1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Blackstar Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by tjk3052, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

Ok, I'll start...

I just picked up an HT-5 mini full stack a week ago and really love this amp. Sounds huge at bedroom levels. I am still finding favorite settings every time I fire it up.

41144 likes this.
  2. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Yep, the HT-5 Mini Stack sure is a good thing!

[​IMG]

3. aussie2012

aussie2012 TDPRI Member

love my new HT20 studio combo,great clean's and terrific marshall gain,all round it's a killer amp:)

[​IMG]

4. hooch1

hooch1 Tele-Meister

I'll soon be a HT-5 combo owner when that UPS truck pulls up.

5. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

My setup..

[​IMG]

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I have owned a Blackstar HT5 head for about nine months and it really hits the spot .I run mine through an Eminence 105 10" installed in an old Peavey SS amp at home .In Studios or jam sessions I use a supplied 4x12 which is beyond awesome.They really are that good .

7. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

I like my Blackstar HT-5. But I get all my tones from a pedalboard using the HT-5 clean channel. I've found that just using the clean channel the Epi Vjr head is really just as good at 1/3 the price.

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Tele-Afflicted

the clean Channel on the HT-5 doesn't push out as much as the Gain one, so you could be missing out some sounds. I have both the HT-5 and an Epi Valve Junior combo. The Epi, whilst good, does not really sound as good as the HT-5.

9. hooch1

hooch1 Tele-Meister

I guess I will find out later today, but does this amp handle bluesy sounds well?

I had a Classic 30 but for home use only, I just felt it was too much amp. I never could get the volume knob over 1.5 and it was very ice picky on the clean for my tastes. May have been the stock tubes. Anyway, I see a sale on the HT-5, read how it has USA-Brit variability, head phone jack and some good reviews so I jumped on it and returned the Classic 30.

But now after most reviews sayings its geared towards metal type distortion (which I don't play), I'm starting to regret my decision even before opening the box.

10. johnreardon

I play blues as well along with most other music types, on it with no issues. I just plug straight into the amp with no pedals and it's great.

I also have a Marshall Class 5, which is a great amp as well, however, the HT-5 is more flexible for quieter gigs. If only the Marshall had a Master Volume

11. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

All true, except if you are using the clean channel and pedals, which is the point I was making. I prefer my Big Muff, J&H, and English Muff'n to the gain channel on the HT-5. IMO if you get all your dirt from pedals then the Vjr will do just as good a job. That's no diss on the HT-5. A lot of people will like the gain channel,

12. johnreardon

I suppose it also makes a difference what speaker you are using with the Vjr. I just have the combo and despite putting a jensen speaker in, I found the 8 inch speaker to be too raspy. Perhaps the head version driving a 12 inch is better

13. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

I'm using the cab pictured above for both. I used to have a Vjr Combo and I did not like it running through the 8" speaker. It's probably not just the speaker, but also the cabinet and speaker size.

The gain channel on the HT-5 is nice. But I find myself liking the variety you get with pedals, which makes having a gain channel a moot point.

14. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

I don't play metal either. I think a lot of the reviews and ads for the HT5 are about metal just because that seems to be popular right now. The drive channel has a very warm growl that is easy to play with dynamics, IMO perfect for blues and rock, but with the flexible eq controls it will cover about anything, including metal.

Let us know your impressions after you break it in.

15. tjk3052

tjk3052 Tele-Holic

I bought an HT5 for the opposite reason, I was tired of having to use pedals into a clean amp to get dirt. If you are just running pedals into a clean amp, I agree there would be cheaper options.

16. hooch1

hooch1 Tele-Meister

I've spent some time with my new ht-5 combo today and I must say I'm very impressed. I'm not sure why everyone bags on the clean channel. I think it sounds pretty good. But yeah the dirt channel on this thing is amazing. And its plenty loud for home usage.

I wish I had some money laying around to get the larger one for playing out. :cool:

17. aussie2012

aussie2012 TDPRI Member

love my new HT20 studio combo,great clean's and terrific marshall gain,all round it's a killer amp:)
    [​IMG]

lost other image i had up,but here it is,i love this amp,one of the best i have owned,they have lovely clean's and the gain channel is fantastic,i gig with this in a 5 piece band and if i line out to pa can do bigger gigs! and is fantastic for recording,what i find weird on this amp is it don't have a standby switch,what you do is unplug the guitar input and it put's it into standby!:!::p

18. Steven70

Steven70 TDPRI Member

Blackstar HT-5

Bought a Blackstar HT-5 miked it up and used it in church today.
    Played a Boss ME-70 through it, and sounded great.:D

19. FraKcture

FraKcture Tele-Meister

Got me a ht20 head a few weeks back and i really really like it,

Clean channel is so much better than i expected, i plug in and i get instant great tone..; love it

Od channel is very usefull too, i really like the low gain settings,

I think you get very much amp for very small price...

20. phlip

phlip NEW MEMBER!

I've purchased the HT-40 Club 1x12 combo and WOW this thing kicks.
    Volume aside the big difference with the 40 over the 20 are the voice modes for the clean and overdrive channels.
    On clean you get an Classic or Boutique IE Fender with more head room or classic break up as you crank the volume.
    The Overdrive does a Marshall in one position and heads in a more Mesa Rectifier uber metal tone in the other. However turn the gain down and the Modern (Mesa) channel has a great modern blues tone with a fat dirt on it. Hitting this with my OCD clone gives the best saturated lead tone I've ever had.
    Plugging my Tele in and hitting the overdrive channel again gives a great fat tone.

The Emulated output sounds huge and is superb for late night use through a power amp/Hi-Fi and headphones.

Very versatile and a rocking good amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.