Black widow spider bite sends Massachusetts girl to hospital

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ZackyDog, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I grew up and lived on the west coast for 41 years in black widow territory and don't know one person that had bad effects from a black widow bite. Now, up here in the brown recluse territory, I know people who have lost toes and fingers to their bites.

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

We call it the Brown Widow (Latrodectus Geometricus). From what I've read, it originated in Africa.

brown.jpg

There are lots of Latrodectus spiders around the globe:

18700843_10213425473813929_6145305357849717785_o.jpg

songtalk likes this.
  3. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Those little brown recluse will kick your hind end! At least that was my experience
    I still bear a reminder of my encounter some twenty years ago, a crater in my right ankle.
    Keep in mind that the young'uns and pets are most likely to share proximity with them.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

songtalk and ZackyDog like this.
  4. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Thankfully, I've never been spider bit. And I don't want to be. Like TD, I'd rather kill them (or have them killed) on the spot.

Snakes? Same story. I hate them with a passion.

5. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Not a fan of poisonous spiders or snakers, and perhaps living in the wrong state because of it. Most of my run-ins with spiders have happened in the wood or lumber pile (burning and building respectively). Thankfully a stout pair of gloves (kept inside) and a bit of shaking/banging before reaching in has mostly solved the problem.

6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

How I feel

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes, they don't release any venom; it's called a "dry" or "warning" bite. When they do, they (unlike The Brown Widow) can regulate the amount of venom that they inject.

8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Spiders, even if they don't kill you, can make life miserable.
    Keep in mind, you don't know what they Bit before they Bit You!

tonytrout, Obsessed and ZackyDog like this.
  9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This. They say that some pretty high number (like 75% or so) bites that the victim refers to as "brown recluse" are any number of non toxic spider bites. Most all spiders are venomous...just that it's not toxic enough to really cause a problem.

The problem comes from, as String noted, you have just received an injection of unknown bacteria and the swelling and tissue loss are attributable to that infection. Any spider bite should be immediately and physically cleansed to coax out and sterilize any bacteria possible.

songtalk and String Tree like this.
  10. william tele

This may sound a little silly...but have to tried thrusting your wrist toward a tall building? You never know...

11. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

They can also be deadly. Years before I met my wife she was stung by a bee (not sure what type) and went into anafalactic (sp?)shock. She nearly died from it. Obviously she need to now carry an epipen with her wherever she goes.

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I'm allergic to Wasps, bees don't bother me. I stay the hell away from Hornets.:eek:
    Got Wolf spiders galore in and around my house along with Jumping Spiders and the occasional Brown Recluse. Jumping Spiders are very good to have around because they will go after the other spiders, especially the bad types.

ZackyDog likes this.
  13. william tele

Is there not a medical diagnosis for people so that they can find out if certain venoms affect them...rather than getting stung at the company picnic 20 miles by boat to the nearest car, then another 20 to the hospital?

14. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Not since that bite... but as a child, while standing on the garage or porch roof? Yeah, many times.

Disappointment.

william tele likes this.
  15. Boltneck

Boltneck Tele-Meister

I have found a basic rule of thumb for spiders-pretty web-Good spider-Ugly web-Bad spider. Anytime you are outside or in the garage where there is a hiding space, under furniture ,in anything thats not in the open you can expect the Brown Recluse or the Black Widow. They usually don't build in the open areas ( these two) and you can cut down on spiders in general by not providing food like leaving porch lights on all night attracting moths and such that a spider just can't help but build webs near.

ZackyDog likes this.
  16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

@Boltneck

True at least for the widow spiders that make messy webs; they are cob web spiders. The silk is stronger than steel (no kidding) and are like "trip lines" for their prey.

upload_2017-6-12_16-1-39.jpeg

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

image.jpeg Met this one on the front porch yesterday.
    It's the first one I've ever seen.

ZackyDog likes this.
  18. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Whoa....that thing is just mean looking, isn't it

19. JORear

JORear Tele-Meister

This must have been what happened to me. I thought I was bit by a black spider. I didn't see it's markings but I did see it was shiny. I had fang marks and an instant pain on my arm. The fang marks looked like a black widow bite per Google, but I didn't get sick. Black widow bites are painful. I didn't realize they control the amount of venom in a bite. It all makes sense now.

20. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

This is actually what immunologists believe to be the link between tick bites and the mammal meat allergy (Alpha Gal) that I have.

Tick eats deer, tick eats dog, flesh rots in mandibles. Tick bites you and you start reacting to rotting mammal and incredibly caustic tick saliva and your body goes all "hystamine factory" and you start recognizing the greasy alpha-galactose sugars in the animal fat cells that linger and are difficult to metabolize, as the antigen and you build a false immune response to it.

All because the tick has a dirty mouth AND eats mammals.

Ticks are arachnids and once you become greatly sensitized to tick bites, one tick bite can cause old tick AND spider bites to itch again. Your immune system has a MEMORY!

catdaddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.