Blackface Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by trxx, Dec 15, 2019.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I spotted one locally. I'm behind the curve on vintage amps but doing my homework. Any tips on things to look out for? Also, I wonder what should be a reasonable amount of allowable inspection (at a shop) for a vintage amp. Is it reasonable to ask to pull the chassis?

2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Most vintage amps (not just SRs) usually have some minor issues that can be fixed without too many problems.

Great sounding amps!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

On a vintage amp, pulling out the chassis for inspection is a must in my view. You would never buy a car without opening the hood, don't do it with a vintage amp either. You will want to see if the transformers are original or rusty, any obvious circuit alterations, corrosion, etc.

ndcaster, BobbyZ and nojazzhere like this.
  4. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I did notice what looked like a little surface rust on the power transformer, but I wasn't able to get a better look at the time. I just popped into the shop for some consumables and noticed it sitting there staring at me.

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A little surface rust is fine, you just don't want to see a boat anchor in there

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A couple things:
    -Speakers: a set of SR stock speakers is worth about $300 or more now. It should have the original speakers ceramic or alnico, or be priced accordingly. To me original speakers are part of the magic, although you can certainly use others.
    -Transformers should be the original Schumacher which start with a number code 606 xxx
    -It would be very good if it has the original blue Mallory caps on the board. The rest in there is not of large consequence.
    -Make sure it has the BF style cab and someone hasn't changed that. The speaker baffle should be screwed in to cleats that are about 3/4 by 3/4. No removable front grill panel held on by velcro.

I think asking to pull the chassis is reasonable for anything of much $ consequence, but some shops may certainly say no. It's all about asking price. For a real bargain I would just buy it after checking the things you can without pulling. I bought an early SF super for $290 once. In the store it kept blowing fuses. The store was putting the wrong fuses in! I made an offer they couldn't refuse.

SnidelyWhiplash, Rufus, meric and 2 others like this.
  7. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Very much appreciated schmee! I haven't found any of these points mentioned elsewhere in my searches so far.

schmee likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Possibly the best club amp on Earth.
    Never been a better time to buy.
    I bet it's under 1500.

Ricky D., mgreene and deytookerjaabs like this.
  9. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I guess the volume and weight of bigger amps scares away alot of people away from them these days, which is understandable for regularly gigging players who haul their own gear. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone using a big fender amp in a local bar or club. But I likes what I likes, and the next guy likes what he likes.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't had a shop refuse the request to look inside. Don't forget to look under the "dog house" where the filter caps are - if they are original, they should most likely be replaced and that will be around $100 +/-, unless you do it yourself. Plenty of photos in other threads of what the old, yellowish cardboard large filter caps look like.

trxx likes this.
  11. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Definitely worth a look. I know what the old caps look like. My old twin has them, and I'm probably pushing it not having changed them yet.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

How much do you like the transformer in your twin?

Viejo likes this.
  13. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Yea, it's pretty necessary.

meric and Mexitele Blues like this.
  14. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I ended up dragging that super home. It does need a little work. But after getting it home and giving it a proper play, I'm f*kin stoked with it's sound. Singing, warm and smooth, very nice breakup, and just the right volume for me. I kept it clean in the shop, under 5 on the volume, but that just doesn't wake the thing up to where it wants to be. I want to play, play, play this amp. But it has a static issue going on that needs to be worked out first. The tech hanging out at the shop pulled the doghouse and said that it has new caps, so hopefully the static issue turns out to be minor. A couple of other issues. The previous owner capped the rectifier socket and installed a diode rectifier. One of the speakers is a non-original CTS and the reverb tank is non-original. But other than the static issue, the sound is very good, both clean and pushed. The cab is in overall decent condition with a couple of bits of missing tolex. And someone installed some wood rails on the bottom where feet or casters should be. But I was looking for a player amp, and that it most definitely is. The price was honest and good, not a steal (schmee, you got a steal for sure), but taking into account what it needs to be back in stock form.

super_reverb_front.jpg super_reverb_back.jpg super_reverb_charvel.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  15. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

sweet amp for sure- congrats!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They are amazing amps. What kind of "static" ? Hissing? Crackling? Get that SS rectifier out of there and a tube back in!

rolandson likes this.
  17. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Like white noise, quickly changing volume erratically. I'll clean up the tube sockets, try some swapping, and then pull the chassis and look for any obvious joint issues.

18. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats.

19. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The really nice ones do look at you! o_O

20. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Also, someone installed a green lamp in it. I like the green lamp, so it will stay.

I think my dsl-50 will be going away. The super does what I used it for so much better. The twin will likely go too. A jtm or jmp 50 might be in my not too distant future to cover hard rockin duties.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.