Blackface faceplate question white paint vs raw aluminum lettering

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by nikonmikon, Oct 19, 2019.

1. nikonmikon

nikonmikon TDPRI Member

Ah, thanks for that. I think the brownface amps had this similar style of no-white-paint scripting on their front panels. I briefly got to play a blonde tremolux and I seem to recall it having the same idea going on. Not quotable though, it was too long ago...

Nothing under the reverb bag on mine, I'll check again sometime but it's very difficult to install so I'm not too keen on undoing it a 2nd time (the screw holes have been ripped out of the bag, the oversized washers hold it down by clamping force only). There is handwritten baffle/cabinet matching pair numbers in blue though. Just out of curiosity, is the reverb tank supposed to be cardboard up or down? The weather stripping is on top of the tank and that faces the sky. I feel like it doesn't do much if it's above the tank in the way of shock prevention... Unless the strips are for another purpose that I'm not aware of?

Thank you guys for chatting with me about this amp. I have long followed many many threads on here and I even recognize some of you guys. It's pretty awesome to be interacting with some of you who I recognize from previous research!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

okay, disregard my info about the errors in early ‘66. I could not see the stamps in detail. This picture above shows you have a Dec, 1965 amp. My apologies....but it is good to know about those articles. They are the basis for whatever serial number list you find elsewhere, and there is much detailed info there.

3. Wally

The reverb tank in a Fender should be open side down...with the cardboard underneath the open side...on the bottom. There are tanks for other applications that have different orientations....horizontal/open side up, vertical with different options.... All of the numbers on the tank have code information that reveal the orientation, impedance, delay time...

schmee likes this.
  4. Wally

Okay, I took a few shots here today. I also took liberties with a much-abused ‘65 Bandmaster chassis and scrapped a little bit of the ‘not really white’ faceplate color away. That silvery-white color is a finish...it is not the aluminum. Here is a pic of that evidence.....right where my thumb is we can see the finish and the aluminum where I lightly scraped the silvery/white away.
    Note: someone added that protection over the ‘Fender Musical Instruments’.
    9FC83850-E66B-4CEC-8F5F-B5EA1788134D.jpeg

Here is a shot of my 1996 Pro Sonic faceplate which has white that is whiter than the vintage white lettering.

67911449-9F7A-4A05-91BD-54419F1F14D0.jpeg

and here are two pictures of my 1963 prototype Pro. Note the lack of white around the Bright switch. Only the very early BF faceplates were done this way...
    C0DB634F-4BF4-4B55-AFF9-011E609BE8B2.jpeg 99341918-40B7-45C0-98C9-511D6614B6B3.jpeg

schmee likes this.
  5. nikonmikon

nikonmikon TDPRI Member

On your example the light colored elements of the faceplate (i.e. logo, legend, patent text, knob index markings etc etc) are definitely a paint of some sort. On mine it's not paint, there's a reflectivity that shimmers when you adjust the angle of the light. I am in awe that you took a scratching to it :eek:

There's a part of this that is really difficult to show in pictures of video and that's the shimmering stop sign-like reflectivity of the legends on the faceplate. It changes as you move your head/light angle changes. I tried to demonstrate it in this video I hope it's not dizzying :(

If you get a chance please check out the video I just made trying to show what I mean.

(I highly recommend 1080p60 or 720p60 to see the effect)

I notice on your Pro the intensity knob has a circle of white behind it, very interesting! Thank you for sharing your very interesting amps. One question, if the Showman is in your pro sonic cabinet.... what cabinet is the pro sonic in?o_O

6. Wally

Nikon, as I noted, this ‘65 /and master chassis is much abuse. Someone actually gutted it, hogged some holes in it, and built a solid state amp in it. I have rescued it. The crude holes have been repaired..as seen in the pics. So, I did not mind doing a light scratch to remove that bit of finish. And trust me.....the finish on your plate will show the same thing. Here are some holes that show different levels of abuse, wear, whatever.
    56C9E129-C045-4599-8FB7-6979AEE3B5E5.jpeg 56C9E129-C045-4599-8FB7-6979AEE3B5E5.jpeg T 3819C661-2CEC-42C5-8C91-90F721CD7393.jpeg A2B96C12-E846-48F2-A252-273C72DDCD10.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. Wally

And yes...good eye on that big ring on the Pro. It is a special amp...truly unique....a prototype that was built very early in 1963.

8. Wally

As for the Pro Sonic cab that houses the ‘64 Showman, that cab came to me without an amp in it. The original English G10 Celestions were in it....but they need reconing.

9. nikonmikon

nikonmikon TDPRI Member

Why would anyone ever do that?!:eek:

I played a Pro very briefly before I knew anything about them in a Guitar Center in baton rouge. The 15 sang quite nicely! How did you come into that prototype? Very cool find.

Wally, if you have time please check out this video

Ah cool! did you get them reconed?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.