Blackface Tremolo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by maplestor33, Feb 25, 2020.

1. maplestor33

maplestor33 TDPRI Member

I was glossing over the schematic of the '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and there's a diagram on the schematic showing the shape of the tremolo waveform before it hits the roach.

65DRRI.png

I'm sure most of you are aurally aware of how the Blackface tremolo sounds but I thought it was nice seeing a visual representation of the wave. It's not quite square, but pretty damn close.

I'm partial to the earlier bias-vary tremolo myself, but you can't argue that a lot of great music was made with the blackface tremolo.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a couple brown Supers, and frankly , I can't get into that 2-3 tube Tremelo everybody raves about.
    I like the BF roach Trem better, but in a band mix, it can get gnarly or disappear too much for me.. (caveat, maybe it's the low wattage amps I use, a Twin might not...?)
    I now use a trem pedal instead and actually I love it. Comes right through the mix very nicely, even at high intensity.

3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

My favorite Tremelo was on my MusicMan HD130. Favorite Fender is bias vary version on the Princeton Reverb.

Nowadays I prefer the trem from my Strymon Flint. I'm not the only person I know who bypasses built-in trem in favor of the Flint.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The bigger brownface amps like Supers had what they called harmonic trem. The small but might 6G2 Princeton has bias vary trem that only modulates the volume (no frequency component). That one is my favorite flavor of trem by a mile. I use the blackface trem on my Vibrolux Reverb sometimes but usually, when I'm not playing my brownface Princeton, I'm still pretending I am by using my Strymon Flint's imitation of the 6G2 trem. Glorious.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    rjtwangs likes this.
  5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I agree. The bias-vary trem is by far my favorite. The harmonic trem like the Professional line of Brown amps had is cool for a while but not nearly as useful as bias vary trem, imho.

The blackface/silver face Princeton’s (and Vibro Champs, I think) had bias vary as well, so it didn’t stop with the Brown amps.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, my little pedal has both the pitch shifting harmonic Vibrato and the volume changing Tremelo. I never use the pitch shifting. It just sounds weird to me and not what I'm looking for. One of the best pedal deals I've ever stumbled upon. I just bought it for giggles but it ended up my main Tremelo.
    [​IMG]

dannyh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.