1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Blackie"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fndtele24, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Johnny Caster

Johnny Caster Tele-Afflicted

Oh you haven't heard? Ugly & unplayable guitars have much better tone.

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Would that payoff make "Blackie" the best guitar buy of all time in terms of value?

Makes the Jeff Beck Tribute Esquire look like a bargain.

3. zane

zane Tele-Afflicted

Yeah he bought 6 of 'em in Nashville for a $100 a piece gave one to Steve Winwood,one to Pete Townshend, & one to George Harrison , then built Blackie using the other 3 ;^)

Here's a link with a little more "stuff" to it...has the full story + more pix & stuff here...

http://www.fender.com/blackie/

4. zane

zane Tele-Afflicted

What I wanna know is why it has a trem bar ...Clapton had the trem blocked with a pieace of wood...;^)

5. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

I imagine it comes with a trem bar just because many people don't block them. I'm sure they'd be annoyed if it didn't include one.

Pete

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

Steve Winwood, Pete Townshend, & George Harrison got the duds?

So actually, there're 2 Strats from that batch of 6 that aren't accounted for. Is that correct?

There's a link to what seems to be the original of the video on myspace on the link you give. See the media section.

Pete

7. Tremo

Tremo Banned

24 large is INSANE. Yes, you could buy some real nice guitars and amps, several, for that kind of scratch.

The Blackies are for guys with more money than brains.

8. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Black Guitars sound better!

9. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah it kind of makes me wonder when Paul Allen is going to do a duplication of Clapton's other stratocaster Brownie?

10. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Here is the image of him playing it
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/clapton/

11. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

* "Blackie" has an MSRP of $24,000 with a Guitar Center Guaranteed Lowest Price of $20,000.00*

I don't Guitar Center is going to get much because

* A significant portion of the proceeds will go to the Crossroads Centre, Antigua, founded by Eric Clapton. For more information about the Crossroads Centre, Antigua, please visit http://crossroadsantigua.org.

12. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

It's too much of a paradox to even consider.

13. ToneFan

ToneFan Tele-Meister

Blackie...

Back in the '80s "Blackie" was frequently pictured in the guitar mags of the day, and talked about when they did interviews with Clapton... Since I was a big Clapton fan, I put my own "Blackie" Strat together with MIJ parts from a few Japanese Strats... "V" shaped maple neck, black body, blocked trem, "aged" knobs & pickguard etc... Still have that one...

When they sold the real one at the Christie's auction in NY, I had an invite, through a contact at Sam Ash, to inspect the guitars on display before they sold 'em... Not that I had a chance in heck to buy even the cheapest piece at the auction... Anyway, it was alot of fun to see all the vintage stuff that was in Clapton's collection... I was especially excited about seeing the star of the show... And there was the real "Blackie", standing right across from the "Cream" ES-335... All the guitars at Christie's were simply sitting on guitar stands, some on pedestals, but right out there, as was "Blackie"... All in all, it looked like what it is, a beat up old Strat... I truly believe that the essence of that guitar can only be felt by Eric himself...

I guess the Custom Shop undertaking is historically interesting... But I'll stick with my MIJ partscaster...

JM

14. Pete Galati

Pete Galati R.I.P.

15. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

So now overpriced guitar addicts are helping to treat drug and alcohol addicts? I think Crossroads may need a GAS wing...

16. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I sure hope they get the gap around the neck pocket right. We all know how important the gap along side the neck is to our tone!

Bwah ha ha ha ha!

17. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on that, chum.

18. Joel Terry

Joel Terry Poster Extraordinaire

"Sho-Bud"--Shot Jackson and Buddy Emmons' old music store down on Lower Broadway, right hear in good ol' Nashville.

[quote='caster oil]Just think what 24K would buy in new instruments...[/quote]
    You two are men after my own heart. With $24K, I'd go on one wild-assed Fender Japan shopping spree at Ishibashi Music. :p

Joel

19. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--
    I love the grey-bobbin later-vintage pickups.......maybe this will help to blow the "mojo" out of the water when people begin to understand what is REALLY used to get all those "classic vintage" tones on all those records!
    Brian.

20. Twin Reiver

Twin Reiver Tele-Holic

What a bunch of bozos.

It just gets to the point of being ridiculous. That big close up of the router carving the body. It took a real master luthier to flip that switch. And there is a real smugness to it all as well.

Somebody's gonna have to put a lot of braces on a lot of rich kids to have one of those in their waiting room.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.