so I'm looking forward to seeing what my band mates make of it and how it fits in.

6. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I can.

I have a HT-1R and as small as it is, it's deafeningly loud when cranked.. I wouldn't gig with it, but for bedroom use it's plenty and then some, volume wise.

7. busman

busman Tele-Meister

I have the HT-5 Metal combo. Insofar as I can tell, the specs are the same as the regular HT-5R, and the only cosmetic difference is the steel speaker grill. Sounds great to me.

8. KelvinS1965

Just got back from rehearsals and the other two guitarists use Laney half stacks, admittedly they weren't turned flat out, but loud enough to hear against a live drum kit. The little HT5-R kept up and sounded great even on clean sounding tracks (with just a hint of break up when I really hit it). Everyone seemed impressed with it, me included.

As a bonus it's easier to lift than my Line 6 Flextone (which isn't getting much use now) and it fits into the boot of a little BMW Z3 I use for non work journeys. :D

9. dkpw

dkpw TDPRI Member

New HT-1R

I've just taken home an HT-1R to join, or possibly replace, my Mustang II.

While the Mustang is incredibly versatile, after two months of ownership I've become frustrated with the bells and whistles getting in the way of producing the sounds I wanted from my Tele. I wanted easily adjustable reverb and a warmer clean tone than I could find even after fiddling with all those buttons and tweaking the downloads.

The lure of the tube was strong.

I'd done my homework and knew that the HT-1R is small, not that loud on the clean channel but as I live in flat with neighbours all round, I was happy with that. I was still rather shocked to see how small it was in the flesh, when I tried one in-store. Plugging in my AM Special on the clean channel with the gain at 10 o'clock, volume full, ISF at 12 and reverb at 11 - I heard my Tele properly clean for the first time. :) The reverb reduced the slight boxiness of the totally clean sound and I was pleased with the volume, which is great for use in my flat.

On the overdrive channel, I turned the gain down and was able to find an acceptable clean with more volume than I will ever need at home. The nicest blues sound I've found is on the clean channel with the Boss BD-2 providing more gain and level, which I find less metallic than the Blackstar's gain.

So after a couple of days with it, I've really warmed to this little bundle of fun. I can easily dial in the sounds I want and it makes me play better, as mistakes are not hidden. Now what to do with the Mustang?

10. jaytee32

jaytee32 Tele-Meister

You really couldn't get a good sound out of the Mustang? I loved the sound out of my Mustang II, I hated the interface. You can't use the factory presets ... turn down the gain and turn off the effects, lots of good sound in there. For example the '57 deluxe, yowza.

I traded my Mustang II in for a Mustang III v2 and all is bliss.

11. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

New Blackstar convert here. Just traded my Deluxe Reverb RI for an HT Stage 60. What an amp!

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I traded in a mustang a long time ago for similar reasons.. have a htr1 & htr5 and can tell you plugged into the right cab the htr1 has no problem getting loud...

13. dkpw

dkpw TDPRI Member

As you say my friend, the interface is distracting. I agree there are many good sounds in the Mustang II, there are also many awful ones too and a good many I will never use. IMHO the best are the Fender historic amps, especially when used clean(ish).

It's all subjective, but to my ears the HT-1R is warmer and where I am now it's definitely easier to use. I'm also particularly pleased with the tone through my AKG K451 headphones. So for now I'm embracing the less is more philosophy.

Thanks, I've heard that. I've max'ed out my new Blackstar for a short time and that volume would be enough to attract the neighbours, and not in a good way. I do own a garage though, so some testing in their is distinctly possible.

14. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Used my Blackstar HT-60 at it's first gig last night... BLOWN AWAY. I sounded better than I ever have, and it reacted PERFECTLY to my playing. Wow. Happy Blackstar convert here!

stratoman1 likes this.
  15. snake_charmer

snake_charmer TDPRI Member

Jumping on board. I've owned my Blackstar Stage HT60 for a couple years now and it has served me well for many gigs. I've never had any problems with it, great cleans, nice heavy distortion for those rock songs as well. I would recommend this company/amp to other musicians.

16. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Question about the HT-5R and headphones.

Can I damage my headphones, if I'm being lazy and want them permanently connected, even while the standby is switched to 'ON'?

Or is there a limit to the volume that goes through the emulated out/headphones socket, thus protecting the headphones, regardless of whether the speaker is in use?

I'm sure it'll sound like a silly question to those who understand amplifier electronics!

17. snake_charmer

Well, I spoke too soon. As of late I've had some severe buzzing/humming issues with this amp!!! On the clean channel it's hardly noticeable but overdrive 1 it's very noticable and overdrive 2 is soooo obnoxious it's basically useless! Any advice?

I've disconnected all pedals, even the blackstar pedal, and still get buzzing running the guitars right out of the amp. I've also tried running the amp is several different buidlings, as well as various outlets.

18. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

I am a big Blackstar fan. I have an older HT-5C (non-reverb and 10-inch speaker), HT-1R sits in my living room for low volume fun and recently bought a Fly3 and was amazed at what it sounded like for its size.

19. Jaymann

Jaymann TDPRI Member

it's probably tubes. If you got 2 years out of the stock TAD tubes then you did pretty good.
    I believe the latest blackstars come with JJ tubes now.

20. snake_charmer

Yea, I found the following tubes on the blackstar forum I believe. Do you know the best place to order them is?
    I stopped in at the local guitar center but they didn't carry them.
    Power tubes - JJ KT77's
    Pre - V1 - JJ ECC803S, V2 - JJ ECC83S, V3 - JJ ECC82

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.