Black Wheels, Chrome Wheels, or Other...?

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Originals are the best...

1955 Buick Roadmaster Riviera.jpg

Beauty shot.jpg

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire

That hurts!

I like black rims plenty, have had them on several vehicles as far back as 1987. But I’ve come around to believing that it’s whatever’s best for individual vehicles - so we’ve got one primarily black, one dark grey, and one silver.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I am not a fan of black wheels. I think that black shows dirt more than silver, polished, or chrome. I'm not really a fan of chrome, either. I think that was a trend that was overdone. When shopping for cars I have passed on those with black wheels due to the cost of replacing them. My Cadillac ELR wheels are machined and silver painted.
Charlie ELR 1.jpg

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
My second set are off back order and go on a different car next week. I'm curious to see how much different these 45 series will be against the Outback's conservative 70 series. Performance aside, I expect the same amazing winter performance.

The CrossClimate2 are simply amazing.

GvTEq4f.jpg

I'm running cross climate2 right now on the wife's car. Not bad, but they are noticeably worse on hard cold stuff, ice or bare road, than the blizzaks I had on it last year. But, I'm not autocrossing, and it's nice to not have to swap wheels anymore.
No complaints in the summer.

Last edited:

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
These came stock on my mustang

IMG-20210927-140338235-HDR.jpg
I had white wheels on a white Chrysler Sebring convertible with a white top in the late 1990s. That was a trendy look that didn't last long. Volkswagen did it on their cabriolets, and I think a few other manufacturers may have done it, too.

Chrysler Sebring convertible.jpg

Last edited:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm running cross climate2 right now on the wife's car. Not bad, but they are noticeably worse on hard cold stuff, ice or bare road, than the blizzaks I had on it last year. But, I'm not autocrossing, and it's nice to not have to swap wheels anymore.
No complaints in the summer.
Yes, but noticeably better than most all all season tires. As an example we have Conti with DWS and still in S (snow) tread depth and while good, no way in same league as CrossClimate2.

With just shy of a year's use now I know I'll not do two sets of tires or wheels with an AWD vehicle again. They've got countless times up and down the ski area service road when others are stuck.

I had a coincidence of following a Model S in a snow fall to same parking lot. The guy asked me with a "WTF" how a VW wagon was keeping up with him at stop lights. He did not have stock wheels so I assumed winter wheels.