1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Blackie"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fndtele24, Nov 3, 2006.

1. csharp

csharp Tele-Meister

The Method not the Madness

Another approach would be to replicate Eric Clapton's method. He started with a guitar that is so out of fashion at the time that they were available at low cost.

Perhaps present day Squier and MIM modifiers are true to the spirit of Blackie. (The low cost part, not the out of fashion part.)

2. Grey

Grey Tele-Meister

24k? I could buy my dream rig for that kind of moola.

3. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

One of the best sounding Strats I ever played was a Squire. It needed a good setup, but it sounded really good. I'd say that Squier modders have a good chance of putting together a great guitar.

Strat's didn't really have the popularity they do now when he put Blackie together. Still, if he ran into a bunch of pre-CBS Strats for $100 a pop, it was an exceptinal deal. We're talking about the era when the vintage craze was just starting.

Clapton gained his own popularity before putting Blackie together. With John Mayall, and Cream, he played a lot of Gibsons. Fender should have outbid GC on Blackie when it was up for auction, because even though it's not a Strat that Fender built, this particular Strat has already made them millions. He moved from Gibsons to Fenders, and boosted Strat sales for years. Featured the Strat on several album covers. This parts Strat has been a goldmine for Fender already.

What they make for the Blackie copies is insigificant compared to the money they've already because of that guitar. I'm not saying the Blackie copies should be worth that much, I'm just saying that they already made a mint on this thing.

Pete

4. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--
    Even if all the parts are cherry-picked from the "best" stuff you STILL may end up with a guitar that sounds like crap [or, at least a guitar that doesn't sound close to what you want....].
    I put stuff together all the time and every now-and-then I'll come across a pretty cheap "sleeper" that may need some work but still sounds better then an expensive Custom Shop [or whatever...] model. I've found Squiers that are great!
    Brian.

5. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

24k=...

25 black american strats
    or 60 black MIM strats
    or about 2% of the original guitar
    or 96,000 dunlop tortex picks from MF
    or 2402 fender whammy bars

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

But it's only about 10 overpriced Les Pauls.

And that's why they can do it!

Pete

7. ClearwaterMike

ClearwaterMike Tele-Meister

I'm with you -- I caught that statement, as well.

Actually, I'm okay with the idea of a factory-built relic. It's not for me, and I may personally think anyone who'd spend $24,000 on a guitar just because it supposedly looks like Eric Clapton's is a dang fool. However, it's his money, and he can spend it any way he wants to.

Who wants to make a bet that Guitar Center gets one of the replicas back, and one of the Fender techs takes home the "real" blackie. Who would know? I mean, after all, isn't that the point?

(BTW: Did you notice that "Blackie" is a registered trademark? They were very careful to put the "R" next to the name everywhere it appeared in the video.)

The video is clearly a marketing piece. I can't help thinking the guitar techs end up feeling pretty foolish spending their time re-creating a beat up, well-used guitar.

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Couldn't happen. They're not even remotely close to being able to reproduce "Blackie". Check the attached image of the real Blackie's bridge area.

The guy's at GC who own it are very aware of what this guitar looks like.

I think it's a pretty standard practice for Fender to pretend they own something like a name or a shape, before they actually do. But I'm sure they're try to register it as a trademark. Sort of reminds me of DiMarzio. All of a sudden none of the pickup companies could build cream & black zebra pickups cause DiMarzio copyrighted it or something. Why would anyone do that, and why were they allowed to?

Pete

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  9. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

10. ClearwaterMike

ClearwaterMike Tele-Meister

Hey, boy howdy -- that bridge is a mess! I can't imagine duplicating the combination of bent and twisted parts and rust and things.

But, isn't that just the point? Somebody wants you to believe that every detail has been faithfully reproduced on each clone, yet, if you can tell the difference so easily, why would anyone spend that kind of money?

But, then again, it's so very far out of my price range, that it's like looking to buy a Lear Jet or something. Maybe if I had that kind of money it'd look different to me.

11. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

I wasn't even noticing the bridge pieces all that much. What I was seeing was the uneven finish. I don't think that could be duplicated because I think that it's the finish sunken into the grain.

I know I've made several posts where it sounds like I'm coming to FMIC's defence, which is something I don't really like to do. But to keep things in perspective, people spend more money than that on cars and SUVs all the time, often as a status thing. And the Blackie copies are a much better investment than most vehicles, which will basically depreciate drastically by leaving the dealer's parking lot.

As a player guitar, $24,000 is just insane though.

Pete

12. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

I read through that a couple times. I'm not seeing anything indicating that Clapton owns the name "Blackie" though.

But I imagine they'd probably need EC's permision to attempt to duplicate a guitar, and market it as a copy of his ex-Strat Blackie.

I'd call my black Les Paul Special "Blackie", but EC's already used the name!

[​IMG]

Haven't been able to come up with any other "black" names I liked. He's using "Slowhand" too, so....

Pete

13. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

My reactions to watching the Blackie vid:

1. The dremel tool to age the fretboard was... wrong. Somehow, I just can't get to like that. It's a $24K instrument. Can't you do it by hand?

2. Same thing applies to the bodies, all being cut and routed by some machine. Again, for that price, do it by hand. What's the need to have all those master builders if you end up using some automated robot?

3. While on the topic of the master builders, am I the only one who felt weird seeing them all around that table, manhandling each and every part of that guitar? it looked like a bunch of first year med students grabbing different body parts of a corpse... no respect, no care. I am probably wrong, but that's how I felt viscerally upon watching it.

4. I don't think I'd ever seen that many strat bridges in one time :)

5. what was that they were putting on rag to rub against the back of the neck... shoe polish?

14. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Reading this thread, I feel a return of GAS for a modest unassuming used Robert Cray Strat in Inca Silver, lightly flamed maple neck, priced at $375 last w/e...

Mik

15. mojocasterman

$375 for a MIM Cray is the heist of the century! JUMP ON IT!

16. brillocaster

brillocaster Tele-Holic

I just toted up a list of guitar equipment that I would buy if I were suddenly fabulously wealthy. It did not even remotely approach $24k.

17. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

I just checked out the Cray's on ebay, out of 3 necks NONE is as purty as this lightly figured one...and this a consignment I bet I can do better than 375...I'm glad I was on a motorcycle when I found it, if I had the truck I'd a bought it...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...:rolleyes: :twisted: :lol:

I have no interest in cheap amps, why do cheap guitars give me GAS??

Mik

18. mojocasterman

man, for that money, you can turn around and sell her for $450 anyway, so what the heck is the downside? :)

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Hmmm

New 16 track studio with a huge hard drive.
    New condenser mics
    New monitors
    New Twin
    New American Strat
    New HD28
    New PRS 22

I'd probably have 8 grand left over.

Hmmmmm

New PA

Yep; that's what I'd do.

20. Sol_ie

Sol_ie TDPRI Member

ot: Anyone else think it's funny that they have a 'Buy Now' button beside Peter Green's Les Paul? The temptation to click...Sure I'd be on the run, but I'd be on the run with Peter Green's Les Paul..Sigh...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.