Blackface vs. Tweed sound difference?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Frankentwang, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

OP, I just noticed that you are 15. That a great age for to save some money for a Boothill 5e3 kit. Jump in, start learning about tube circuits. It will be difficult at first but the knowledge you'll learn will be of great use in the coming decades of your guitar experience.

Tim S likes this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Now you're just confusing him.

Frankentwang likes this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If someone can't hear and feel the pretty basic differences between those amps at 2-3 on the volume, than cranking them to distortion won't help either.

artdecade and Snfoilhat like this.
  4. Frankentwang

Frankentwang TDPRI Member

I would have thought the other way around, tweeds having that smoky, old, gritty sound. And blackfaces having that squeaky clean bite - slippery

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  5. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

That's exactly why I replied to the post that I did, anyone can read those descriptions and interpret them however they like.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Get a Brownface, best of both worlds imo. Except for a Silverface. Oh well.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

1st big difference; is the reverb. BF amps are drenched in it; & their tone revolves around it; whether we like it or not. Tweed amps are of course devoid of such a thing. So they sound drier maybe, but also more immediate - "woodier" comes to mind

2nd tweed amps are not as clean (you're right on the grit), & they overdrive nicely as soon as you leave "3" on the dial. BF amps have a "universal" kind of clean, maybe the dearest of them all; and a metallic, hard overdrive, it's still nice in a searing, bluesy way. Almost nasty. To get an example of BF/SF overdrive listen to Freddie King or Albert Collins

Finally; yes Tweeds have more mids; tone is rounder; whereas BF has a hard scoop in the mids.

ce24 likes this.
  8. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Maybe.My Deluxe has a great clean.Very similar to this:

jman72 and homesick345 like this.
  9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Early ZZ Top is reportedly a Brownface Deluxe, so, neither tweed nor Blackface, really.

It is a little tough using such generalities with the tweed amps as there was so much variation. In all honesty, I can get my tweed Bassman and Twin to give up sounds similar to the later Blackface type tones by simply cranking down the mids control. It gets that sparkly, (to me) overly bright sound of the Blackface amps.

I have my first practice with a new band the other day. I brought my tweed Twin, the other guitar player had a Blackface Twin Reverb. My tone was fat, juicy and creamy compared to his.

Johan Segeborn does some interesting comparisons... Here's three generations of Twins, tweed, brown and black.

It's fun, but, he seems to only do them cranked. There's a lotta great tones in betwixt silent and these awesome tones. Still, you get a sense of how close, and some of the subtle differences.

AlbertaGriff and BobbyZ like this.
  10. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Eric Clapton (post-Cream), or Joe B on the Three Kings Tour, Keith Richards, Neil Young: Tweed

Grand Ole Opry: BF

monkeybanana likes this.
  11. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Buddy Miller: SWART AST, which I think sounds like a Tweed with reverb. Some people think it's somewhere in between a Tweed and a BF

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Early Marshalls (including the 1962 "bluesbreaker" and the plexi) were based on the Tweed Bassman.

Derek Trucks: BF

Jerry Garcia: BF Twins (but he sent the preamp signal out to bigger power amps)

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal for $30 and you can dial in 'any of those amps', as long as you know where you are going you can get there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.