Blackout Tele dilemma

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by udoering, Jun 16, 2014.

1. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's

I need Your help, Tele-Community! I can buy a used Blackout Tele deluxe; I mean that model with an additional tele-neck-pu in the middle position. I have it at home t try it, an the dilemma is this: I love the look of it and the concept of this guitar, the bridge pu is usable, the inbetween-position bridge/middle pu sounds good also, but: neck an middle pu alone sound have too much bass, less highs; they sound just muddy, especially with a mild distortion.

So my question is this: if I would buy it, I would have to change pickups, at least the neck and middle pus. Which pickup sounds similar to my MIA 2010 Standard and are affordable, as the guitar alone will cost me € 550,-?

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Contact these guys, they're somewhat near you. Appears they specialize in Tele pickups plus others.

www.leosounds.de/EN/

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Several other inexpensive thoughts. Are the covers plated brass? If they are you could switch to nickel silver.

375 or a 500k volume pot would brighten things up. It will alter the bridge pickup also, but you can resistor it or just use your tone control to tame it a little. That's what it's there for.

Just thoughts, good luck.

4. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's

Thank You for Your thoughts, Spudcaster.

Well, inbetween I bought that guitar. Now, are there any Blackout Tele owners out there? If so, did You change pickups?

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

stock neck pickups in a lot of teles are very bassy/muddy. thankfully, there's a TON of excellent replacement pickups out there.

dimarzio twang kings are very open sounding and clear... but retain a lot of the tele flavor
    the lawrence L202 is a noiseless stacked coil that sounds almost stratty to me... very open and clean sounding

my favorite though, is the dimarzio area T. noiseless, open, and a pretty flat EQ. great for clean jazzy stuff or heavier blues/rock stuff.

the twang king and the L202 can both be had for about $50... the area T is about a hundred.

never seen this guitar before... i'll have to check it out. i love the tele neck pickup sound... having two of them sounds even better!

6. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's

Thank You, joeford. I just tweaked the pickups a little bit (up and down, I mean). The two neck pickups are darker sounding ones. The muddiness could be controlled by raising the treble sides and lowering the bass sides. But still they sound more like humbuckers than a single coil. The bridge pickup is much more on the treble side of sound. It sounds similar to my 2010 american standard bridge pickup, while the neck pu is much darker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.