Blackguard Recreation

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dalek, Feb 10, 2009.

1. dalek

dalek TDPRI Member

I'm primarily a bass player, but have always had this admiration for Leo's early Telecasters. Sometimes I wonder what those early guitars would have sounded like brand new out of the factory.

So I thought about trying to recreate a Blackguard telecaster using new parts from various suppliers. For example, Musikraft offers Blackguard bodies and necks, Don Mare and other could wind vintage correct pickups, and there are many others with vintage exact or near exact hardware. My early research has revealed that I'll have to compromise on some of the electronics, but hopefully not by much.

My goal is not to assemble a relic that simulates fifty years of aging, but to recreate a pristine Blackguard using currently available parts that accurately resemble the look, feel, and sound of those guitars when new. I'm not even considering rolling the neck edges for enhance playability. Just trying to simulate brand spanking new out of the case.

Am I looking at an insurmountable task or is this a feasable project? And if feasable, does any one have thoughts regarding part suppliers, body finishers, etc. for the project. Thanks.

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

It makes sense to me. It should be accurate. OR Is the majic of those guitars the sound coming off a 50 year old piece of wood ~ like wise on the the pick ups, strings and throw in the amp for good measure. It would be really really cool if somebody found a stock, un-used Tele brand new in the case stock everyhting. That would be a test to remember.

Gary

3. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

BG

Dale,
    I'm guessin' alot depends on how "deep" you want to get into this. That means financially, too; period correct or today's availability? Angela Instruments has some cool NOS items and new(er), also. For me, it's Fralin for pups. You tell Lindy what you want and they'll wind it, period. Or repair/rewind old ones busted. I just bought my first neck from Musikraft and I'm pleased...so far. It's still waiting to be installed. We all could go on, for sure. Everyone has there preference. Since you're in Escondido, you may want to use suppliers from the left coast. I lived in SD for 9 years and G&L/Buffalo Bros. must be just down the road! But, I digress....If you're real serious, get a copy of "Blackguard" by Nacho...? help me, here guys. Anyway, that'd be a great start for your research. I'm pretty new here and I'm just getting into builds. Wishin' I'd done it long ago. All the best and post what you decide to do. And, I'll be postin' some pics of my build, soon......
    hth...

4. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Took 5 years of R&D and hi 5 figure $$$ to get there but it's possible.
    You can't assemble this from parts... you'll have to build it if you want it 100% correct.
    see here

5. mowcheeba

mowcheeba Tele-Holic

It all depends how far the rabbit hole you want go?:)

First you have to answer some questions because the answers
    will more or less dictate what parts to get...

How close to the original do you want it and how much money
    are you willing to put into the project?

If money is not a problem, here is my list. I can post more precise
    specifications on necks, pickups, later if you want....don't have the time
    at the moment.

- Swamp Ash body from Brian Poe www.hightechtool.com/guitar
    - 1-piece Maple neck from Musikraft or custom built from a guitar builder.
    - Don Mare pickups www.buckcannon.com
    - Fender bridgeplate and controlplate. www.angela.com
    - Brian Poe Broadcaster Knobs www.hightechtool.com/guitar
    - CTS 250K Pots and CTRL 3-way switch with bakelite knob www.angela.com
    - Angela/Jensen PaperOil capacitors www.angela.com
    - Callaham Bakelite pickguard www.callahamguitars.com
    - Brian Poe jack cup www.hightechtool.com/guitar
    - Kluson Deluxe "Single Line" (made by Gotoh)tuners from www.rockinger.de
    - Slotted screw set from Glendale www.glendaleguitars.com
    - Nitro finish (not that aged yellow butterscotch more honey blonde)

That's a good start I think.....

6. dalek

dalek TDPRI Member

Thanks for your insight and great suggestions. It will be a fun project. Nacho's book is on its way, and of course, the search function on TDPRI will be very valuable.

If anyone has other advice or suggestions, please let me know.

7. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

99%

I agree with Mowcheeba 99%....The only alternative to Don Mares pups might be to check out Fred Stuarts blackguard pups or look for an old set of Alan Hamel pups...This is not to disrespect Dons work in the least....But the advantage that the two other guys had was that they actually worked in the custom shop and had access to hand written notes on pup building written by Leo...Does that make theirs more accurate....I can't answer that.....just giving you an option.....as far as the other suggestions about neck and body etc.....if you want it exact.....these are by far and away the best sources....

Bill Hullett

PS I owned an original nocaster (0514 featured in the blackguard book that you're getting) and I built a retro partscaster just in the same manner you're describing with wonderful results!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!!

8. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Building a relic is a cool DIY project. Just take your time and do it right.

9. mikem

mikem Tele-Meister

like this...

here's mine...every thing mowcheeba outlined above with a few exceptions, lollar vintage T pups, and an allparts soft V neck. i finished assembly about two years ago and the nitro is relicing nicely with daily use!

i too used nachos book, collecting and doing research is nearly as fun as completing the project! i'd love start a new one...a late 50's blonde whiteguard esquire maybe...???

HAVE A BLAST!

mike

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.